Some feed back please....

Bubblegum Bandit

My brother, who is light years beyond me when it comes to gfx stuff, decided to try and help is big brother out and come up with a logo/theme for FF08. I like his idea, especially the text and the sillouette type logo he's come up with....but I kinda feel like it needs a little something more to give it the lan party / FPS feel? What do you guys think? Or do you think its good the way it is? I have challenged him with adding enough detail to make the rider a more recognizable CT or T but still lacking enough detail for it to have the sillouette feel...

pwnyrides2.jpg

My suggestion: Horrible theme == No image. Just go with a text-only banner.

You know what, this really isn't needed or necessary. If you don't like the theme fine. We put it to a vote and this theme had more than double the votes of any other theme. You gotta run with something and that's what the majority winner was. If you can't provide constructive criticism then zip it.

Lev - that angle never came to mind for me but could be a valid one. My original vision was something like a CT leading a pony with a T or two tied up on it like a pack mule hauling its load.

I think a text-only banner would look swell.

The problem is that I'm assuming the source of this comes from the T-shirts that say "Free pony rides" with an arrow pointing down to the crotch area. Its simple and I get it. Free PWNY rides .... come play with us and get owned? Maybe an image of a T getting HS'd with a a scope or crosshair over him? IDK

I think a text-only banner would look swell.

How about something with taxt only (like the text you used) with a few colt rounds with a little smoke on the bottom looking like the landed on the ground. Keep it black and white (maybe a grey tone) but no color.

My GF is in advertising I could see what she could come up with also if youd like?

The problem is that I'm assuming the source of this comes from the T-shirts that say "Free pony rides" with an arrow pointing down to the crotch area.

This is the main reason I would rather it not be text only. I didn't even think from that angle until you posted it, but I don't want people looking at a shirt I'm wearing and thinking something like that. Thus the reason I think we need something that somehow explains what we mean by "free pwny rides." I mean we already have people who look at the word "Fragfest" and their eyes automatically take the R out.

Its simple and I get it. Free PWNY rides .... come play with us and get owned? Maybe an image of a T getting HS'd with a a scope or crosshair over him? IDK

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking when it comes to the meaning behind the theme. We just need something that clarifies that its the latter and not the former.

DNA, have her give it a shot... we'll take some help from any direction as long as its constructive.

(edited)

Feedback from someone who's not going *hides*

Just by reading the text, I instantly get the joke, a clever one at that. Hence it might not be necessary to put additional images conveying ponies or rides. I think you run the risk of spoiling the theme's effect by putting such images.

Instead, you could have "Free PWNY Rides" and put something cool, hardcore, like a mean-looking CT with a smirk on his face who's looking right at you with his M4 taking aim,

800future.jpg (basically a CG image instead of a real-life pic)

that places more emphasis on getting pwned. As Bewildered pointed out, the notion of "come play with us and get pwned" needs to be conveyed.

Or if a lighter tone is what you want, then maybe something like

pwnage11.jpg (not the most suitable of images, but you get the idea)

Or something cute

1114596744.jpg (meet mo, sniping from his NYC apartment :D)

Also, kudos to Bandit and everyone who's working on this. Bringing a theme to life is never easy. Tried it once myself.

Just my 2c's worth :)

Edited by lousiest

I honestly like where you're heading. I've been too focused on the pony aspect I think. While I don't want to go text only, I could be swayed to the point you're making with the right image. Two things though, 1, you can't just go ripping off images on the web and putting them on a t-shirt and banner without a risk of a copyright lawsuit, and 2, it needs to stay to 2 or 3 colors or else the T-Shirt starts getting too expensive. More colors = more screens = more money.

DNA
(edited)

So I came home put this together as a concept of what I was thinking...what do you think.

ff08demodu7cq3.th.jpg

With a tag on the back or front of shirt saying something like...."Open Daily 24/7" or something

Edited by DNA

I like that last image the best so far. Ok, heres another simple idea thats mostly text:

How about an image where your looking down a scope. You see the words "Free PWNY Ride" The lines/text are either white or black depending on teh color shirt. The scope is sighted on the W in PWNY and you could have that letter either red, or have blood dripping down it or something.

I really like the simplicity of the image in the first post.

I think the key to making the shirt not be misread is to have "PWNY" in all caps while "Free" and "Rides" only have the first letter capitalized.

Personally I think that the simpler ther shirt, the better. I don't really like the gray shirts we had with what looked like a hand-drawn (in incredible detail) CT on the front. I much prefered the simpler black shirts from the year before that.

Simpler is better.

• 2 weeks later...

I love it, but agree with Fatty that it needs to be a T riding a CT, still with the silhouette look and the typeface is really nice, but only needs the PWNY part in caps imo.

Also, in the totally foreseeable event that we have a small line up of pre-teen girls at FF09 who came specifically for free pony rides, who is going to be the pony?

Also, in the totally foreseeable event that we have a small line up of pre-teen girls at FF09 who came specifically for free pony rides, who is going to be the pony?

Clueless was first to put his name on the list for that.

certainly you mean "specifically for free pony rides." there's no way clueless is big enough to be the pony...