Promoted!

anonymo

So on Friday I had a meeting with the VP of the company I work for and was offered a new position.

Currently I manage the audio visual services for a five star hotel in downtown Toronto, as well as acting as regional manager for the entire downtown.

My new position is somewhat similar but not as demanding (in a sense).

Next week I start my new position as audio visual director for IBM in Toronto. The Canadian IBM headquarters here in Toronto is a massive complex in which there are a number of theaters and conference rooms. Our company is contracted to IBM to provide a technician/meeting organizer to maintain and schedule all of IBM's internal meetings that require their onsite conference space and audio visual equipment.

While it is similar to my current role, the position at IBM is much more laid back. Instead of starting at 7am and working until the job is done, I work IBM's hours (9-5) with weekends guaranteed off (which some of you know is like night and day to my current schedule, which can find me working 70+ hour weeks). I will be operating installed equipment rather than constantly setting up and tearing down equipment like I am required to in a hotel.

I no longer have to make sales calls, as my responsibilities will be to the IBM staff only. I no longer have to manage the entire downtown region (four fivestar hotels) and I will no longer be required to help out on industrial shows (outside of my managed properties) when we find ourselves short staffed.

The promotion does not include a raise in pay, but it does require me to switch from being hourly to signing a contract for salary.

Basically, where I am not looking at being able to advance any further in the company (pay or position wise) for a long time, this will at least cut most of the stress from my job and give me (much) more time off, while still making the same amount of money (slightly more than this year, slightly less than the year before).

I am super excited about it, even though leaving my current position is going to be tough, both physically and mentally. I have made many good friends here and I'm finding it very hard to say goodbye, but our previous employee at IBM gave his two weeks notice last week, so I will be required to make the transition starting this week, where by Thursday next week I will be completely switched over.

I just can't wait to see what IBM is all about! I'll keep everyone updated, that is if they don't block this website. <_<

congrats man! That's great news! Especially the whole guaranteed weekend thing. A little less stress and no more 7am starts should make a world of difference.

I might even be considered a normal social being finally! I can't wait! I CAN WATCH LENO AGAIN! Wow...that's depressing.

Congrats!! Just as long as your happy. But I still think the dream of a strip club DJ should be in the works. :ylusy:

He's free on weekends now, so that could still happen.

uh, not really. he still has that "other obligation" with duke to fulfill on the weekends.

Congrats!! Just as long as your happy. But I still think the dream of a strip club DJ should be in the works. :ylusy:

He's free on weekends now, so that could still happen.

uh, not really. he still has that "other obligation" with duke to fulfill on the weekends.

Oh man that's aweful, them adult diapers are nasty

Sweet! My neighbor across the street works for IBM out of his home -- has some cool conferencing equipment so he can participate in meetings I guess. If you're ever here stop over and I'll make ya some RIBS.

:)

High probability I will be calling your neighbour in the coming months for some teleconferencing.

I went to check out the new diggs yesterday afternoon and it's pretty sweet.

Turns out I have to manage a whole SINGLE auditorium. They do about 150 meetings a year (compared to 1500 I do a year currently) and the rest of my time gets spent walking back and forth to the Tim Horton's across the hall (yeah, seriously) and surfing the internet without getting IBM sued (challenge accepted!).

The guy currently doing the job told me I should buy a PSP or a DS and get lots of books, he said this infront of of our HR manager, who agreed.

Have I died?