Return of the King

rackish

actually Crow I agree...I don't think the third film was an instant classic...I found plenty wrong with it and walked away thinking "man I'm glad to get out of here"..whereas with the first 2, even though they were long too, I walked out thinking "can I see that again?...like NOW!"

I also thought the killing of the Witch King was just crap...they took this freakin powerful creature and just made him a pansie...same with when the undead army...I know that they'd be uber but when they came into the battle...it was kinda like....it's like they teased us then right when we're ready for the big sweet stuff...it's just over...WAY too quick...

as for the Sauron thing...you're still wrong Auggy...you're basically saying he's either Uber or a punk...well sorry but the scale is HUGE and there's ALOT of room between those two.

he is NOT all-powerful....but he's a couple notches down...as opposed to your scale...

so until you realize he CAN be a big bad guy and still get screwed by 1 lucky stroke...you're never going to get it. (PDO's explanation was PERFECT btw)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, that battle was pretty cool until the undead guys showed up. I wanted to see some of them fight, but no, there's just this greenish aura that sweeps through the lines of auk, up into the city, and it's over. The angel of death passing through the streets in "The Ten Commandments" was more interesting than that.

Yeah, Merry stabs the Witch king in the ankle with a magical knife which he got from the "Barrowdowns" a place full of magical creatures from the old world. They didnt go into this in the movie because they get saved by Tom Bombadil and unfortunatly he wasnt in the movie.

I think PDO is right, the Witch King couldnt have been killed by a normal man, but in his moment of weakness after being stabbed by the barrowdown blade he probably could have been killed.

As for the movie being an instant classic, im not sure it can be called a classic. When i think of a classic i think of the Godfather or Dr. Strangelove, a movie that truely captured life and a question or something. Its hard to explain what i mean. In the furture it may be considered a classic but as of now its hard to know as no movie like this has ever been made.

Yeah, Merry stabs the Witch king in the ankle with a magical knife which he got from the "Barrowdowns" a place full of magical creatures from the old world. They didnt go into this in the movie because they get saved by Tom Bombadil and unfortunatly he wasnt in the movie.

Thanks Zeab and PDO :D

I totally saw the same movie as Crow.

One of the all time battles was ruined by the ghosts from haunted mansion. THAT WAS LAME guys. To see them raid the orcs like that was not even comical. I thought to myself..."RATS! they ruined yet another part."

T3 wins it for the crane scene in my opinion (awsome job in that movie).

Sauron is a punk no matter what you all say. So someone like mag is way better than mei in cs. I can kill him. BUT there are more than one player. If you took the best CS player (sayron) do you think me and another newbie can kill him?. 2 times the bad guys got punked and that ruins a good movie.

Look its real simple. In no part of this so called classic did I ever feel like there is littlle or no hope. WHY?

Easy, cause you always know theyre gonna get felix's magic bag of tricks and pull out some dead army or some other

lame mug reason to win what could have been a all time classic battle and eventually the war. In such a story I think it's VERY important to make one feel like there is no hope. I never felt it through the whole series...in other words "PREDICTABLE AS HEAK".

and anything with more than 17 endings needs to be edited! And that is a FACT friends.

Sorry to rain on everyones parade but I'm just saying pay attention and you'll see how predictable it is.

You'll see Frodo from the beginning is WAY too dramatic..."I want to hear more about sam....Frodo baggin would never have made it this far without his freind sam." that line was classic (comical). Reminds me of "your in my very soul tormenting me....." hahahahahahah aha hahahahahaha

If someone can tell me how a great warrior like sauron with this great powerful ring got punked ONE ON ONE (in CS its team effort) then I may watch the movies again to reform my opinion. But anticipating 3 3-hour movies of melodramatic acting is hard to do.

The one thing no one seems to agree with me is the GREAT CGI work and PERFORMANCE of Golum. THAT GUY MADE THE 2ND MOVIE.

Also I'm looking into the philosophies of the series....Perhaps this will change my opinion of the storyline.

Crow is right...Indy, Star wars (4,5,6) are simply better. They just didnt have the CGI to do the stuff of today. Imganine Empire strikes back today with the THX surround and CGI (and better directing than lucas hahahahah ahahahah aha)

Auggy OUT!

Aug, When Rackish posted this...I'm sure he posted this for fans...not for people who "hate fantasy movies". This is the mentality of the people who have a say in the Oscars. Go review Fried Green Tomatoes or something, and leave this for the fans who A- Love the movies/books B- Have a imagination, and C- Understand the intensions by Token and the changes in direction by Jackson.

I am a bit defensive on this... because this movie IS MY PRECIOUS!

Linch, then again if know my post is off in a bad direction Don't read it.

Its a free forum and all opinions are welcome; last I checked. I'm not trying to bring anyone down. I'm just awed how people can cling to something simply cause the books are classics. I do believe that if there were no classic novels (the movies were original) people would not be saying what they say. No offense linch to your precious but I simply like to feel challenged with movies. These movies did not challenge me in any way to feel anything towards any of the characters EXCEPT Golum who is superb.

as for your statment

Go review Fried Green Tomatoes or something, and leave this for the fans who A- Love the movies/books B- Have a imagination, and C- Understand the intensions by Token and the changes in direction by Jackson.

1) never seen Fried Green tomatoes.

B) no I wont leave this forum simply cause your feelings are hurt. I am not trying to hurt you or anyone so buck up little camper.

2) Simply cause I struggle with fantasy does not tantamount to having no imagination. A poor statement like that leads me to understand how can you like these movies so well! Im kidding linch... dont get mad :)

3) I'm getting into the intention...I truley am interested in the philosophies which I've really been trying to see but am totally blind to. I do feel there are some great points made (especially via golum and frodo) but thats far from enjoying the movie. For example I think (again I think) Frodo and Golum are reflections of each individual. Seperate entities who symbolize each one of us and our dilemas and descisions. I'm probably totally wrong cause I certainly am no philosopher. But I tend to see such a great picture of faith and doubt in these 2 characters. Of course it is their story that won my opinion in movie 2. 1 was a dud in my opinion.

Now with all that said seriously linch I'm not trying to bring anyone down. I just had so many problems through the series and I think it's because I'm not baffeled with battles and action to the point that I excuse other points. I felt like these movies could or should have been done with more seriousness. For example Alien is filmed in a serious manner.

Anticipation in Alien if PERFECT. I think with the style of LOTR it should have been scary when they go into scary places.

Perhaps I'm way off....Heak I never did like New kids on the block when all america loved em.

Well,

cheers!

Don't worry Linch you'll get your chance to HS me in CS and believe me I'm no better than I was a month ago.

Aug

No offence taken at all aug :P It just seems like this thread feels like it belongs in the Political forum. Post after post by 1 or 2 individual, proving that they are right and everyone else is wrong. Again the spirit of this post was to share appreciation of the film.. not to bash it. Want to start a intelligent lotr complaint thread... then go for it...

As for this thread.... What Gunny said

P.S ... I was being a tad cynical in my previous post 8P):rolleyes:0o0

Guest [TFR]Whitey
Guest [TFR]Whitey
Guest [TFR]Whitey
Guests

Quite frankly the seige would have been lost had the army of the dead not arrived. In the books there was about 16,000 men in the seige versus atleast 100,000... Go figure some dead guys help you.

Where lord of the rings movie differ from the books is the action... There is quite abit more story and story depth in the books where as the movies put all the imphasis on the action versus the story. I didn't like it that they did that, but they were still three great movies...

Its a free forum and all opinions are welcome; last I checked.

wrong...no forum on the internet is free with all opinions welcome

:)

the moderators ARE gods on forums and when they say you're post about banana's is going too far...it IS going too far.

as for Alien...that movie bores me...whereas Aliens is a great film.

oh and to address something you said: yes Golum is the freakin coolest thing in the world.

did anyone see his MTV Movie awards acceptance speech? now THAT was funny.

*edit*

Golum speech (some profanity)

for fun...Yoda's acceptance speech

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

Who said this movie was unpredictable?

I didnt think it would be, did you think all of them were going to die in the end or somethign?

Having read the books i knew exactly what was going to happen, thats a moot point.

I think now your TRYING to find flaws where there are none just for the sake of argument. I can see this because your arguments now are all different from the ones you were using before...

Edited by Zeabos

Ok so be it! True playaa I don't mean totally free. But my opinions have been nothing except the movies are not all that.

I don't think I violated any rules. Except to hurt a few feeling about a movie :( But enough said about my gripes I think everyone knows my feelings on it ROFL :)

As for Golum dude I can't say enough about that cat. I want a whole trilogy on that dude and his adventures. That would float my boat. One thing I can say is I want to see shirley mclains face when this movie goes up for movie of the year (yes I don't think it should but everyone else loves it). I don't know if anyone remembers her comment and the academys when Beauty and the beast went up for movie of the year....She dogged it. I saw the movie at Disneys El Capitan and I must say it knocked my socks off for a musical animation. I was alright with it as a nomination (not as a winner though, sort of . So it was argued should animations be considered for movie of the year. Should an animated character be nominated for supporting roles? If golum got a nomination ID VOTE FOR THE DUDE!!! Ha ha I know thats ridiculous but he is what helps people get lost in these movies. Golum lives! Hey am i spelling his name right?

Auggybendoggy

Ok this is for those who read the books.....do you guys agree with me that if they had put every detail into the movies from the books we would have been there for 5 hours? So much is left out in the movie and iw ould love to have seen the ending like it was in the book....seeing them go back to their homes and finding everything changed and the hobbits fighting......but im also thinking some of this might have been filmed and will be in an extended version :)

No, Hollywood is going to put their own stuntmen out of business, by using all these computer special effects.

That's kind of interesting, in 50 years or whatever I wounder what action movies with a lot of stunts will be like... probobly ALL computer done, hmph.....

i saw the move two days ago and i say that 20 minutes at teh end was all worthless crap and was not really needed

come on te movie i went to was at 9:20 and we got outta the movie at 1:00 geez tahts a long a** time

PS: they should try making hte hobbit

LOL, Golum's Magical Adventures : Golum finds a fish, he eats it,spends the next couple hundred years talking to the ring. THE END!

Hes the saddest character ever, if anyone made a movie about him, it should be burned up and thrown into a tar pit. He doesnt have any adventures, he just lives in a smelly cave and talks to the ring, oh yes, what an exciting movie.

Also, what did you expect them to do about the Army of the Dead, it's in the book, should they have left it out? You know the orcs just magically sit there and die?

Now stop talking badly about the best movie of all time.

Sauron got punked because he thought he was invincible... what more is there to it?

I read the books and I never heard anyone say the Witch King was actually invincible, I might have missed it.

But it looks like he wasn't, to bad for him.

PS: they should try making hte hobbit

AP: There's a lot of curiosity now about whether anyone will film Tolkien's prequel, "The Hobbit." Are you interested in directing that someday?

JACKSON: I'd be happy to. It would be strange for somebody else to do it. And I also think to do justice to "The Hobbit" it would be great to bring some of the same actors back. (Like Ian McKellen for the wizard Gandalf and Andy Serkis for the ghoulish Gollum.) I think it would be cool thing to have the continuity of the design and the look and feel of the world and use whatever actors we're able to repeat in the story.

AP: Any movement on that project?

JACKSON: New Line hasn't talked to me about it yet. I can only assume they're motivated to do it now, but the rights are kind of complicated.

Click for full article