Hey Spec Campers

JackieChan

Please, if you have no intention of playing and just afk in spec forever, don't hog the spot. Open it up for another person who wants to join. If you're sitting in spec and are trying to join a team, fine, but don't just sit there and be all afk.

Don't make me write something where it auto kicks people if they're in spec for too long.

• Like 1

(edited)

*sheepish look*

Ok sorry - I know I'm guilty of spec'ing too long. Just too hard to grab an open spot sometimes in the times I can play... Server's always full. :(

Wonder if I can purchase a permanent spec spot on the Server? :)

Edited by Baloosh

Sometimes you gotta go to the bathroom, relax, chat with a lady...or do a little stress test on your computer to see if the overclocking is holding or will freeze you up....

But I think that's reasonable Jackie :D

GC Alumni

Please, if you have no intention of playing and just afk in spec forever, don't hog the spot. Open it up for another person who wants to join. If you're sitting in spec and are trying to join a team, fine, but don't just sit there and be all afk.

Just like Yuri, Jerk. She didn't know what afk meant either.

I get the feeling that people sitting in spec on map changes is what causes some of the crashes...

prob not considering the server crashes even when theres 0 in spec

Just like Yuri, Jerk. She didn't know what afk meant either.

lawl i just wanted to be 100% dork

GC Server Admin

I find being in Spec occasionally helps improve my admin skills - still a bit of a noob at this (compared to others); and wish to say a VERY BIG THANK YOU to LadyYuri for being so helpful yesterday. :boing:

• Like 1

GC Alumni

Come on guys. AFK = Away From Keyboard. Not Adminning From Keyboard, or Admiring FlitterKill, Any Freaky (Donkey)Konging, or any other acronym. I would preferably like to not have 3 or more people sitting in spec at once as that leaves a bot for a team.

have you tried that multi slots plugin that creates a new survivor only when a player joins the team, to prevent there being a ton of bots on a team?

have you tried that multi slots plugin that creates a new survivor only when a player joins the team, to prevent there being a ton of bots on a team?

That wouldn't work at all, especially if the teams are stacked, even just a little bit. Have you tried playing 10 on 6 alive survivors?? I know it can sometimes be a pain to babysit, but it's still a better choice to be able to choose to leave them than just be at a disadvantage automatically.

Sky
(edited)

True, but it's hard for teams not to be stacked in a 10 on 6 encounter.

But, if you were running a plugin that managed teams to keep them balanced, it'd probably solve the problem.

There are a few out there. It just sucks when you can't trust people to balance the teams themselves.

I honestly don't ever think it'd be a good choice if the teams are 9 on 7 to join the Infected team and make it

10 on 6. Doing that really sounds like griefing, and is just encouraging players to not balance teams. If

the teams had a player imbalance, a plugin should automatically move players to the team with less until

there's as close a balance as possible.

It shouldn't take an admin having to move players or enter the game for players to be respectable to each

other and attempt to manually balance it themselves.

Edit:

What I used to do with spectator slots was that if a reserved member connected, it would, at random, move

a non-reserved, non-admin member to spectator, and place the reserved player on that players team.

This didn't remove the player from the game, and gave them the chance to rejoin the game when a player

left. It also gave the contributors a sort of priority queue, since they could connect even when the server

was full. Of course, there was an optional check that I had set to disabled that would remove spectating

players who were sent there due to being idle in game, or who manually sent themselves to spectator

if they were idle for x minutes or x rounds.

The second part being, it would prevent a player from idling for 4 hours.

None are perfect suggestions or ideas. They're just more ideas into the idea box, and since a lot of questions

have come up from the community members here, any ideas that have worked in the past are probably

good ideas. And, if anyone else has ideas, you should feel encouraged to share them. I'm sure the

server admins would love to hear them.

Edited by Sky

• 1 month later...

Comment from the peanut gallery:

Spec Admin-ing? Good thing. Especially if the person acts as a host, provides good commentary to ongoing action, praises good play, etc. (without aiding one side or the other)

Spec waiting? Well, yeah. You are waiting to get in-game. No problemo of course.

Spec AFK? If it's to answer the door, take a super quick bathroom break? No problem.

Spec camping? Gonna grab a bite to eat? Catch ESPN Sportscenter? Not so good...

Ghosting? That's a paddlin'

• Like 2