this is why the new vid cards suck so bad

Cujo

you know... I'd never go SLI.. i don't have the dough and don't see the reason to blow it... i would just get 1 really good card that has a lot of bang for its buck.

i am going to be upgrading soon... by that time... what will be out next.. i don't even want to know.

you know... I'd never go SLI.. i don't have the dough and don't see the reason to blow it... i would just get 1 really good card that has a lot of bang for its buck.

i am going to be upgrading soon... by that time... what will be out next.. i don't even want to know.

new kickass ati cards coming out in a couple months.

Heh, didn't you say that about the 2900s? :P

i did. it was bad info. it happens.

dna, thanks. and regarding the hybrid i'm sure i mentioned it but if not it's definitely one of the reasons i recommended that board to you.

Heh, didn't you say that about the 2900s? :P

i did. it was bad info. it happens.

dna, thanks. and regarding the hybrid i'm sure i mentioned it but if not it's definitely one of the reasons i recommended that board to you.

But I was not thinking about the 3400 or better...It would be very nice... :)

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

i will never go back to 512mb of ram. i can't it would have been that difficult to put an extra 512mb of ram on these vid cards. especially given how cheap ram is these days.

512mb RAM = 1360x768

1gb+ = 1920x1080

You get my point.

I just don't know about that, really depends on the game right?

How much actual frame buffer does 1920x1080 actually use, surly it's not a half a gig of ram over 1360x768. After the frame buffer the rest is going to textures, which is determined by the game itself and can also be adjusted by a quality setting in the game...

OK I just ran my retro Win98 comp outfitted with a TNT2 32mb card at 1920x1200 32bit color. In fact I didn't loose frame buffer till I hit 2048x1536, it bumped down to 16 bit color. So what there is maybe 10mb difference between the 2 resolutions in question? So why does everyone think it takes twice as much or worse a half a gig?

But don't get me wrong there is no reason why they can put a gig on a video card nowadays, but we're not in charge of marketing are we?

1024x768x32= 25,165,824

1360x768x32= 33,423,360

1920x1200x32=73,728,000

2048x1536x32=100,663,296

This is # of bits. This is to do nothing but hold color per pixel at rendering (like a bitmap screenshot). This does not include lighting calcs, shading, AA, AF, color correction, lighting vs depth, fog+smoke+particles, etc.

It takes 3 times the ram to go from 1360x768 to 2048x1536 just to hold the pixels.

If you generically apply that rule across the board, and assume it takes 500mb to speedily handle all the calculations at 1360x768, it would take 1500MB to do the same at 2048x1536.

You would take twice the processing power to go from 1360x to 1920x as well.

Re buffers. If you need to move 500MB per frame for the lower res, youd need roughly 1500MB per frame for the higher to maintain the same speed. Also, I dont know if they still do it this way, but I believe each image needs run through the clock two times for calculations before the screen.

This is pretty darn generic and isnt exactly how its done (obviously), and Im certainly no expert at it, but it gives a rough idea.

Quadruple what you need to go from 1024x to 2048x and triple what you need to go from 1360x to 2048x.

Oh, crap...sorry guys, this was a response that had to do with this thread more than anything.

I made the connection there without explaination, those guys are just too dense

i did too. :P

i'll reply to that other thread later when i have time. there are about 5 different ppl that need separate comments.