since everyone is buying tvs...

Cujo

i'll be getting this sometime in the next two months.

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo...th42_50px80.asp

the 50" version of course.

the quote i got was $2000 taxes and wall mount included. cdn of course.

i will be for racing games, sports and movies. didn't feel it was worth the extra money for 1080p as it won't be used for reading e-mail or browsing the web.

once i get the tv and the surround system hooked up i'll take pictures of my room and set up and post them up.

btw, i just moved out of the parents house into my friends basement.

Cujo? Is that you? 1080p for emails and browsing the web? Where do you get that? There is so much wrong with your post I don't feel like even responding to any specifics.

I seriously regret buying my 32" @ 1360x768, I can't imagine how you'll feel when you burn $2k on a 50"!!!!

What's the price difference? Who's mounting it?

(edited)

Plasma over LCD? For $2000 you could get a 52" LCD with 1080p. Black levels are about the only easily noticeable difference between plasma and LCD. I've never recommended plasmas to friends or family though. I'm guessing you've researched this a bunch already though and you have your reasons.

For TVs 50" or larger though, I would think long and hard about going 1080p instead of 720p.

Edited by boilersax

Plasma over LCD? For $2000 you could get a 52" LCD with 1080p. Black levels are about the only easily noticeable difference between plasma and LCD. I've never recommended plasmas to friends or family though. I'm guessing you've researched this a bunch already though and you have your reasons.

For TVs 50" or larger though, I would think long and hard about going 1080p instead of 720p.

Another to add is for spending 2k on a tv and your not getting 1080p?? To me something is just wrong in that statement, because for that amount of money you should be getting 1080p or at least 1080i! I agree with you boiler, LCD is the way to go, from the research that I've done looking into getting a tv for myself. I just haven't justified spending the money yet to get one. Really though Cujo you could easily get a LCD with 1080p for 2k for the same size your looking at so why are you getting a plasma?

Great choice Cujo, I absolutely love my Panasonic 50" plasma. Even though mine is last years 720p model, movies and HD TV look awesome at 720p on my set. The xbox 360 looks great at 720p and the Wii looks better then you would think at 480p. While SD tv isnt great, its better then any WS unit ive seen. BTW my couch is 12ft from the tv if that makes any difference but even at 8" playing the Wii sport games are good fun. :prplwacko:

What kills me are the people that buy a large HD tv but dont buy comp/hdmi cables and dont upgrade their service to HD. I know of 2 guys doing this (1 for almost 2 years both have 48") that just run coax out of their box and into the TV. Looks like utter garbage compounded by interference lines running thru the picture. Guess after spending 1-2 grand on a tv they not willing to spend anymore on a $10 set of cables, much less $5 more a month for the programming. Yup, i live in redneck territory.

What kills me are the people that buy a large HD tv but dont buy comp/hdmi cables and dont upgrade their service to HD. I know of 2 guys doing this (1 for almost 2 years both have 48") that just run coax out of their box and into the TV. Looks like utter garbage compounded by interference lines running thru the picture. Guess after spending 1-2 grand on a tv they not willing to spend anymore on a $10 set of cables, much less $5 more a month for the programming. Yup, i live in redneck territory.

lol, I had an HD-DVR from my cable service for 3 months before I even bought my HDTV. I was more than ready for the glory of 50" of 1080p beauty :D

Thats funny I purchased This last night. This is my first HDTV, and I wanted something bigger than my 6 yr old 25" Toshiba CRT. I was leaning towards a Samsung, but all of the reviews I read said that this TV was the way to go. I know it's only a 720p and 37", my future plan is to have this for the bedroom, and I wanted to keep it under 1K.

(edited)

i was going to reply to each individually but got lazy.

you guys are ALL forgetting i live in Canada. just look at panasonic's american site price vs the cdn site price. it's $400 cheaper on the american site for the same tv. if any of you can find me a 1080p plasma IN CANADA for $2000 taxes and wall mount included then do point it out. right now i'm debating getting it from here: http://www.electroniqueplus.com/s.nl/it.A/id.156/.f

with free shipping even if i get taxed coming across the border it's still $400 cheaper. i'm just worried about losing the warranty.

if i get a tv with 1080p native res then i need a vid card that can game at 1080p in whatever system i build. when i'm sitting 13" back from the tv i'm not going to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p in any racing games or movies. most of the tv shows i download are 720p. hd satellite is 720p. plasma is the way to go for gaming and dark environments. given i live in the basement it should be fine. i've seen the 52" lcd's in stores that i could get for the same price and the colour just isn't as vibrant. besides, my parents just bought a 46" aquos d92 which is basically the best you can get and they have the same speakers as me so if i want to watch something 1080p i'll just drive 10 mins to their house and crank it up.

if any of you would like to buy the tv for me and drive across the border to give me the "gift" then i'll gladly meet you at whatever border town you're closest to.

Edited by Cujo

I'm starting to wonder why you even ask for our opinions :biglaugha:

Anyways...might as well bug you some more because it's always so enjoyable

when i'm sitting 13" back from the tv i'm not going to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p in any racing games or movies.

That's the only time you will notice the difference, it's sitting far away that you don't see any difference (why most large screens are 1080p). Oh wait...did you mean 13'?

haha, i wasn't asking for opinions...

btw, ya i meant 13 feet. common cdn mistake. we're a more advanced race using the metric system. it's not often i have to refer to ft for people. :P

btw, ya i meant 13 feet. common cdn mistake. we're a more advanced race using the metric system. it's not often i have to refer to ft for people. :P

Right...find me an engineer/contractor that uses the metric system in Canada. As much as I love counting in tens, professionals for some reason still use the Empirical system.

You know...I think you'll be happy with that TV regardless. You'll definitely grimace the first time you throw your PC on there but once you go sit down you probably won't notice it. I'll stop being a donkey and say that Pany makes the best panels (now that they own the patents on Pioneer's manufacturing processes). Not quite sure if that's a Kuros panel in there but with a static contrast ratio of 20,000:1 it leads me to believe that it is a kuros panel (dynamic to 1,000,000:1 or something ridiculous)

Right...find me an engineer/contractor that uses the metric system in Canada. As much as I love counting in tens, professionals for some reason still use the Empirical system.

You know...I think you'll be happy with that TV regardless. You'll definitely grimace the first time you throw your PC on there but once you go sit down you probably won't notice it. I'll stop being a donkey and say that Pany makes the best panels (now that they own the patents on Pioneer's manufacturing processes). Not quite sure if that's a Kuros panel in there but with a static contrast ratio of 20,000:1 it leads me to believe that it is a kuros panel (dynamic to 1,000,000:1 or something ridiculous)

awesome. thanks for the thumbs up.

i'm not as much of a geek as you guys think i guess...

Actually it's more like you're such a huge geek you're against star wars because all the science used in the series is too far fetched for you to believe in. Trust me, they (nerds of such caliber) exist. :biglaugha:

So when can I come over? Are you building a racing chair? I've been wanting to buy one of those cheapy racing seats from CrappyTire and build my own arcade racing frame, but I really shouldn't....like really really shouldn't, but I want it so bad.