CSS Dedicated Server

stutters

I just say this because in A2, we would have to use one dedicated server per 32-person server because of the load it causes. I am talking about a server with 4gb of RAM and being quad core. TF2 is hard on the CPU's more than anything because it has to keep track of 32 player locations, where their sticky bombs are located, where the sentries, dispensers, teleports, and all of that are. We would otherwise get major server-lag in game if we had anything else on that dedicated machine.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GC Alumni

i'm not going to argue the position of a professional game server provider (that's been in business for 10+ years). i mean no offense, but when they say something i know nothing about, i tend to trust their opinion, because, well, it's their livelihood.

Oh, I know. It just doesn't make sense after playing the games. There must be something going on in the game that isn't visible that is causing the load. Maybe TF2 is more efficient than previously thought at handling what it does. I would still find a comparison interesting.

Since I am sick and at work anyway, I may do some googling around to see what I can find. I am trying to stay away from people while I have the plague.

Edited by ZeroDamage

(edited)
geeeez alvin, dont you read? Its all one box. :P

Have you tried out the new standard css server poke?

Sorry sorry! I'm asian, reading these weird characters confuse me!

Anyways, I'll be jumping around the servers testing them if I can get a few followers? =]

Edit:

Any way we can get the GG server on some GG maps and maybe DM? I think it'll be fine without DM but it's kind of boring without GG maps. GG is just funner on smaller maps. And without DM in my opinion. =]

Edit Again:

I think newbs will like 16k as well (On newb server now). I'm pretty sure they need the extra money and practice. Plus less frustration. =]

Edit Three:

Russka ended yesterday. This week is de_season. Personally I think a CAL MOTW is a good idea at first thought but then.. Most CAL players would rather scrim the map than pub it. Maybe replace it with a 24/7 D2 DM for traffic?

Edit Four:

No complaints about the 24/7 D2/Office server except that it's empty. :D

Well, those are just my opinions. I'll try to fill it up but no one's on.

Edited by alvin

Off topic, but by chance do you speak mandarin?

played it for several hours last night. Built it to 20 peeps.

Started rough but seemed to clear up. Dont remember what map it was incase it was a map issue tho :(

Odd pauses at round start and also occasionally during a round, tho not as harsh as the round start pause. - also mentioned and commented on by many others.

Oddest part: After a few hours, I would SWEAR that it played smoother with 14-20 people than it did with 10. *shrug*

Bad ping fluctuations tho. +-10 each direction, occasionally as much as 30 higher. Thought it might be jsut me, but watched it happen across the board several times. Loss ranged 0-3. More severe than retro (which I dont have loss on anymore) , but after only one test it may have been a bad night for me only so more testing needed.

A bit concerned about pauses and even more about ping fluctuations. If we are just using a portion of the total server now, Im concerned about what will happen with 4 games full etc.

Server requires constant attention to maps as only D2 and office are in the rotation. (* Admins- Stay on that till remedied *)

Fielded several questions to "Noob Friendly".. Im guessing that means....we don't pick on em?

Enjoyed the evening.

Thats Laz's analysis for Tues evening server test.

GC Alumni
played it for several hours last night. Built it to 20 peeps.

Started rough but seemed to clear up. Dont remember what map it was incase it was a map issue tho :(

Odd pauses at round start and also occasionally during a round, tho not as harsh as the round start pause. - also mentioned and commented on by many others.

Oddest part: After a few hours, I would SWEAR that it played smoother with 14-20 people than it did with 10. *shrug*

that actually makes sense. multicore + 32bit srcds + 64 bit win2k3 server = strange core performance.

if that's the worst of it, it should be getting better with tcadmin...

Anyways, I'll be jumping around the servers testing them if I can get a few followers? =]

Edit:

Any way we can get the GG server on some GG maps and maybe DM? I think it'll be fine without DM but it's kind of boring without GG maps. GG is just funner on smaller maps. And without DM in my opinion. =]

I'm working on it, with stutters help.

I have 60 some maps in mind but that equates to a lot on downloading on the first visit.

The DM option is to keep things moving for less skilled players. I'm trying to get as far away from strats and round-start-waiting as possible. Just total chaos, total fun.

BTW John, alltalk should be on for the in-your-face-derrogatory-comment-after-the-kill fun.

Alvin, I know you did the GG thing out west. Maybe you can help manage this server? Lemme know.

My thought on the noob server is: If your kill ratio is 2-1, 3-1 or m2-like... you don't belong on a noob server. 1.5-1 or worse. Maybe throw that on the motd.

Hmmm.. Sure, I can help since I don't have a job. But yeah, I did the west GG server. It did well for a while but I kept wanting to test new set ups. It was aim, dm, d2 for a while.. It was a fun learning experience though. I think it was GG DM for a while too which was fun. Just let me know what you need help with. I've been playing with sourcemod lately but if mani hasn't changed then I should be able to work it still. =]

My thought on the noob server is: If your kill ratio is 2-1, 3-1 or m2-like... you don't belong on a noob server. 1.5-1 or worse. Maybe throw that on the motd.

good point, last night it was going great until a couple really good awpers joined and just massacred eevverrryyonee, chen was doing a really good job of letting ppl know what the best routes to take at certain times are and really trying to help ppl out but it was just a slaughter house eventually -----> = everyone left after a few rounds of getting completely owned... for somebody new to the game thats just not fun, heck to me its just not fun but i'm not very good to begin with lol so i dunno how would we be able to like regulate something like that? politely ask them to switch over to retro or a higher skilled server? what do u big wigs think?

I think its a perfect opportunity for some PR.

"Your skilz are frustrating the less experienced players. Maybe switch to a pistol/SMG or hit our more competitive server at w.x.y.z? Thanks!"

It's going to be harder to admin across the board because the servers have different levels of expections. What flies on zombie doesn't fly on retro. The noob server requires a little more nuturing (player to player) where retro requires more admining. Be flexible.

GC Alumni
216.52.148.80:27017 gcftw.com | CAL MOTW CAL.cfg (coming soon)

Had a decent amount of ppl in this yesterday nite. 30 is too many slots though, imo. Probably would be easier to attract ppl if we were advertising somewhere in the 16-20 range.

how about 18? done.

otherwise, any feedback? playing smooth? ok settings? anything else?

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Bump.

Everytime I decide to play a few rounds on Retro I check our GG/DM server, which is dead. My tally is 38 times joining Steam to play and 38 times seeing that server dead.

Copy what works. Visit 8.9.31.10:27015. That's the format.

When I check that server, it's been:

16/16 30 times

15/16 4 times

14/16 2 times

8/16 1 time (morning)

6/16 1 time (morning)

Can we make this happen?

I'd play right now but A) Retro is dead and B ) WC is full