Reserve slot idea

specialk

I know the server is #1 and that means getting on at night becomes more difficult even for reserve slot holders, so I was thinking if there was a way to connect to the server via console and kick a random non slot holder or the person with the slowest PPM?

But also have it set to a maximum of 8-10 holders.

Example: when 10 holders are in the server , even if you have a slot you wouldnt be able to join.

If this can be done I would think it would make more people to buy a reserve slot.

I can't help but feel that's a bit unfair to someone already in the game, just randomly kicking them

Why not just add a few more reserve slots, so that if you join, you can wait until a spot opens without repeatedly spamming to join ;)

This is exactly what happens in our CS:S server. Members take spots of non-members that are already playing. And as for adding more reserve slots, it makes the already unstable 10v10 even more unstable. You could expect to maybe never finish a campaign without a server crash.

I'd say talk to sky at skyrpg. he knows how to code the kick function for l4d nonmembers and is pretty helpful when it comes to that stuff. Though he may expect you to join his sever from time to time. Think he got mad at me for not doing so. just didn't care for the level up feature. >_> Anyway, Just recommending him since from what i remember, jackie doesn't know how to code this function. I'm guessing it's a hassle. Otherwise I guess you could out a request at the modders forum.

I can't help but feel that's a bit unfair to someone already in the game, just randomly kicking them

Why not just add a few more reserve slots, so that if you join, you can wait until a spot opens without repeatedly spamming to join ;)

This is exactly what happens in our CS:S server. Members take spots of non-members that are already playing. And as for adding more reserve slots, it makes the already unstable 10v10 even more unstable. You could expect to maybe never finish a campaign without a server crash.

So it's fair for members that pay for the slot wait over 20 minutes to play as well? i think the idea is being used in tf2 as well as css, i would think that would encourage more people to donate and get a slot.

Its not a fortune 15 dollars.

It would have to be built into this plugin:

http://forums.allied...d.php?p=1058995

And you'd have to fetch data from the mySQL database and whatnot.

And I'm not asking Sky either since it seems he only adds me on his friends list when he wants to boast about whatever it is he has made, then remove me from his friends list when he gets tired of it.

GC Alumni
(edited)

you would need a web interface, doesn't necessarily need a mysql backend.

If we were really serious I could code it, but I am kind of against this because it makes gcftw seem like an exclusive 1337-ist community

Edit: Don't even really need a web interface. Just a simple program I suppose... but it could also lead to abuse issues with members sharing logins with non-members

Edit Edit: If the app interfaces with steam there wouldn't be any abuse issues.

Edited by crasx

And I'm not asking Sky either since it seems he only adds me on his friends list when he wants to boast about whatever it is he has made, then remove me from his friends list when he gets tired of it.

Oh so he's just like every other computer programmer? or 99% of them

Oh so he's just like every other computer programmer? or 99% of them

Don't judge us. :P

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Its not unfair at all. It also means you can get rid of the spec slots which will make the server more stable. You already log play time, how about kicking non members people based on that and not randomly. Or kick based on who joined the server most recently. Then you don't annoy the regulars who aren't members. Or do it randomly, whatever. But this should totally be added.

Edited by napalm22

well if you really want this to be about membership/max income you can kick non-members with the most playtime thus forcing them to donate =]

Too late, if my engineering degree has taught me anything its that most of us amazing engineers are self centered

The hardest part I think for members getting into a slot that opens up in the evening is the time it takes to type out to join a team. Theres a lot of people that set to join the server when a slot opens up. So they connect quickly and take that open spot from a member who has been waiting in spec for 20 minutes.

Too late, if my engineering degree has taught me anything its that most of us amazing engineers are self centered

and if my experience with engineering students has taught me anything, it's that the self centered engineers aren't usually that amazing :propeller:
  • Like 1

how about a command that tells the server to move you to a team when a space opens

This could create problems for people who go to spec during a washroom break or important interruption.

(edited)

Its sounds like detecting when a member is trying to join and auto kicking someone is going to be tricky to implement. How about a members only command called !forcejoin. Detect if the user is a member, if they are, randomly kick a non member and add the user to a random team (to prevent abuse). You still need to be able to get into the server as spec, but its better than nothing.

EDIT: or how about an auto join option? Don't kick anyone, but as soon as as someone else leaves, you join automatically

Edited by napalm22
  • Like 2

I'd say talk to sky at skyrpg. he knows how to code the kick function for l4d nonmembers and is pretty helpful when it comes to that stuff. Though he may expect you to join his sever from time to time. Think he got mad at me for not doing so. just didn't care for the level up feature. >_> Anyway, Just recommending him since from what i remember, jackie doesn't know how to code this function. I'm guessing it's a hassle. Otherwise I guess you could out a request at the modders forum.

I probably need to clarify something...

I rarely get mad about anything kira :)

I actually cleared my entire friends list when i quit playing left 4 dead 2. A lot of people who had been on my list thought I was upset; I wasn't.

As far as... the reserve for members functionality goes... That's not so difficult to write, I think I actually sent you a version of it in PM. It's simply an admin flags check on postadmin function.

Also, server instability is most likely due to two things, unfortunately:

a.) poorly set up networking convariable options in the server.cfg

b.) poorly written plugins.

the gcftw server has a lot of plugins; I was in this morning viewing them in the plugins list, trying to deduce what is causing the crashes that range from a random interval of, somewhere between 15 minutes to a few hours after server restart.

Trust me, when I say it's the two things above, as we've worked heavily with that stuff, even after closing sgo several months a go. Night Fury and I still tinker with settings.

Our average up time after we cleaned everything up was between 5 and 7 days.

I would also watch out for the people who are trying to charge for plugin creation. Most people are people who will go find an existing plugin, or they've paid less and are just trying to resell plugins. They're all over alliedmods.

The trick with left 4 dead 2, is since there isn't a real reserve slot function (reserveslots.smx does nothing in l4d2) the only way to have you autojoin would be to have a free slot, where they're spectating, and just automatically assign them to a team if a player leaves. It still requires additional slots, so, while you could technically run 10v10 with 12 additional slots for reserve players to idle on, even adding a few spectators will stress out a server. At about 25 players, the server will become completely unstable, even when running extremely stable code and networking settings.

The unfortunate best idea, if you go the reserve slots route is to simply have it remove players when a donator connects, if there are no available "non-reserve checker" slots.

I had changed the functionality in mine to incorporate the idea of... "Instead of kicking a non donator when a donator connects, it simply moves the non donator that is randomly selected to spectator."

It's just a matter of how you want to do it. Of course, you don't need reserve slots either. But, there's no perfect way to do it.

how about a command that tells the server to move you to a team when a space opens

This can be easily done as well, Jackie: if you go this route, simply create an array which houses the names of the people in the wait list. Push and pull the users as they are removed from it, whether it's because they remove themselves from the list, are placed on a team, or quit the server.

You can also do it as in the post above, where the reserve slot functionality only kicks in during certain hours. Extremely flexible, but just no perfect way to make everyone happy.