Time for a new Vacuum!!

ZesteR

Hey guys,

As my g/f was vacuuming our apartment this past week, we started smelling something burning. At first she looked at me, then I said, "It wasnt' me!" Then we looked at the vacuum.

We cleaned the hair out of it, holy crap there is a lot of hair. We ended up changing the belt cuz it burned up. Then we started to use it again and now the motor burned up and was smoking.

It was a cheapo $30 small vacuum that we probably beat into the ground.

Time for a new vacuum, but we want a nice one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have always been fascinated with the Roomba's!! Does anyone have em? What do u think about them?

I know they don't totally eliminate vacuuming b/c they dont' get it all. But that's okay, b/c we still have a small dirt devil scorpion to get the stairs and corners.

I know woot has them from time to time. Anyone buy one?

I am interested in the virtual walls, and the docking station.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I do not feel like I can find a good deal on a roomba, what else should I look into?

Brands?

Again, looking for a vacuum in the $75-140 price range.

Our apartment is small, but 2 floors. Plenty of carpet and hair. (from the lady of the house)

Bagless and maybe HEPA filtered could be good since we're both allergic to dust.

Thanks,!!

ZesteR

I bought a Dyson that my wife absolutely loves about 4 months ago - but it cost over $450 even after the 20% off coupon :freak3:

Dysons are GREAT vacuums, but you will absolutely not be able to find one in the $75-$140 price range. They are very expensive, although depending on your circumstances are worth every penny of that expense.

My wife bought a Bissel at Target for somewhere in that price range a year and a half ago and it did very well for what we needed it to do. From my research and personal opinion, in that price range, you definitely ought to be looking at a Bissel. Just remember, you get what you pay for!

The absolute biggest reason we bought the Dyson was because we got a yellow lab and were getting overpowered by the piles of hair he leaves behind. When I bought the Dyson, I vacuumed the main floor of our house with the Bissel and then followed up with the Dyson - I was amazed how much more crap that Dyson got out that the Bissel left! If you're not battling pet hair though, you probably don't need that kind of power.

(edited)

Right now, while we're in this apartment, we won't be battling PET hair.

We plan on having a dog or two, but I think we can do without a expensive vacuum that can do that.

My g/f loves target, so we'll stop by there sometime this week.

edit: Mag, that dyson deal ends tomorrow :\

Probably won't decide on spending $200 for a vacuum in less than a day

Edited by ZesteR

Depends on your spend limit. I've been very happy with my hoover wind tunnels (on my 2nd now) but then I've never owned a dyson. I think my sister has one...the pet hair model...and they swear by it with the dog they had...course the thing was like 500 bucks :o

My wife and I have a Dyson, and we bought it because of her allergies...

We don't have a dog or a cat leaving hair around either...now that we've established that, let me give you the experiment we did:

We had a Hoover vacuum that we vacuumed our entire apartment with. It was a one bedroom with 783 sq. feet. In other words, not large. We bought the DC 18. After vacuuming the entire apartment with the Hoover, the DC 18's canister was nearly full of crap. We literally vacuumed one right after another with only minutes separating the vacuum times between rooms. It blew us away. Dyson is an impressive product if you can get around paying for 'em.

Oh, on another note: Dyson's come with a 5 year warranty and are the first vacuums to be approved by the national allergy association. :)

My advice: get the dyson, but in the lower price range, I agree on the Bissel after doing my research.

I had a roomba.. It was the most worthless thing I have ever purchased. Constantly clogged with dog hair.

lol, since I know that you and I both have yellow labs named Jake, I found this pretty funny :biglaugha:

I can't imagine having one of those things try to keep up with all that shedding!

Mav - I mentioned earlier that I did the same "test" with our Bissel then the Dyson. Pretty amazing how much crap is really in your carpet, isn't it?

On a side note. For you pet owners

get a furminator! Seriously, you'll be blown away on how much hair those things pull out. I should have taken a picture of the first time I used it on my cat. I got a pile of fur as big as her. And she's a fat cat!

Mav - I mentioned earlier that I did the same "test" with our Bissel then the Dyson. Pretty amazing how much crap is really in your carpet, isn't it?

A little scary actually! :=

Hahaha....yeah, I was pretty seriously blown away, and it does help my wife's allergies now that we have the Dyson. I'm not sorry I did it! :)

A little scary actually! :=

Hahaha....yeah, I was pretty seriously blown away, and it does help my wife's allergies now that we have the Dyson. I'm not sorry I did it! :)

Actually, now that you mention it, this is the first spring season that we've had the Dyson, and it's also the first spring season in a very long time that I haven't had to be doped up on Allegra/Claritin 24/7 to tolerate my allergies. They're not completely gone of course, but they haven't been anywhere close to as bad as they used to be. Apparently my allergies are being helped too! :)

• 3 weeks later...

ended up fixing the other one.. not sure but we didnt use it for a week, then i forgot and turned it on and it worked...

so thanks for the input guys, but I believe Ill be waiting until I can figure a way out to make this one magically break, until I get another one.