stutters new pony

stutters

GC Alumni
ehh that a touring bike? a cruiser? its dope.

id go for an R6.. gotta love the crotch rockets.

i'd kinda lean towards calling it a crotch rocket, but i hate calling it a crotch rocket. it's my pony, and it takes me to and from work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_SV650

unfortunately, i didn't take those pictures. it's a friend's bike from the marketing company i just bailed on. he took it out and did the glamour shots, not me :D

We always called it the fear factor. If you did something that put the pucker factor at 10... you didn't do it again (or at least made the move with more caution).

Best advice I give to rookies is to learn the limits of your bike. Learn to do nose wheelies, not to show off, but to know the stopping limits of your bike so you know when to stop and when to lay it down. Also, get some track time in at a local track--you'll begin to learn teh limits of your bike (wiggles, brake bias, rebound, dampening, etc).

Have fun, but be careful.

We always called it the fear factor. If you did something that put the pucker factor at 10... you didn't do it again (or at least made the move with more caution).

Best advice I give to rookies is to learn the limits of your bike. Learn to do nose wheelies, not to show off, but to know the stopping limits of your bike so you know when to stop and when to lay it down. Also, get some track time in at a local track--you'll begin to learn teh limits of your bike (wiggles, brake bias, rebound, dampening, etc).

I agree with all of that, but first I would recommend the motorcycle safety coarse provided in your state. These can teach you the basics of riding safely, and at least in ohio they provide the bike so you don't scar up your own.

Always know the limits of your bike, then stay around 80-90% of them so you have that added buffer should something unexpected happen.

GC Alumni
Make sure to wear a helmet. Saved my friends life once.
no. everywhere i ride, it's going to be in board shorts, flip flops, and nothing else. :D

j/k - i'm kind of amazed people ride without em. i did get a nice laugh from the db wearing reinforced riding gloves, a short sleeve shirt, and shorts. why bother with the gloves?

I agree with all of that, but first I would recommend the motorcycle safety coarse provided in your state. These can teach you the basics of riding safely, and at least in ohio they provide the bike so you don't scar up your own.

Always know the limits of your bike, then stay around 80-90% of them so you have that added buffer should something unexpected happen.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR NEW RIDERS - Don't learn to ride from a friend. People that have been riding a while form bad habits and you don't want to learn those. You'll have enough time to develop bad habits on your own.

No question about helmet usage. Everybody should wear safety gear (helmet, proper riding jacket, pants, boots, gloves). You don't get a second chance to fall, so be ready. Mr. Asphalt is not very kind to soft tissue.

no. everywhere i ride, it's going to be in board shorts, flip flops, and nothing else. :D

j/k - i'm kind of amazed people ride without em. i did get a nice laugh from the db wearing reinforced riding gloves, a short sleeve shirt, and shorts. why bother with the gloves?

He had his nails manicured that day?

if you're gonna ride hard and end up putting it down, you're not gonna cross your arms when you go airborn, so the gloves will help.

i'd say the most challenging and perhaps most important part initially is something duke eluded to: learning to use your front break and really allowing the bike to dig in forward into it to stop quickly...keeping your body low and aligned with the bike so that all the force does indeed transfer into the front wheel and not leak upward and lift the backend....

i miss my bike

i only layed my bike down once...and it was while i was stopped....n00bish me parked it on a gravel driveway, but i stopped on the middle, higher grassy part instead of a rut...and by the time my foot hit the ground, it was a such an angle that i had to gently lay it down sideways cause i couldn't stop it.

Nice bike sj..what year? And yes, it basically is a crotch rocket without the plastic, most of the geometry is similar. I love the naked bikes, they look so much cooler to me, I really like that headlight. We have a couple of those in our showroom but they still have the upper fairing...the headlights like yours are just witchin.

Voodoo...biggest piece of advise I can give you, always pay attention and be aware of your surroundings....assume that everyone that you see at a crossroad WILL pull out in front of you and your mind will start to think defensively over time and you will instinctively have an escape plan, of course there are no guarantees in life...but at least you will find yourself more mentally prepared to handle a critical situation. When I am riding...I am ALWAYS watching the cars everywhere else, especially crossroads and people oncoming trying to turn left. New riders are afraid of the interstates usually, but in my opinion, they are the safest place to be...all of the traffic is going one way and all at a steady pace...you have more time to plan your moves and no one is crossing the damn road while texting someone on their phone, lol.

Enjoy your pony sj, that's a very good bike and shouldnt give you any trouble as long as you maintain it ;)

btw, since it's July 4, I found a picture of my ole Red White and Blue bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles...bayphotohosting

It was either a 700 or 750, but that's the same color that it was....was one of the first "sport" bikes, so it wasn't really a crotch rocket...was kinda tallish...I was always amazed and how close the ground seemed on other bikes...

Clue mentions highways...I'll tell you one of the most unnerving things for me was crossing up onto asphalt from a newly paved part of a road from the lower one...never liked that "wiggle" that it gives you..

btw, since it's July 4, I found a picture of my ole Red White and Blue bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles...bayphotohosting

It was either a 700 or 750, but that's the same color that it was....was one of the first "sport" bikes, so it wasn't really a crotch rocket...was kinda tallish...I was always amazed and how close the ground seemed on other bikes...

Clue mentions highways...I'll tell you one of the most unnerving things for me was crossing up onto asphalt from a newly paved part of a road from the lower one...never liked that "wiggle" that it gives you..

Yeah...those suck...and so do our roads here in New Orleans...lots of construction everywhere so there are ALOT of those areas to keep my heart rate up, lol. I tell ya, I remember thinking Ohio roads were bad...now I would love to have them here....

Nice bike...those Interceptors were VERY popular bikes...really paved the way for alot of the "crotch rockets"

Yeah... basic advice.. Stated above. Drive COMPLETE defense. and learn your bikes/your limits and ease into the limits.. don't drive like you would in a car. If i applied the same techniques from car to bike.. I'd probably be dead.

very nice ride there sj. best advice for new riders i'd say is take the motorcycle safety course as it teaches you a few things that you may not know. i'm pretty sure it always helps get you a break on your insurance too so not a bad deal. as far as riding gear helmet always!!! Another worthwhile purchase is a decent leather coat and gloves... gloves are good for taking some vibrations from your hands and also if anything flys up and manage to hit your hands whether bugs or rocks...

oh this weekend i had taken my bike about 280 miles with 80 miles to go before I got to my finally destination when it broke down. as a result i'm just glad i got back in time for work this week and sadly now no more motorcycling for me this summer unless i manage to find a great deal on one :(