Why the Mac and Apple will always be at the bottom

ZeroDamage

http://www.typecrisis.com/2008/04/10/apple...-as-a-customer/

A blog that a buddy of mine and I set up. The idea we have is that we are both equal contributers to the blog. We have just about everything in common in regards to interests, etc with one major exception: politics. I am a straight up conservative on most things and he is pretty much liberal. We both know this and do not care and my idea was that we post about whatever we want and since we both respect one another's opinions and have had many political discussions with one another, this seemed a logical step. So here we go.

So yeah, I think Apple lost me as a customer today. Arrogant and condescending customer service.

Just a quick edit, I am looking for a theme to use until he gets familiar with the Wordpress format and we design our own. He is a web designer/developer after all. It will change a lot while I tweak it up.

Edited by ZeroDamage

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree that apple should have treated you nicer, I'm sure you began with a confrontational attitude that forced them to start in a defensive posture making sure neither of you would end up happy. If you watch car commercials around July they will say "Buy a 2008 model and save 60 percent off the original sticker price" Lets say that we're talking about a non-existent Geo Unreal. The Geo Unreal sold on arrival day for $20,000 max and around $15,500 for the base model. Now after that 60% savings you can buy one for $13000. The numbers don't add up and so if you find the manufacturers suggested retail price it is $30,000 for that $20,000 maxed out car. (my percentages are off, but who cares- you get the point. This is practiced everywhere by almost every company. It is not exactly false advertisement since someone somewhere has prolly paid that full price to get the products, but the average person who deletes that email from the Nigerian ex-president, who wants to give us millions of dollars, has never paid an msrp price before.

Why anyone would want an iphone anyway is beyond me. I just use mine for, get this ladies and gentlemen: Talking on the phone". I can understand why someone who is away from home a bunch may find the need to check email from an air terminal to see if the pictures of his kid is there or needed to send a business related email to someone while on the road, but for all it's touted convenience features I bet most people are like me and end up using it as a phone and finding all the great features going to waste because they don't want the battery going dead on them and not having a phone.

Maybe I'm wrong, and don't care if I am cuz it doesn't matter to me at all lol, but when push comes to shove your phone might be a great pasta shooter, server as a laser level to carpenters or also have a paint sprayer nozzle that pops out the ear phone jack and I could give a flying crap cuz I just wanted to talk to people from time to time on it and have no actual usage requirements besides that.

To Quote the 800lb Gorilla, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong" .

Please do not assume my attitude or posture towards Apple when I called. I was actually psyched that the refurbs were back online and in stock. The dude immediately started cutting me off and was very condescending. I know how to talk to people on the phone to get what I want; I had to do that type of job at one time. I know how things work.

Please do not assume my attitude or posture towards Apple when I called. I was actually psyched that the refurbs were back online and in stock. The dude immediately started cutting me off and was very condescending. I know how to talk to people on the phone to get what I want; I had to do that type of job at one time. I know how things work.

No you don't.

Kidding - I remember your post looking for someone to pick one up for you a few weeks (months?) back. And I'm the same way... giving people the benefit of the doubt, but if things don't add up, watch out. I WILL catch people in lies, call them out on it, etc.

Don't let one person representing thousands ruin it for you. The computer will do that all on it's own.

Kidding..

I'm one who baled on mac LONG time ago, after using Atari's for music (midi) I finally caved and went PC

and I'm simply happy as can be.

All that soft : ) gotta love it.

macs are nice but I have to say zero, simply call them back and file a complaint because it's not fair to others (good people)

at apple who lose customers due to a jerk like that. You will do them a service by filing the complaint.

Aug

Failing a complaint means very little when you do not have the name of those that you talked to. It will just come off as witching. But it may be worth it, they may actually honor the price. Although the price will drop anyway with the new stuff coming in the next couple of months so I am just going to wait. If all else fails, I will spend the 250 on a Blackjack 2.

You would be mostly filing a complaint because you didn't like there pricing. Yes I know the rep whats a horses donkey to him, but that happens to every company. Just call back and I bet you get a nicer/smarter person. Unfortunately they show the oldest highest price they can because it makes it look like a better deal. They do this with their LCD's (which still in the refurb are expesive as hell) Maybe its unethical, but not false advertising. They can just say that refurb was bought originally when it was the higher price.

I have seen them on the refurb for 250 and for 350, and yes the same model.

Just keep looking in the morning to the refurb store (Its refreshed everyday, but yes the big refreshes come on tues/thurs)

I don't know what you're trying to prove here, but the iphone 8gb's original price was $599. Your comment on the blog: "You cannot claim the original price for an 8GB iPhone is $599 when it is now $399" Yes, the "original price" was $599... the new lower price is $399.

Another point that I would like to make is that if you were getting an original run (pre-price cut model serial number) then the specific unit that you are going to get was a $599 model like the rep said.

Also, you weren't fooled by the advertising were you..? Is your concern about others or that you were "almost" fooled? You knew it costs $399(non-refurb) and that the refurb is cheaper... right? So what's the problem?

Finally, if it's not right for you (misrepresentation, customer service, etc), then don't buy it. I would like to believe that you're a savvy consumer and don't waste money unless it offers value. You wanted the iphone probably because you thought the benefits outweighed the $300 or so that you would have to pay. If you still think that, then get it.

It was wrong that the apple rep wasn't as courteous as you expected, but your complaint didn't have merit to begin with.

Shoot, let me explain how this works since I thought I made it clear. The point of a refurb or open box product is to sell it at a lower price in comparison to the CURRENT retail price. The CURRENT retail price of the iPhone is $399, not $599. The iPhone has been the same model since it was introduced last year. The price of a new 8gb iPhone has been $399 for many months now. The refurbs hit the shelves at $349 before the price drop from 599 to 399 of the new retail price. For the refurb price to remain as it is and for the false information of a 42% reduced price is false and as far as I am concerned, a LIE.

Shoot, let me explain how this works since I thought I made it clear. The point of a refurb or open box product is to sell it at a lower price in comparison to the CURRENT retail price. The CURRENT retail price of the iPhone is $399, not $599. The iPhone has been the same model since it was introduced last year. The price of a new 8gb iPhone has been $399 for many months now. The refurbs hit the shelves at $349 before the price drop from 599 to 399 of the new retail price. For the refurb price to remain as it is and for the false information of a 42% reduced price is false and as far as I am concerned, a LIE.

Don't tell me how "this" works because I know exactly how it is. You made it very clear that your argument is silly.

Tell me what the iphone's original price when it first came out... $599, right? Regardless what the price is now, the "ORIGINAL" price was $599, which apple clearly states in it's ad, ORIGINAL PRICE. Besides, it's no secret that the new iphone 8gb is $399 on their regular site. Nobody is arguing with you that the practice is bordering shadiness, but technically the original price was $599. What part of ORIGINAL PRICE don't you understand? Will you be happy if apple stated "Original price $599, Current price $399, Your price $349"? If you go to most refurb sites, they almost always display the original retail price.

I'm sure you've bought or sold in ebay (or some similar site). When you say "selling widget for $100, original retail $300" and let's say that same item can be bought new for $200 now... Are you misrepresenting anybody? The original price was $300, no?

Not interested in arguing semantics with you. My initial issue was the price, then it ended up being their attitude towards me. I think their site is misleading, if you do not agree, then that is your prerogative. I really do not care. The refurb states $349 with a savings of 42% which is inaccurate unless you are talking 9 months ago.

Not interested in arguing semantics with you. My initial issue was the price, then it ended up being their attitude towards me. I think their site is misleading, if you do not agree, then that is your prerogative. I really do not care. The refurb states $349 with a savings of 42% which is inaccurate unless you are talking 9 months ago.

Definition of Original - 1. belonging or pertaining to the origin or beginning of something, or to a thing at its beginning: The book still has its original binding.

So apple must be talking about the "original" price which you agree it's 9 months ago.

Definition of Original - 1. belonging or pertaining to the origin or beginning of something, or to a thing at its beginning: The book still has its original binding.

So apple must be talking about the "original" price which you agree it's 9 months ago.

............ ok. When someone is sold as refurb or a sale price, it is ALWAYS off of the current new price; NOT off a price from nearly a year ago. It's to make you think you are getting a better deal than what you really are. If this is hard for you to understand, then I am sorry.

............ ok. When someone is sold as refurb or a sale price, it is ALWAYS off of the current new price; NOT off a price from nearly a year ago. It's to make you think you are getting a better deal than what you really are. If this is hard for you to understand, then I am sorry.

Once again... What part of "ORIGINAL PRICE" don't you understand, emphasis on ORIGINAL, not reduced price "original". How can a reduced price be the ORIGINAL PRICE? The ad clearly states what the comparison price refers to... The ORIGINAL PRICE. To me, original price = original price when the iphone 8gb was released.

As far I'm concerned, I have no problem with apple or any company that makes these comparison pricing on their ads. I'm not going to be fooled in to believing that I'm saving a boat load of money by pricing loop holes. Maybe you felt deceived or taken advantage of... then again, maybe you're really that naive.

Stop being stubborn and read the ad the way it was supposed to be read, in plain English. I think you're making this a big deal because you didn't get the action/reaction from apple, the way you wanted. In any case, caveat emptor comes to mind.

That enough .gc. Take your insults and your desire to argue somewhere else. I've already made my case and my point. You disagree and I do not give a crap. You obviously do not understand how retail works and I have no desire to explain it to you.

You obviously do not understand how retail works and I have no desire to explain it to you.

Because we're the ones complaining about a business practice that every major corporation has used at one time or another? Or the fact that a person paid $10/hour to sit on a phone and get yelled at by silly people about problems that aren't his fault treated you poorly?

The simple fact is that we all agree that Apple is using a ploy to make it look like you will be saving more. Just like every big company ever. We also all agree that help-line personel are quite often unfriendly. Why does any of this have to turn into an argument OR be a negative about Apple? You show me any big company that supposedly has "honorable" business practices and perfect help-lines and I'll show you someone who disagrees with you.

You obviously do not understand how retail works and I have no desire to explain it to you.

Because we're the ones complaining about a business practice that every major corporation has used at one time or another? Or the fact that a person paid $10/hour to sit on a phone and get yelled at by silly people about problems that aren't his fault treated you poorly?

Que the Twilight Zone music. It seems English is not the language of the day here. Or maybe you really did listen in on the call and think you know what you are talking about.