Banned...

amertrash

So tonight I was banned by an admin after I crashed and timed out and he asked why I retried to which I responded "hl2 crashed doofus"(watch the console, you'll see "amertrash timed out"). All in all pretty funny considering I almost never break the rules(other then TKing ninja/korean a bit which is pretty mutual), that numerous regulars I play with break the rules all the time, that I know and talk to quite a few of the admins, that I've been a regular here for a year and a half or so, or that there was no warning just an instant ban. The fact that the use of the word "doofus" is apparently a deep enough offense to instantly banned without warning is pretty awesome. Good Job.

Exactly. I kicked him exactly twice.

<turns to trash>

1st kick was for calling me a doofus.

2nd kick was for getting back in so fast that you weren't going to miss a round....

I was watching for you to rejoin. I don't need your resume' or good behavior log, I just require that you don't call me names.

thx

<turns to trash>

2nd kick was for getting back in so fast that you weren't going to miss a round....

thx

mmmkay. I've never seen anyone kicked without a warning(even people blatantly breaking the rules) , muchless kicked for rejoining right way. Not to mention I had person on my friends list talking to you that said you'd unban me if I "apologized".

mmmkay. I've never seen anyone kicked without a warning(even people blatantly breaking the rules) , muchless kicked for rejoining right way. Not to mention I had person on my friends list talking to you that said you'd unban me if I "apologized".

Technically...a kick is a warning. This really isn't that big of a deal, and I would hate to see this get blown out of proportion, you are a regular guest in the server, and I personally like you being around, but you gotta see the other side of this...he doesn't know you yet, or know that you call people names all the time in good fun...as far as he is concerned, you were joe pubber calling him a doofus.

One of our standards has always been zero tolerance for disrespect to other players, which includes name calling, but those of us that know you realize that you mean nothing by it. So I guess the moral of the story is...get to know people before you call them names...as strange as that sounds..

I would chaulk it up as misunderstanding/lesson learned....but thats your call.

Isn't that what the logs are for?

Really? Arent you an admin or something? If you were my kid you'd be so grounded.....

<turns to trash>

I was watching for you to rejoin. I don't need your resume' or good behavior log, I just require that you don't call me names.

thx

To qutoe this fat guy I know...almost..."no matter how long you're gone, nothing really changes"...

(hehheeh)

I would consider it a misunderstanding like someone mentioned before. It seems that amertrash wasn't banned like he thought and amertrash calling fatty a doofus isn't meant as an insult coming from trash. I enjoy playing with trash and I find him to be one of the more entertaining players on the server. Trash hates everyone....remember the whole vovik thing a month or so ago? So to clarify when trash says anything that seems insulting, he really isn't....it is just his form of sarcasm. One other thing to note, Amertrash has told me on multiple occasions he really likes being shot in the head in CS....so let's not deprive him of this joy. :stretch:

Btw, who is the person who refers to people as "babe" when talking in the server. Is that Smeg or Amertrash or someone else? I laugh every time hear them refer to someone by calling them babe but I can't remember exactly who that is.

Edited by Jibbajabba

Koreanheat...and you need him to read and relay better because I never used the word "unban" because there was never a ban. However, you were correct in quoting the word "apologize" as I did use it, but I'm not sure why you put quotes around it in this setting...is it a foreign concept now?

@ Stutters: This had zero to do with light hearted fun...that's all I bring. Anyone that plays with me can attest to that. What I do find interesting is that while Amertrash may be a great guy and a server regular, the direct context is being overlooked and at the same time the responsibility seems to be on me to interpret being called a name in a different way. You don't call someone names that you have no relationship with, nor is calling names the best foreplay for a relationship.

And finally

I've never seen anyone kicked without a warning(even people blatantly breaking the rules)

This means admins aren't acting quick enough, but instead promoting drama and distraction (especially if it's blatant rule breaking)

What I do find interesting is that while Amertrash may be a great guy and a server regular, the direct context is being overlooked and at the same time the responsibility seems to be on me to interpret being called a name in a different way.
we're looking at this from different perspectives, yours seeming to be that interpretation of name calling. mine is that admins are expected to use judgment. we're supposed to be hosts and ambassadors. do you think kicking someone was the most effective way of getting your point across? mani is so feature rich, it seems like there was a missed opportunity to communicate a message...like use of ma_mute, ma_gimp, ma_say, etc.

i remember a specific instance when someone said something about "dumb kids should have rocks thrown at their heads." you muted them, ma_say'd points about how that's not how we roll, unmuted him, he picked right back up, then you muted him again, banned him in hlsw (didn't kick), then reminded the server of what happens to people who don't follow the rules. he eventually left. about 5 minutes of slapping, freezing, blinding, teleporting, went into it. the crowd loved it, a message was made, and a kid with a malicious intent was taken out. that was awesome, and something i modeled after.

do you think kicking someone was the most effective way of getting your point across?

yes

I don't need a lesson in public-advocacy. Search the banned threads for all my quick hits and non-tolerance during our years of growth...but for each one of those, there are 10 examples of how I put our gamers' entertainment and fun on the top of the list.

This is completely ridiculous. For so minor an infraction (and yes, it is minor, doofus is a name that makes 4 year olds chuckle, come on) all you need is a "please don't call me that", or a "Seriously, don't talk to me like that". That's the kind of reaction I would have expected from an admin for something like this, if they happened to get offended. Obviously I wasn't there, so if there is any context I'm missing, feel free to fill me in.

That being said, I don't think the reactions to this whole issue have been appropriate. Trash, regardless of whether or not you're rightfully or wrongfully banned/kicked, I really don't think sarcasm will get you anywhere, and I definitely don't think it's a good first step if there's to be any resolution to this. Fatty, after playing on the server with you last night and hearing you say bastard and damn repeatedly (think I even heard someone say poop, though I honestly can't remember if that was you or not, so if it wasn't, disregard that part), I doubt 'doofus' is really a kickable offense. Not that I'm saying I'm personally offended by bastard or damn, I'm just saying that some people might be, or the wrong impression is being given to new people of how we run the server. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Bottom line, I think there should be a kiss-and-make-up. And photos for blackmail purposes.

My 2½ cents.

Here's the summary:

Amertrash: I was a victim

Fatty: I was insulted

Stutters: It wasn't warrented

Others: Overreaction

Fatty: So I wasn't insulted?

--------

Peck, yes, you missed the context. Anything I said or did last night was all in fun, and you sure know it, so don't try to bullpoop around and make a comparison. Amertrust's comment was DIRECTLY a response TO ME with an ATTITUDE. You're trying to compare exclamations to direct names. Awwwww truck is not the same as you trucker. Nor is it the same when I call Clueless a bastard because he snapped off a fade-away headshot.

What in the hell have we come to that instead of someone who namecalls thinking, "wow, did I offend you? If so, I didn't mean to"....to "I WAS ABUSED IT WAS UNFAIR", and the public runs to their aid. Wait, this is the world as we know it right?

Peckles, what was your handle in the server last night? Remind me.

--------

Just last night, with 3 hours of laughing while gaming I was thinking it was fun to be back. This part, while somewhat familiar, has definitely evolved since I've been away. I've seen the claim of abuse, time and time again....for 11 years..... but never the undermining. I guess some are in need of side-shows.

(my longest post in 3 years)

Ok, I'm not going to let this tarnish my desire to get the server hopping again, and I do not see the need to repeat myself in this thread anymore. I'm not going to say the word context again. I'm not going to try to teach a lesson in The Eye of the Beholder....cause it's not sticking....

Disregard...I searched. "One Wasted Peklz .gc"

There was a time when this would be a complete no-no. However, we've obviously let up a bit, which is great. But don't come in here calling me on swear words wearing that name...fo real.

Am I really posting on gcftw defending myself????

Okay so I was there that night and I know Trash and Fatty, and let me just lay this out as I saw it.

Fatty (Founder) who never plays blessed us with some good hearted fun. Came in filled the room with this fatty spirit trying to get things happening.

Ameritrash who I play with often and is a lot of fun and a good member was there to enjoy himself.

Trash was upset with some technical difficulties and when ask by the beloved Fatty uses the word Doofus, so someone I know, a friend, a co worker I laugh it off because I know it is all in fun. If I dont know you and this is one of the few times we have ever interacted....well look out.

In the past and I have always used a nice kick to get someones attention when they act up, and in this case it was used in that fashion. Fatty does not know Trash, he could be a real jerk and Fatty was not going to allow it. Ninja told Fatty that "hey trash was just joking around he does that a lot here, he is good guy...etc" Fatty said " okay cool just tell him to say sorry and dont call me names".

Hey guess what lesson learned...Fatty does not like to be called names by people he does not know...DO ANYONE of us?????

If I meet someone for the first time and said something that upset them, you bet I would say I am sorry (unless I really meant it and then this all does not matter) and I think we ALL need to just take it as that.

Fatty does not "HATE" or "Dislike" Trash, he just does not know him and does not like to be called names.

Trash...it is no big deal, I am sure it did not mean it in anyway other than a light hearted fun way, so no biggy to say sorry mhen...my bad..did not mean to hurt you.

YEA!!!!! We are all friends.....come on people just relax and live...Enjoy...and get to know each other.

SOOo really, it is time for a nice little sorry and a handshake and we can smile and get back to having fun. It is a Game right?

The other thing that I think people are missing here is just how minor of a thing this was...if we all sit back and count the times we kicked someone for doing something we perceived as rude or insulting, we would quickly run out of fingers and toes, and the point has been made here many times already, although WE know Trash, Fatty doesn't, or vise-versa...so what we know was harmless, Fatty perceived as insulting, and he gave him a kick for it. If Trash would have stuck around, i would bet my arse that Fatty would have not gave it another thought, and would have interacted with Trash and had fun with him just as anyone else in the server....he would have considered it a done deal, but for some reason, a very minor "adjustment" episode has turned into a drama episode, and it's a bummer.

Most of this shouldn't even be happening out here, and I am quite surprised to see that it is.

And another thing...if this situation involved other people...the same dude people are trying to throw mud at right now, would have your back in a second...remember that.