Win XP SP3

NorgmaN

So, when SP3 came out months ago, I installed it, and tried to use it, but whenever I booted my computer it would take about 30 seconds to gather my IP. So I said bleep it, and uninstalled SP3 hoping that in the next month or two, they would fix it. Well, I re-installed SP3 today, and I am still having the same problem. When I used to boot under SP2, my internet connection was instant, (I have a bunch of start-up programs) and never had a problem with anything on boot. Now, whenever I boot, it literally takes 20-30 seconds just to get a connection, and all of my start-up programs throw a hissy fit.

I'm usually pretty good about troubleshooting problems on computers whether it be a driver issue or an update issue, or I can find the problem online with someone else who found the solution. But this one is beyond me, and I cannot find anything to fix this. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

On another note, I'm thinking about getting Vista x64 and another hard drive just b/c I'm a geek and wanna try out Raid 0.

Any help is appreciated!

I have a PC that is shot right now due to sp3. I installed it and upon reboot it just keeps starting over and over never actually reaching the desktop. Normally I would simply just reboot to the windows CD but for some unknown reason the PC will not see the cd in the drive and boot to it, may be a faulty drive but it's SP3 being unreliable that tinklees me off.

Yeah sounds strange norgypoo...only thing I can think of is looking for a driver update for your nic, which I think you've tried.

Email to motherboard/ethernet controller manufacturer? If you've been as vigilant as it sounds that may be your only option.

what programs are starting at launch? can you disable them from starting and enable them 1 by 1? i had something similar and found out that skype was raising hell with something else from an xp hotfix, but it took me forever to find.

what programs are starting at launch? can you disable them from starting and enable them 1 by 1? i had something similar and found out that skype was raising hell with something else from an xp hotfix, but it took me forever to find.

Pretty sure that's exactly what he doesn't want to do.

It took my system a while to boot too and it was because the service pack fragmented the heck out of my hard drive.

Try using Smart Defrag and let it run one night. My boot-up time went from a whole minute to 25 seconds. 64-bit OS's do take a little longer than others.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5318

Edited by ZeroDamage

yeah, it's pretty tough on windows.

...but not on os x :D

apple -> system prefs -> system accounts -> login items

If by the "step designation" of the "->" we are referring to actual clicks, then ZD is right. If we're going by the mental spirit of the steps, then SJ is right.

Toss up. I vote "present". :D

The nod goes to sj.

Fail Windows boy.

Check out sj's original post. He has "system accounts" not system, then accounts. Accounts is a clickable option under the (non-clickable) System section.

Who phails now?

if we all had the same hardware (as apple products essentially do)...none the less - to each his own

can't say I've actually had any trouble hardware-wise on any os (dos/os2/win3.x/nt/xp/linux/bsd/sco) since around 1992 - havent touched vista or sp3

the last time hardware was difficult to setup was when you actually had to set dip switches on isa modems to use non standard ports/irq's - and even that was a joke back then

cant say i love winblows, but it plays my games

--------------------------

use cr4pcleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ - i'd seriously bet theres tons of unneeded registry keys slowing your startup - and the defragger

also attempt to use autoruns from the former sysinternals sellouts to disable one by one (or at least see what's autostarting).

reply back after cr4pcleaner

How the hell did this thread turn into a Mac thread? You will all die apple boys.

As for start-up programs: Drivers (of course), WeatherChannel app, Kaspersky AV, Trillian, Steam. Then after boot, I start Vent, and Winamp. But those have nothing causing an effect on booting.

As for registry / defrag. I use Kaspersky, CCleaner, AdAware, and Registry Mechanic every Sunday, plus Disk Cleanup, and Window's Defrag. I guess I could try the 3rd party defrag for giggles, but I doubt that is going to do anything.

Computer:

EVGA 780i

E8400

4Gig Corsair ddr2 800

2 8800GT 512's

700w psu

All drivers and Bios are latest and greatest, I even had older drivers back when SP3 came out. I want to think that MAYBE its my router? But I don't know why it would act up on SP3 and not SP2.

And please, no more Mac, I will Murdaface you.

start/run/type eventvwr.msc (enter)

anything strange under there?

Yes, under the system tab, Dhcp has a warning on event 1007 and 1003. It never shows up before the SP3 update. Here is what it says for information per Microsoft:

Explanation

The DHCP Client service on your computer did not receive a response from the DHCP server to the DHCP Discover message within the time limit; therefore your computer's IP address was assumed to be invalid, and the DHCP Client service generated an Automatic Private IP (APIP) address.

If connection with the network is not established using this APIP address, the DHCP Client service will try to contact the DHCP server with a new APIP address every five minutes as long as the APIP service is active.

The failure of the DHCP server to respond could be caused by network connectivity issues, DHCP server or DHCP relay malfunction, firewall issues, or a malfunction of your computer's network interface card or driver.

User Action

If your computer is connected to the network by cable, confirm that the cable is plugged in. If you have a wireless network connection, confirm that you have a signal and the proper credentials for the wireless network.

The DHCP Client service will continue trying to obtain a working IP address until it succeeds. If the network connection is not established automatically, check the following possible causes and take corrective action:

The DHCP server is down or not responding.

The DHCP relay is not functioning correctly.

The network is down.

The firewall on your computer is blocking out network broadcast traffic.

Your computer's network interface card or driver is not functioning correctly.

I use window's firewall, and onboard NIC from my 780i, and I know my internet is not down. If anyone has any ideas post, I'm going to look more tomorrow, I'm going to bed for now.

If you are behind a router, you really do not need Windows firewall. Disable it and see if that fixes your problem. I am guessing the delay is the IPv6 portion of the networking. Go to your network connections properties and remove the IPv6 stuff if it is there.

http://www.ditii.com/2008/06/21/windows-xp...-dhcp-settings/

update firmware on your router? can you confirm if the router is actually being 'crashed' due to flag 43?

you may have some leftover spyware

try combofix from safe mode

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

when saving, rename to combo-fix.exe and execute

maybe even:

start/run/cmd (enter)

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

You are such a doooooooooche. :blink: