High CPU Usage in Vista?

General J

So, I just got the asus g50v-a1, and I am having issues. CPU usage is showing anywhere from about 75% - 100% all the time. Is it normal for the OS to be running the processor that hard constantly. It is doing this even without extra programs running. I have turned all services off, other than the Windows ones. I have set the power mode to high performance, and I have turned all the visual effects off (setting for performance) and boosted the virtual memory (which I would think it wouldn't need with 4 gig's RAM at it's disposal?)

Anyone experience any similar problems or know anything about this?

I have. But I forgot to mention that huh? :shrug03: System is always above 50, and usually well over 60-70. System Idle Process is next at around 20 or so. I knew Vista was supposed to be a resource hog, but this is ridiculous! I figured with the specs this thing had, I would handle vista just fine, and be able to at least multitask between 2 windows. I can barely open 2 instances of firefox!

I have. But I forgot to mention that huh? :shrug03: System is always above 50, and usually well over 60-70. System Idle Process is next at around 20 or so. I knew Vista was supposed to be a resource hog, but this is ridiculous! I figured with the specs this thing had, I would handle vista just fine, and be able to at least multitask between 2 windows. I can barely open 2 instances of firefox!

Your system is MUCH faster than my laptop running Vista, and I'm experiencing none of those issues. There has to be something running somewhere that is causing it to be sluggish. I have a slower processor and half the ram you do and everything runs fast and smooth...

(edited)

have you formatted? Are you running with the stock system that came preinstalled with the laptop? It's definitely hardware, but if you want to make sure, get yourself a ubuntu live cd. Boot her up and watch the CPU sit at 0%. I have no advice for vista other than I stay away from it like the plague.

I'd boot off my trusty ole dos disk and do a format c: \s

Edited by KNOWFX

This is the strangest thing. I knew that when I built my new desktop, a few years back, that it took a while to settle as far as reliability. I got the laptop, and not even an hour after my first post, it settled down. CPU load just totally dropped off. Nothing was running sluggish anymore. I knew it shouldn't have been, but I didn't understand why it was. Everything is great now. CPU usage is only up while a demanding application is open. System is using almost no CPU. Strangest thing. I was just about to be seriously ticked off with Windows Vista when it leveled off. Running all high graphics in Windows now, and no load at all. Everything runs perfectly well. :shrug03:

It could also be a program that Asus has bundled with their motherboard. Its called aacenter.exe I read about it today when i was doing some research. I had a P5Q motherboard and just dumped it for a foxconn. I still had some of the asus stuff on my computer. I read that the aacenter.exe will chew up resources. To disable it goto your task scheduler and you can disable it.

I just purchased the same comp. Mine hovers around 3% then jumps to 33% while running internet and music. While in game with the direct console at medium and game graphics on high it runs at 53-58%. I installed vista home. If you find anything out keep me posted I need the help. I will see if I can do some research as well.

This is the strangest thing. I knew that when I built my new desktop, a few years back, that it took a while to settle as far as reliability. I got the laptop, and not even an hour after my first post, it settled down. CPU load just totally dropped off. Nothing was running sluggish anymore. I knew it shouldn't have been, but I didn't understand why it was. Everything is great now. CPU usage is only up while a demanding application is open. System is using almost no CPU. Strangest thing. I was just about to be seriously ticked off with Windows Vista when it leveled off. Running all high graphics in Windows now, and no load at all. Everything runs perfectly well. :shrug03:

^^ His issue is fixed

I just purchased the same comp. Mine hovers around 3% then jumps to 33% while running internet and music. While in game with the direct console at medium and game graphics on high it runs at 53-58%. I installed vista home. If you find anything out keep me posted I need the help. I will see if I can do some research as well.

^^ 53% CPU while IN game? Sounds pretty good to me!

• 2 weeks later...

General J's issue was either the initial indexing (as ZD pointed out...only issue I have with this is that it's supposed to do it only when the system is idle) or during that first hour time, Automatic Update downloaded some patches and resolved it.