What to do...

Gunman

Ok, let me paint you a picture, tell me what you think about it, and whether it is love or not.

A guy meets a girl at a coffee shop and they start talking. Just about different things, where they are from, their families, their life. The guy starts to like the girl and wants to ask her out, but he learns that she already has a boyfriend. So he thinks, hey...at least I can be her friend. Well they hang out for a few weeks, and then one night they are watching a movie together, just the two of them, and the girl says "I am starting to like you," and the guy responds "I like you too." The guy explains his situation, and how he doesnt want to ruin a relationship for his own good, and that is why he hadnt said anything until then. The girl wonders why she could have feelings like this about someone and still be in a relationship with someone else, for over a year.

Over the next couple weeks they talk alot, share their thoughts, feelings, and just about everything. One day the girl tells the guy, "I broke up with my boyfriend." The guy doesnt know what to say or do. He wants to give her time, and respect her as much as possible, but it is just killing him that he doesnt really know what to do. (What would you do here?)

Over the next couple weeks the two have a few 1 on 1 "dates" (put in quotes because they werent planned, they just kind of came together). Watching movies in the guys room while laying on the bed. Where does the guy go from here? (Girls? Guys? What do you think?)

What should the girl do? (Only respond if you ARE a girl to this part)

The guy wants her to always be happy, no matter what. The girl is the only thing that the guy can think of that gets his mind off of his problems in life, the things that stress him the most. Being with her makes him feel so wonderful.

What do you all think?

Gunny

I say continue how you are doing. Be patient and take your time. Love is worth waiting for. She just got out of a long relationship and it might not be the best thing for her to jump into a brand new one. You say you are having a good time with her...well, just continue to do that. Like I said, Love is worth waiting for.

Dweez is 100% Correct.

It was exceedingly upstanding of you to wait until she broke up with her boyfriend before preceeding, I really respect that.

Just take your time and be careful bro. Don't rush into anything. And do not drop the L-bomb for a good while. Give it time to grow.

(edited)

Take that scenario...I was the guy...I went out with her, now its over, broke up 2 days ago...(4 months).

Really, its all about timing...if you know you have a lot of time to make this decision and obstacles are far far away then take your time. However, in my case, college was coming up and we thought that was the best way to stay true to ourselves. The best way to stay with one another and still share those 'feelings.' My relationship ended because of space, of all things, she somehow needed space :(:bang:

Edited by Raven

Well. This is a very delicate situation. Guy likes girl, girl has boyfriend. girl starts to like guy and dumps boyfriend. Guy wants to giver her space. This makes me wonder

Does the girl need space?

Did she break up with her b/f because of the guy?

I dont know, cant answer the questions. Raven you played it cool.

Now when i read that she needed space, is it because she regrets breaking up with her boyfriend?

I dont know, i dont know how to respond to this. The best thing you can do right now i guess is to be her friend. Go from there, it's a good place to start

Now when i read that she needed space, is it because she regrets breaking up with her boyfriend?

Heck no...I think its more that when I was home from college, she felt she needed to spend MOST of the time with me and that got to her. But, right now, believe it or not, she realizes that it wasn't the best decision and we are starting over...slowly. :boing:

Well Adam, I know you like Sarah ALOT. Its kinda really easy to see. I can tell that you dont know what to do about it also. A friend of mine told me it can take half of the time you were in a relationship to get over that person. She had a 1yr relationship so maybe itll take up to 6months! But she didnt seem to be thinking about her ex at all. it almost seemed as if she didnt even get out of a relationship when i saw her. She may already be over him, but I didnt ask her and I dunno what she tells you... I see your deilema here and think maybe she needs a little time for herself b4 starting a new relationship, but TRUST ME: DON'T PASS ON AN OPERTUNITY! You may be happier her than you ever thought you would be.

(edited)

well first off she broke up with her boyfriend for a reason!! It wasnt a coincidence, with you and her and the timing....

Its good not to rush into anything. But trust me, Dont wait to long!! I've been there and done this to many times....dont pass up on the opportunity. give her the space she needs and do what she wants to. if you wait long enough, she will start to lose interest and you will regret it forever.

Edited by NOFX

I am sorry, but there ain't no rings on dem fingers. It might be different if she were going out with a friend of yours, then you might get into where your loyalties lie and whatnot. But from what I understand, this is not the case. But then again, I am into my seventh year of marriage now so during this time your view change quite a bit. I would have (back then) been the same way and prolly went with giving the girl time to make sure she wasn't going to be grabbing the boards (aka rebound). But the way it sounds to me is she found qualities in you that she wants and did not find these in her current boyfriend, so she separated herself from that to make herself available to someone with those qualities (hint,hint,nudge,nudge).

Looking back I realize how much importance I put in stuff like that, and how silly I was for it. When you find the right one, it just happens, that's the way it is. You find yourself doing stuff you never thought you'd do, or doing something that your friends might get a good joke out of, but you don't mind because you know there's something special there.

Up until college, my longest relationship was 3 months straight. I might've gotten back together with the same girl later down the road which I guess you could say would add up to more than three months. But I was never locked down to one girl for more than 3 months consecutively. I mean why limit yourself to one person when you are not even married to that person. And more importantly, what if you might miss that perfect person for you because you are already in a relationship someone. Why?!?! Because you have time invested in it? That's all bullcrap. What it sounds like to me is that she may think she has found that perfect person in you Gunny, so she is giving it a chance. So I urge you to take your chance, it beats waiting around and missing a chance at something special. If it don't work out, it don't work out. You move on and keep looking for that right person.

And also a tip for everyone still in the dating scene, the real relationship don't begin until marriage. Too many people make the mistake of getting married and thinking that it is the crown acheivment in a relationship. Well it don't stop there, marriage is work, you have to continue to nurture your relationship together after you tie the bind or you will grow apart. That's why divorce skyrockets in this day and age. Too many people rush into a relationship and get married cuz "we've been going out for 3 years now". Well WHOOPITY DOO!!! That's because someone was too stupid to keep themselves open to possibilities while they are still single (not in the relationship sense, but the married sense). The crowning achievement of a relationship is when you wake up in bed next to the woman you've been married to for 50 years and still have that same feeling of love for her as when you realized that she was the one.

So do yourself a favor Gunny, and give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...