Logitech MX 518 8 button or the G5?

bushwack

Newegg has the mx518 for $40 and the G5 for $45 both free shipping. Do the G5 weights make much difference? I kinda like the look of the mx518 better. Adjustable DPI does not interest me.

I'm used to a old skool Logitech 2 button mouse. I'm not sure about all the other buttons. Any probs with the side buttons getting in the way? The top ones?

(edited)

I used to have an MX500, I thought the buttons on the side were great. I used them exclusively as forward and backward buttons for the internet.

Now I have a G5, but I have one of the older ones which has one thumb button. It was annoying at first because I got so used to have two thumb buttons but the G5 has a mouse wheel that goes left and right, so now I use that. The new G5 has two thumb buttons though, so this isn't an issue anymore. My brother has one of them but I hate the way the blue crackly skin stuff feels. The thumb buttons don't get in the way, they are above the little ergonomic groove and it's real quick to move your thumb up a little and click them.

The weights are noticeable. I like a heavy mouse, so I put all the heavy weights in at first, then I decided it's probably just slowing down my mouse movement, so I took them all out. The little metal case they come in looks pretty nice though...

The DPI buttons aren't so bad, you can actually change what they do if you don't want them to change the DPI. I don't really need that many mouse buttons so I leave them how they are. I accidentally bump them once in a while and wonder why my mouse is moving so slow, but that very rarely happens. I do like putting the DPI all the way up when other people want to use my computer, and they are like, "How do you use this thing like this!?" then I giggle like a little school girl.

If you don't mind touching snake skin all day I would go with the G5. It has the same stuff as the MX518 and is a laser mouse. Who doesn't love lasers?

Edited by VooDooPC

I agree with those who love the 518. Haven't used the G5, so can't comment on it. For me, I use the side buttons for "forward/back" on the internets, and it also works in windows explorer or any other app that has forward and back functionality. In gaming, I'll assign various tasks to the thumb buttons, voice chat, targeting, or whatever hot key that I'm likely to need in a hurry (fast heals/med kits whatnot) and can't risk the movement to find whatever random key the dev's defaulted it too.

What I did when I was in the market was to go to CompUSA or BestBuy and put my hands on the various mice I was looking at and see which ones felt best to me. Then bought it at NewEGG :P

(edited)

I have the G5. You can just program the dpi buttons easily using the logitech software, and there are customizable weights. You can make it feel heavy or light, whatever you like. I started heavier, then slowly moved all the weights out so now it's empty.

idk about the bottom of the 518 but the pads on the G5 make it glide smoooooth. I also dont know if the 518 has side scroll, but the G5 does and I also have that programmed for UT for certain weapons (very handy). For example,

back=lg

+=mini

r-scroll=shield

l-scroll=deemer

But for everyday apps that need a "forward" I just use the + for that, since dpi switching holds no interest for me either.

Edited by dragonfly

Honestly, go with the 518. The very few extras that the G5 has is really irrelevant. My brother has the 1100 cordless, I like the size of that one and its kind of heavy but I don't want to part with 80 bucks. If they had the 1100 in a corded version at about 40 or 50 then I might consider it.

I have the MX518. Love it. Fits like a glove in my hand. Well positioned buttons. Adjustable DPI. Accurate.

Bought two G5's for my parent's computers.

I want their G5's.

I LOVE the weighted feeling of the G5, and performance and feature-wise they are as good (or better) than the 518. If/when my 518 needs replacing, I will be getting a G5. I also like the "grippy" coating on the G5 better than my 518.

mx518 owner here. Love it, i upgraded to this from a mx310. The buttons are all positioned great, and easy to use. I would like to try out the G5 but i just got this mouse not too long ago, so I'm waiting til i really need a new mouse. I don;t think you can really go wrong with either one, both very good for gaming and functionality. Flip a coin.

I did the same thing Nightling did; I upgraded from an MX310 (used for over 3.5 years; still works, but it's getting a bit old) to an MX518 recently. It feels fine for now. The side buttons and top buttons don't get in my way, and I don't really use them a lot. I was considering buying the G5 when I was looking for a new mouse, but it was more expensive than the MX518 at the time, and I didn't think I'd use the weights that much. Haven't used the G5 before, so I don't know much about its use or feel. :shrug03:

Still can't make up my mind but I'm leaning towards the 518. I don't think I would use any of the extra that the G5 has, plus the G5 would clash with my mouse pad. :freak3:

No the 518 doesn't have the side scrolling wheel Dragonfly. How well is the responsiveness of the wheel on the G5? Do you ever accidentally side scroll? Is it easy to push? I use the mouse wheel as a button ALOT (cant help it my current mouse only has 2 buttons).

Yeah, I LOVE the side scroll! You can't accidentally hit it either, even when pressing down on the scroll wheel. If anything, you'll accidentally scroll down (or up) instead. So if you dont do that with your mouse currently, you wont do it with this one either.

Like was said before, the buttons are all programmable per application, so if you dont want to use the dpi, that's fine - just reprogram the buttons for whatever you want for whatever application. Side scroll alone is a GREAT selling point... ;)

So yeah, anyway, both sides, the wheel itself, and the scroll down/up are all easy to use on my G5 and dont ever get confused accidentally.

I have the G5 and love it. You will be happy.

You could avoid the software...but I wouldn't. This software does NOT need to run in the background for the extras on the mouse. I would install it so you could see all the settings the G5 have. Plus it gives you the choice on what sensitivity you want for each programed key on the mouse.

After a few days i can say this about the G5.

Thought out and organized list of complaints:

accidental right clicks

wheel button too stiff -also end up clicking the left/right scroll at same time if i dont concentrate

the area around the wheel is raised -it annoys me and is only there for cosmetic reasons

the right button is slightly raised on the right side instead of flush like the rest of the mouse -a manufacturing imperfection and the edge annoys me

little to big for my taste

gaming performance seems the same as my old mouse

The goods:

I like the texture

thumb and scroll buttons

nice driver software

adjustable dpi on the fly -essentially useless so far tho

Gonna try to get used to this mouse, my old one already feels kinda small and funny in my hand. Ultimately I think I would have been happier with a G3.

Ultimately I think I would have been happier with a G3.

That's what she said.

I dont notice any of the above complaints on mine. I do know that the middle is raised up, and I never notice it. I did also notice that my old roomie's G5's scroll wasn't as nice as mine (maybe he got a lemon or I got a lucky break?).

I almost wish this mouse was a touch bigger. Anything smaller for gaming for me and my hand complains.

PS Bush, you ever think that maybe it's your taste and hand that dont meet the perfection standards of your mouse? :smiling2: jk! Glad you dont hate us for suggesting it, or at least haven't said so yet.

PPS - what if you program + to be your wheel down? Just a thought.

Edited by dragonfly

i don't find my middle button too stiff. i did have the problem of right or left tilting though but that was with my original g5. the two side button version doesn't have the same issue for me.

if you're feeling those edges perhaps you're holding your mouse wrong? i know exactly what you're talking about but my fingers don't touch it so i've never found it to be an issue. same with the raised middle part. it's not something i've ever really noticed.