Ma new TV

(edited)

DOH!!!! Sorry bushwack. Went to reply and accidentally hit the "Delete" button (and didn't get a confirmation).

I'll still be around online though...gotta do something during the work hours ;)

This is what bushwack had said:

Sweet, I totally love my 50". I stayed at a Embassy Suites last weekend and had 2 32" lcds. Seemed sooooo small. 50"+ is the way to go.

Have fun!

*guess we wont see him for about a month, when you first get a big HD screen it's like crack

Edited by dwEEziL

50" is huge. unless you're sitting further than 12 feet back a 42 or 46 is a much better buy. that is if you're concerned with image quality and don't just want a tv that's bigger than your friends.

my parents just got a 46" tv and they sit around 11-12" back from it. the salesman basically said they'd be a stupid to get a bigger one cause you'll just lose IQ. i was there in the store and measured it out myself and it's definitely true. the closer you get to the bigger tvs the worse they look.

that said, the parents got an aquos 46" whatever the top end model is right now.

Soo I;m curious, what was it that made you buy an LCD over plasma. I'm really close to buying a HD TV myself, and i just have a hard time seeing what LCD has over plasma. prices seem completely comperable, durability seems identical. but plasma has the edge or faster moving scenes. The only thing about plasma that i know to be an issue is the reflective thing.

Just wondering your thoughts

Well older plsmas had issues with the things burning out after 18 months or half of it not working. Stuff like that. LCDs have a good long term Rep so I wouldn't even consider the plasmas myself. I look at them and the LCDs are now as bright as the plasmas as well.

Well older plsmas had issues with the things burning out after 18 months or half of it not working. Stuff like that. LCDs have a good long term Rep so I wouldn't even consider the plasmas myself. I look at them and the LCDs are now as bright as the plasmas as well.

I've had my plasma a year and a half now. I did a bunch of research before I bought mine and todays plasmas last a good bit longer then before. The screen in mine is rated at a half-life of 60,000 hours. I figure the electronics will go before that. It's just as bright as the day I brought it home and have the brightness turned down from the factory default. When I was shopping for a TV, plasmas just looked better then LCDs, but that may be different now (I don't hang out in the TV section in bestbuy anymore).

But who knows it may catch on fire tomorrow.

best reason to get an lcd would be if you're gonna hook a computer up to it (high res) or if you're using in a high light environment. if it's in a dark room/basement a plasma is probably better.

i'm glad prices are gonna get cheap next month. i'll be in a market for one shortly.

best reason to get an lcd would be if you're gonna hook a computer up to it (high res) or if you're using in a high light environment. if it's in a dark room/basement a plasma is probably better.

i'm glad prices are gonna get cheap next month. i'll be in a market for one shortly.

I don't think all plasmas are the same, my family and friends are playing the Wii right now (we just opened it yeaterday) with the sun shining and the living room window shades open and the picture is great. That is of course the sun is not directly shining on the screen. It's definitely brighter then the CRT TV it replaced. Great thing about the Panisonic is that the blacks are black and not kinda grayish like some other plasmas I have seen.

As far as the computer issue goes isn't resolution, resolution?

I don't think all plasmas are the same, my family and friends are playing the Wii right now (we just opened it yeaterday) with the sun shining and the living room window shades open and the picture is great. That is of course the sun is not directly shining on the screen. It's definitely brighter then the CRT TV it replaced. Great thing about the Panisonic is that the blacks are black and not kinda grayish like some other plasmas I have seen.

as far as i'm aware, plasmas blacks are always black. that's their main advantage over lcd. if you've seen plasmas display grey instead of black i think you were mistaken and actually looking at an lcd. either that or maybe they had the brightness cranked??

As far as the computer issue goes isn't resolution, resolution?

you typically pay a lot more for high resolution plasma. most inexpensive ones do 1024x768 which isn't even true hd.

50" is huge. unless you're sitting further than 12 feet back a 42 or 46 is a much better buy. that is if you're concerned with image quality and don't just want a tv that's bigger than your friends.

my parents just got a 46" tv and they sit around 11-12" back from it. the salesman basically said they'd be a stupid to get a bigger one cause you'll just lose IQ. i was there in the store and measured it out myself and it's definitely true. the closer you get to the bigger tvs the worse they look.

that said, the parents got an aquos 46" whatever the top end model is right now.

I have a 60" Sony and I sit no more then 7-10' away and i love it. I got a little getting use to but now i never feel like i need to stay looking at the tv, there is sooo much to see you find yourself moving your eyes around and really just enjoying the whole picture. That and with the new bose system it really gives a cool feel watching something like HD Sunrise...

I had the 50" to start and sold it to ,my brother so i could get the 60"...I do not think I could have stayed with the 50", but myself and the GF really enojy the 60" more.

I have a 60" Sony and I sit no more then 7-10' away and i love it. I got a little getting use to but now i never feel like i need to stay looking at the tv, there is sooo much to see you find yourself moving your eyes around and really just enjoying the whole picture. That and with the new bose system it really gives a cool feel watching something like HD Sunrise...

I had the 50" to start and sold it to ,my brother so i could get the 60"...I do not think I could have stayed with the 50", but myself and the GF really enojy the 60" more.

that's just nuts. you guys must have terrible vision. when i was watching the 46 vs 50 in the store there was a noticeable difference depending how close you were as far as image quality goes.

that's just nuts. you guys must have terrible vision. when i was watching the 46 vs 50 in the store there was a noticeable difference depending how close you were as far as image quality goes.

Dont get me wrong...it seemed way off when I first got it. Now...I watch TV sooo much more relaxed because I feel like I do not have to look at one spot and when something is in 1080p I can sit right in front of it not see a single dot...:)