is this worth building?

Sedah

(edited)

so yea, ive been playin on my laptop the past months cuz my old gaming desktop retired, mobo burned and video card stopped working so I ended up just takin them apart and sellin them so now jus lookin to build another one, so seeing if its worth the build.

following specs so far:

-Intel i7 920 [already paid for cuz found a great deal for $220]

-Evga Intel x58 atx a1 [already paid for as well, was on sale =)]

-Nvidia GTX260 [buyin another one when time comes] so x2

-CORSAIR XMS3 6GB DDR3

-CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX [already paid for as well] BTW is this enought to power up 2xGTX260 in the long run? or should I sell this and buy the 850?

-Antec 900 Two

-Asus VH226H Monitor 22.5

-Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

-Western Digital Caviar 500gb

everything adds up to about 1300+

been debating if its worth the build or not so seein your outputs. [if not imma jus sell the parts]

and if so, suggest if I should replace any parts [that i havent bought yet... yea?] =) OR if any of you'll have any of that part for sale

Edited by Sedah

Good! Don't...if I were you, I'd buy a single one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143171

You'll get similar performance out of one of these cards vs 2 260's for less money. Then, when you get some extra cash, these will be cheaper and you can put 2 of them in instead.

I can still play Crysis with the settings fairly high with ONE 8800 GTX, with 2 8800 GTX's, I can play with the game graphics on "Very High"

So, what I'm saying here is a single 280 will give you more performance than any game out there needs yet, and you can put 2 of these in later. Know what I mean?

The new ATI card that just came out (4890, I think) is pretty SWEET and it's a little cheaper....however, I prefer nVidia drivers over ATI's, so I tend to stick with nVidia....

Good! Don't...if I were you, I'd buy a single one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143171

You'll get similar performance out of one of these cards vs 2 260's for less money. Then, when you get some extra cash, these will be cheaper and you can put 2 of them in instead.

I can still play Crysis with the settings fairly high with ONE 8800 GTX, with 2 8800 GTX's, I can play with the game graphics on "Very High"

So, what I'm saying here is a single 280 will give you more performance than any game out there needs yet, and you can put 2 of these in later. Know what I mean?

The new ATI card that just came out (4890, I think) is pretty SWEET and it's a little cheaper....however, I prefer nVidia drivers over ATI's, so I tend to stick with nVidia....

yea, kno what ya mean, was plannin to buy the gtx285 in the first place but didnt want to spend the extra money just yet. thats why i went for the lower gtx260

but ya think the gtx260 would be able to run crysis at high settings cuz one of the reason i wanna build this cuz of that game, and fallout 3 which is waitin to be played lol... i already bought both of em

(edited)

i've got a similar system and it's complete overkill for css. well at 3.8ghz anyway. i avg over 200 fps and haven't gone below 100 yet. this is with EVERYTHING full at 1920 including hdr.

as far as other games yes it would be a solid system. i've disabled ht since barely anything uses 4 cores let alone 8. a single 260 would be a bottle neck in that system but it should still be fast enough for just about any game. i assume that monitor runs at 1920x1080 since it's a 22.5" screen based on the model number. too lazy to look it up. anyway, a single 260 should be fine for that res.

to answer your power supply question, no i would not use the 750 when you go sli. for now it's fine. since i've gone crossfire (2x 4870s) i can hear my 1000w psu spin up pretty high. i'd never heard it before. i would at minimum go to an 850w. if you plan on doing any overclocking then i wouldn't get one less than 1000w.

edit - finally got around to updating my system config:

ASUS P6T

Intel i7 920 @ 3.8GHz w/ 1.35v

3 x 2048MB PC3 12800 OCZ Platinum XTC @ 1528MHz (7-7-7-20) w/ 1.6v

2 x Sapphire HD 4870 1GB

SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum

2 x WD1500ADFD RAID 0

4 x WD5000AAKS RAID 0+1

Tt Armor Aluminum Tower

Enermax Galaxy 1000W DXX

DELL 2405FPW, 1905FPW

Edited by Cujo

i've got a similar system and it's complete overkill for css. well at 3.8ghz anyway. i avg over 200 fps and haven't gone below 100 yet. this is with EVERYTHING full at 1920 including hdr.

as far as other games yes it would be a solid system. i've disabled ht since barely anything uses 4 cores let alone 8. a single 260 would be a bottle neck in that system but it should still be fast enough for just about any game. i assume that monitor runs at 1920x1080 since it's a 22.5" screen based on the model number. too lazy to look it up. anyway, a single 260 should be fine for that res.

to answer your power supply question, no i would not use the 750 when you go sli. for now it's fine. since i've gone crossfire (2x 4870s) i can hear my 1000w psu spin up pretty high. i'd never heard it before. i would at minimum go to an 850w. if you plan on doing any overclocking then i wouldn't get one less than 1000w.

edit - finally got around to updating my system config:

ASUS P6T

Intel i7 920 @ 3.8GHz w/ 1.35v

3 x 2048MB PC3 12800 OCZ Platinum XTC @ 1528MHz (7-7-7-20) w/ 1.6v

2 x Sapphire HD 4870 1GB

SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum

2 x WD1500ADFD RAID 0

4 x WD5000AAKS RAID 0+1

Tt Armor Aluminum Tower

Enermax Galaxy 1000W DXX

DELL 2405FPW, 1905FPW

awesome, so imma jus go ahead and return back the 750w and buy the 850w. only 10$ diff. and imma jus stick with the gtx260

a single 260 would be a bottle neck in that system but it should still be fast enough for just about any game. i assume that monitor runs at 1920x1080 since it's a 22.5" screen based on the model number. too lazy to look it up. anyway, a single 260 should be fine for that res.

What he said...mostly. I don't think his 22.5" LCD is 19 x 12...Even if it is, the 260 core 216 (which can be had for $160-180 if you look hard enough) should run just about anything at playable rates with almost all the eye candy turned on. I'm running an MSI 260 core 216 at 19 x 12 and it does just about everything really well (except for Crysis of course).

Still, for the prices, I would prolly do what preacher suggested and spend approx $250 on the ATI 4890 instead of an SLI setup unless you are going to up the rez with a different monitor. That 4890 benches out to be a really sweet card, esp. with the AA and AF turned up at higher rez.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...mp;limitstart=7

Corsair makes outstanding single rail PSUs now. I also think that 850 is a good bet for the money.

*aside...Cujo, what's up with that enermax?

Edited by Tek-Almighty

What he said...mostly. I don't think his 22.5" LCD is 19 x 12...Even if it is, the 260 core 216 (which can be had for $160-180 if you look hard enough) should run just about anything at playable rates with almost all the eye candy turned on. I'm running an MSI 260 core 216 at 19 x 12 and it does just about everything really well (except for Crysis of course).

Still, for the prices, I would prolly do what preacher suggested and spend approx $250 on the ATI 4890 instead of an SLI setup unless you are going to up the rez with a different monitor. That 4890 benches out to be a really sweet card, esp. with the AA and AF turned up at higher rez.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...mp;limitstart=7

Corsair makes outstanding single rail PSUs now. I also think that 850 is a good bet for the money.

*aside...Cujo, what's up with that enermax?

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Asus+VH226H+...t=0&start=0

noob. 1920x1080. figured as much. why else would they make it 22.5 and not just the standard 22"??

what do you mean what's up with that enermax?

btw, i'd probably get the 4890 too.

right now i'm trying to sell my 2x4870s so i can get 2 of the 2gb versions. that would allow me to crank everything in gta 4 and get rid of the turn around chop that i get right now. they're really only necessary in pairs though as a single card can't drive the kind of settings that would allow 2gb to be used.

• 2 weeks later...
Ur teh noob...

You are, however, correct. I should have looked up...so sorry to offend with my arrogant misleadings...

However, the rest of what I said stands true.

:) i didn't look it up. just based on my general knowledge of the way monitor companies seem to function. they're all going 16:9 now and coming with hdmi.

The ATI card is pretty sweet--though I still say that I don't like ATi drivers--and all I used to buy was ATi....

Anyway, the 260's should be fine, but I'd still get a 280 or 285 over it and worry about upgrading later.

I have a single 8800 GTX (OC), and I run Crysis just fine--but not at 1920 x 1200 (my monitor is 1640)

So, yeah, either way, it's a nice system.

I don't know much about Enermax PSU's...though, you'd be surprised at how good the Coolermaster stuff is, and it's fairly cheap. Thermaltake, and most Antec lines are also fantastic. I would stay away from Corsair, though I think Thermaltake makes the PSUs for OCZ....I don't know, it's hard to keep up with which company is making what for who. :freak:

Anyway, good luck with the build!

Not sure if I would buy Windows Vista right now. WIndows 7 RC is due out in the next couple of weeks which will be valid until next year sometime. Use an existing license of XP if you have it and save yourself that money.

i jus bought it, would the '7' be any better? or worth waiting? i can always resell this; havent used it yet, and how long is 'couple weeks'?

I don't know much about Enermax PSU's...though, you'd be surprised at how good the Coolermaster stuff is, and it's fairly cheap. Thermaltake, and most Antec lines are also fantastic. I would stay away from Corsair, though I think Thermaltake makes the PSUs for OCZ....I don't know, it's hard to keep up with which company is making what for who. :freak:

Why avoid Corsair, they're the highest rated PS over 600 watts?

who avoids it? i bought the 750w frm corsair =)

Mav said avoid them, I was curious why.

Not sure if I would buy Windows Vista right now. WIndows 7 RC is due out in the next couple of weeks which will be valid until next year sometime. Use an existing license of XP if you have it and save yourself that money.

i jus bought it, would the '7' be any better? or worth waiting? i can always resell this; havent used it yet, and how long is 'couple weeks'?

YES, windows 7 has all the functionality of xp pro and all the features of Vista and none of the slow downs.

YES, windows 7 has all the functionality of xp pro and all the features of Vista and none of the slow downs.

so yea, looked up on windows 7 and seems it wont be comin out till later this year. hmmm i'll probably jus upgrade OS later on, lol dont wanna wait on W7 to get it up & running.