Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3?

ZeroDamage

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I preordered BF3 from Amazon and hope I do not regret it. My Canadian Clan guys are pretty much all doing it over MW3 this time around. I honestly loved MW2's game-play but despised the lack of patching and the exploits and cheating that took place because of the player-hosted multi-player. BF3 looks amazing but I am not into all of the player controlled vehicles stuff in these types of games. I like to lay back, find my spot and snipe your faces off. Black Ops lacked that but MW2 catered to it. The question is whether MW3 will repeat the failure of MW2 with a lack of a real anti-cheat and dedicated servers. Nevermind the lack of support by Activision.

So where is everyone going if anywhere at all? I miss FPS combat and CS:Source just does not cut it for me. Despite the latest patch the registration is still horrid; I do not get why people still play it. Maybe because it is old and most systems can play it now? Anyway. What's the choice here? A GC BF3 server would be nice.

I'm more excited about BF3, but I'll probably be picking them both up. BF3 for the pc and MW3 for the 360. And as for the server...

We are always willing to try but I think we've tried launching 3 or more BF servers over the last decade or so and not one of them lasted longer than a month or two.

I hate you all.

Also, might have just bought BF3 and it might just be downloading...

edit -- origin ID = ilovetomatoes-gc (they don't allow . and ilovetomatoes was already taken. I mean really, who else has that as their name???)

Edited by ilovetomatoes

I'll be picking up MW3 for PS3 in a couple weeks. My buddy roped me into it for MW2, and now I'm kind of obligated to keep playing with him. If you must wade into the cesspool of immature a-holes, best do it with a friend.

Also, I could see myself getting into BF3 on PC, but it will be a while before I can afford to pick it up. Might need to be on sale sometime in the future.

Is this game very hard to see characters during gameplay? That's what I don't care for in the Call of Duty series....too much going on and very detailed environments make it hard to see people, except of course to the people who have no lives and play 9 hours a day, they can spot and kill you pretty easily, lol.

Is this game very hard to see characters during gameplay? That's what I don't care for in the Call of Duty series....too much going on and very detailed environments make it hard to see people, except of course to the people who have no lives and play 9 hours a day, they can spot and kill you pretty easily, lol.

Not if you're playing it on an 8800 GTX like myself, the fact I feel like I'm playing Soldier of Fortune 2 from a graphics standpoint (it doesn't look anywhere near as good as BFBC2 for example) and am still loving it says quite a lot about the gameplay.

I will be upgrading in the near future, I'm sure it will feel even more awesome....

If you think you see a guy you can hit Q to "spot", when you spot guys it will put a red triangle over a guys head. Your teammates can also spot guys to put triangles over their heads for you. The muzzle flashes are huge as well, you can see them pretty far away. Snipers also have a glint from their scope. Bad guys not using suppressors show up on your minimap when they fire. So there's a few ways they've made it easier to find guys.

The hardest place to find guys is when you're in a tank.

Even if you can't see anyone you can still get a lot of points doing other things like healing teammates, resurrecting teammates, resupplying teammates, having your squad spawn on you, shooting tanks/planes/helicopters, taking control points. This is much more of a team game than Call of Duty.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the comparison between Call of Duty and Battlefield, the fact that they're both Military-Warfare First-Person-Shooters is about the stretch that they go in comparisons.

They both follow two different sub genres, and encourage two very different game play strategies.

On the one hand, Call of Duty games offer up the "One Man Army" style of game-play, which allows players to freely fight the war alone online - and succeed quite handsomely.

Battlefield games, generally, on the other hand, require a cooperation between players, and encourages team work aspects.

The run-down between the two is generally... Call of Duty offers an expansive, great single player or story-driven experience, while it's often lacking in the multiplayer component, whereas

Battlefield's single-player is usually a simple practice before taking the fight online - where its online play is unparalleled next to none. Play Call of Duty for the story, play Battlefield for the multiplayer.

This of course isn't to say that Call of Duty doesn't have great multiplayer. Quite often, it does. Call of Duty 4 offered a great experience. Hands down, the best experience a COD game has ever offered.

Call of Duty MW2 moved towards the fully-publisher hosted servers - which resulted in a lot of cheating, and overly hampered gaming. Effectively, it's why COD4 is still alive, while MW2 is hanging in limbo.

I, personally, have several favorites as far as experiences go in COD4.

However, COD4 often employed very small, very frantic spam-fest fights. And most of the COD games employ this attitude.

Battlefield on the other hand, provides a slower, more strategic element to the FPS genre, which, generally more often than not, discourages run-n-gun solo tactics, and active rewards the cooperation.

When I'm looking for some crazy over-the-top action, I head out to a COD4 server and play for a while. It can be great fun. However, when I'm interested in a more tactile approach, I give BF2, and now, BF3

a few hours of my time. Both games offer a lot of great. But more often than not, I play COD for its great single player experience, with a something-more-to-desire multiplayer, where I head off to Battlefield.

Generally, the Battlefield games have offered the opposite : A more-to-be-desired singleplayer and an outstanding online play.

With Battlefield 3, they offer the ability to play a COOP campaign with a friend, but still, it feels lacking - and its greatness shines online. However, there are some Battlefield 3 maps that have attempted to take

the frantic over-the-top action that COD offers, and apply the strategic element. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - and you can really see how good or bad (at the time) it's working, based on your current

team structure.

When it comes down to it, though, it really depends on what kind of game play you're looking for, and that's how you determine which of the two games you want to play. Neither is better than the other, since they're not

really the same genre. And where one is up while the other is down, it comes down to your personal preference.

On a hardware technical standpoint, though, Battlefield 3 was designed on two engines - one for the consoles, and a separate markup for the PC. COD4 was the last COD game to support actual configurable PC Gaming.

Many may argue that BlackOps offered it, but those who had BO servers would note that you really had no configuration options other than a map rotation and server messages. MW2 offered no servers outside of the publisher's

decision of dedicated hosting, and MW3 will be the same way. Essentially, MW2 and MW3 are console games - ported to the PC, and this isn't necessarily bad for those of you with less than perfect computer builds.

MW2 and MW3 both don't demand a serious gaming rig - remember, they're working with consoles; machines several years old. Its requirements are minimalistic compared to Battlefield 3, if you're looking to max out the engine.

I like the simplistic approach, personally. It means more gamers can play the game at smoother framerates, increasing the overall solid gameplay experience. Also, Infinity Ward is known for its solid networking code, so you'll see less

in the way of hiccups than you would in Battlefield.

Still, with the imperfections that each game represents aside, it again just comes down to exactly what you're looking for. A solid single-player experience, with a decent multiplayer, or a thrown-together single-player experience with a near-perfect multiplayer. Either way - the multiplayer of both games will provide hours upon hours of enjoyment.