How's the Atmosphere in Trop II?

Fatty

To our beloved pubbers:

What's it like lately? I'm sold on UT, but right now I'm staring at a full Trop II and I'd like to get some feedback from people.

I've heard a few rumors of widespread (meaning pretty common, daily, etc) attitude, both the 1) "you suck" (but in perhaps more subtle terms, and the 2) he's cheating complaints (you know, anywhere from the "no way" everytime someone dies, or the constant finger pointing)

I've not seen anyone being banned for hacking...are we just not banning? I've also not seen many bans for attitude...so are these whispers false or are the symptoms being tolerated?

Tell me how it's going in there, what's your personal impressions? Anything we can do to make the atmosphere better?

Seriously replies only, please.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

I haven't gone in very often recently (and admittingly, usually for very short spurts if/when I do). The only thing I've noticed/been annoyed by is admins not responding to questions asked by a lot of people, which has caused some frustration (questions varrying from "Can we get a map change" to "Why's the gravity weird" etc.. (and no, not always asked by me :P).

Hasn't seemed that bad to me, although it's not as good as per say, a year ago.

The good

I think a lot of players enjoy coming to our server because we have all played on other servers with all the trash talking, tk'ing, yelling, and over all poor game play environment.

I enjoy the regulars who can come in and play and have fun. They don't take things to serious, and it seems their main objective is to have fun. I can think of several players like this, and they always get the benefit of the doubt, and I always take their map suggestions seriously. Couple of players I think fit into this role have to be Nyx, Jiffy, any a few others I cant think of right now... but their are several people that like that.

Even before I joined Mmmm, I enjoyed playing on their server, one of the great things was that their were often admins on the server. Also the fun plugins and the great variety of maps available.

The bad

I'm tired of the regulars who have played here for a while, and are average players, and now all of the sudden (over night) are super star players. It's pretty obvious who these players are and most of the admins know it to. I accually seen one of our regulars join that club this week. (no names, cause it aint worth the drama)

Opposite to what I said about regulars who join to have fun, are the players who complain about every death even when they are dominating. I've seen some real nice players turn to whiny little kids, and I lose a lot of respect for them, and they do not get the benefit of the doubt from me. I will never publically call someone out on this in here or in server, but if your getting lots of warnings from me...its a good bet you fit into this role.

Agree or disagree, this is what I think of the atmosphere. I know we can't do much about the cheats, but I'm sure some of you could certainly change the way you play on our server.

:peace:

(edited)

Lots of map changes without any votes at all, had some of my binds changed too which took me forever to figure out how easy it is to change em back. All a little annoying so I tend to play less on trop II.

All for fun on the server but the thing i liked best about trop was the level of competition and being able to play without a lot of bs from newer players with all the regulars

As to regulars being "better" now , I'm pretty sure because the level of play is a bit lower then it use to be. I really don't think i've seen anyone remotley cheating that is a regular. and to regulars with bad attitudes, it's the same ones i've always thought have had terrible attitudes and got away with more then they should have..

Edited by AceMcbanon

I think the ATMOSPHERE is good.

But the server itself is dying.

If you are staring at a full Trop II you are staring at a miracle.

For Tropolis i had to wait pike 3-7 minutes before i could get in cause it was always full. Trop II....Im surprised and happy if i see more than 7 people there. The max ive seen in a month has been around 15...

The reason the atmosphere is so good. Is because the majority of the people who go on the server now are regulars only. Last time i joined the server the players were

Lunk, JB55, Seph, Sted, and like 2 more regulars whom i forget. These guys know the rules of the server, they play there all the time. Thus, the atmosphere is great while playing with them. But the rounds are either really short or really long as either all die in a rush, or two of them 1v1 each other for 2 minutes...

I dont know what to do to solve this, but its clear that trop isnt what it used to be. As ilook at the server now. 12:20...0/21 cs_italy....

<shrug>

I have to agree with Linch for the most part... Trop is still Trop, and imo fine when admins are around.

But I find myself hesitating to play there anymore when someone like Lunk or Linch or the like aren't on server. Someone whom I know has admin and will use it appropriately. I'm not referring to what some have been calling "admin abuse" lol I take my rebinds and such just like everyone else and I just think it's funny. So no complaints here on that front. I'm talking about the fact that the trop has gone lax... Massive tude, cursing, and good lord the hacking, from regs and newbs alike. No names obviously, like Linch said, the drama isn't worth it. I've always liked the Trop for it's environment, whether I'm owning or getting owned. It's the only place I play anymore, but unless someone like Lunk is around to babysit everybody (which I KNOW he gets tired of doing), it degrades and just isn't any fun. There are people now that when I join the server, I make an inward sigh, because I know there's gonna be tude, or whining, or complaining. (Or just mad style hacking) And I find myself drifting from the Trop, and from Counter-Strike as a whole consequently.

I hope this can change personally. I'm tired of dealing with bad attitudes, complainers, or hackers... Eventually it just puts ME in a bad mood and then I just leave because it's not fun to play anymore. I'd like to see Trop come back to it's former glory, but I don't know if that's possible. Also as was mentioned, the numbers are dropping rapidly. A full server is a minor miracle indeed.

I've been playing quite a bit surprisingly, must be too much time on my hands being out of school and all. I've seen a few bad attitudes but they have never really bothered me so I just shrug it off.

The most full I've seen Trop II is probably on dust2, and even then I think I've only seen it full once. Either way is fine with me, I enjoy the smaller games 4v4, 5v5, 6v6...

The only problem I've seen is getting a few people in there. Nobody wants to sit in an empty server for 10 minutes running around shooting walls and planting the bomb for no reason. But, depending on the map, once 2 or 3 people get in there, it seems to attract a few people rather quickly.

Linch was talking about some people cheating, and he may very well be right, but I haven't seen much of what he's been talking about. I'm not denying what he says is true, but I might have seen 1 or 2 people cheating in a while.

This is all I can think of right now.

GC Founder

Trop II doesn't have the same level tier of network that we did when she was at GameDaemons. To me, my analogy are fingers that stretch out to different major networks...GD's network has more..more people see the good ping, which naturally will attract more.

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming.

my only real complaint about it is the attitude that alot of people have that playing competitively and seriously means you aren't having fun...

I'm one of those players that wants to win and wants to do it through teamwork and comunication...but all too often on Trop lately the attitude seems to be that if I want to be serious then I'm not having fun so I should just leave.

and I don't think Linch was calling people cheaters...I'm pretty sure he was talking about regulars who have become prima-donna's....notice he said "superstars"...I don't think he means skill wise, I think he means attitude wise.

oh, another sorta thing I don't like...there still seems to be quite a bit of...not team "stacking" more like team "staying"...y'know when like the T's have won 7 rounds straight and not a single T has a negative score and the CT's haven't won a single round and not one of them has a positive score...and yet the game keeps going like that for another 10 rounds...

I honestly like the skunk rule...7-0, 11-2 or 15-4 and the map changes...

plus I wish there was a larger variety of regular maps played...it's a pretty good rut of dust2, dust, aztec and inferno...and sometimes cobble...

what happened to prodigy, nuke, piranesi, storm, vertigo, militia, italy, train, torn, ESTATE!!!

every time a vote comes up for one of those maps there are bound to be people that complain...but honestly I think that if those maps were in the rotation more, people would enjoy them more...because the maps aren't what make the games good...it's the gameplay and the teamwork that makes Counter-strike such a fun game...and the DAD/Inferno rut just adds to the monotony of a 4 year old game

GC Founder
But the server itself is dying.

Actually, if you're comparing the old trop to Trop II, then of course it took a hit. But dying...

I'm not sure Trop II is on a decline...however a slow incline after the wake of the move. Summer is coming for school-age kids, which will increase traffic.

I wish I still had the ugly server status thing on trop...cause right now I can't get any info on the details.

Last night I was a packed house in TII, although it sounds as if it died at midnight.

Last night I was a packed house in TII, although it sounds as if it died at midnight.

when I was on at about 10:30pm central there were 10 people on...then the map switched to scoutsknivez and all but 3 dropped...the server may have picked back up but I don't know cause I dropped cause of scouts too and I didn't watch it after that.

havnt had the time to play much on trop recently, but the times that i did, it was fine. The occasional whiners/campers get me mad, but you just have to deal with it.

And Playaa you may like those maps as well with other its just that the people coming from the outside (not in the community) just want the same old dust2, aztec, dust. I dont even remeber having a full server for vertigo when it was the old trop. ;) And Estate is eithier a map you really like or really hate. I personally hate it, but thats just me.

:)

GC Founder

when I was on at about 10:30pm central there were 10 people on...then the map switched to scoutsknivez and all but 3 dropped...the server may have picked back up but I don't know cause I dropped cause of scouts too and I didn't watch it after that.

lol, i typed was for saw...nice

At any rate, I saw 20/21 (which is full) and it wasn't a lame map!

Anyways, I ran the stats just now (we're working on getting these automated)...here they are for the server:

http://www.gamrs.co/cs/stats/srvstats.html

I definitely don't see a decline there, as I was guessing....there's a slow increase. We'll see!

Keep the feedback coming please!

linch <3 me! :hug::wavey:

I have been playing more and more cs lately and more often than not it is on Trop. I think the atmosphere is pretty good but not quite up to par. I enjoy playing with regulars, people i have gotten to know somewhat over the past year to 2years. Although i have met some new people, and most of which are quite pleasant and entertaining, some just dont cut it. There are just some clans that i dont trust not enjoy having around, and as linch said, naming will only cause drama :twitch: .

The server is still the best i have ever played on, i have found maybe 2-3 others, that has the level of standards. It is always nice to have a friendly admin around who obeys the rules but still has fun. After all, it is a game...

In short, the server is doing fine, but could use a lil tweak, maybe show the rules enforced a little stricter, im not sure, but something should be done before it begins to go downhill and lose appeal.

my 2 and a half cents.

I think one thing that could bring up a bit of reg play...some more tourneys like we used to have with Deadlock (and maybe the revival of MCC?)

but those Deadlock tourneys were a BLAST and gave us regs who DIDN'T get a chance to play in anything but pubs a chance to play on a semi-competitive level

I have played in the server quite a bit lately. Seems like the old great place to play. Sometimes I will joke around with everyone and generally have a good time. Other times I just go about my business and relieve a little stress (and create more when stink the joint up). But my experiences have been great. You will always have the guys trying to own the entire world... I can usually just let them go and not let it bother me...

In fact, I have taken it as my mission in life to give them fulfillment in the CS world. I go about spreading good cheer by sacrifically offering my life (not to mention the mission of my team) up and bringing sadistic smiles to little kids who frequent TropolisII

GC Founder

Rev, you are truly the man!

On a note so positive note, this came in via PM to me, and is an honest post. I've change even the alias....

I'll tell you this here because no one else seems to listen to me on these forums anyway. The thing I noticed really was when non-regs come in and they do terrible people seem to taunt them. I came in once on my regular name and people seemed to be cool with me even though they can be annoying but I just ignore them and talk to Lunk or Linch most of the time.

Then I came in as xyz on scoutzknivez just to fool around and stuff and there were two people on my team that had a positive score. Someone HAD to say over voicecomm about that and then the person replied "Well, xyz doesn't really count because he sucks." I mean, if it's this bad of an environment that a new person can't play and have fun without being made fun of it's not cool. I personally love the new people who come on because they're not jerks.

So I hope I helped you out with this feedback.

GC Founder
I think the atmosphere is pretty good but not quite up to par.

Is this it in one sentence? I think so.

PS. Yes, Deadlock was fun to manage due to excitement and darn fun to play in. That very well could have been our peek as a CS community.

I loved those deadlock tournaments.

I suppose i misspoke when i said the server was "dieing"

I suppose i meant compared to Trop I its connection attemps were just far lower.

I played in Trop when i wanted to screw around in a huge 10 on 10 game and just have fun and chat it up with everyone. I played 5v5 serious play in scrims or matches. So i suppose my opinion on how the server is doing is a bit biased because it doesnt have the same appeal that it used to for me.

However i think Jiffy hit the nail on the head. The atmosphere is good but not as good as it should be. We can work it up but I think one of the important factors is the floundering number of admins who play CS.

When Lunk, Linch, Bigshaw and others are around everything runs rather smoothly. Unfortunatly, many of you have moved onto other game (aka. CoD, UT2k4) . So when they arnt there, which is rather often. Things can get a bit nasty. Perhaps granting admin rights to .gc members who play cs, or regulars, might be an interesting step.

GC members do have admin, that is what is part of the price i believe. Or facehole just stole the pw or something ;)

I would love to get in some tourny's with reg's. Anything is fun with you guys, and competitive style game play is always good! Hopefully somone can set something up!

GC Founder
GC members do have admin

The members of GC that are admins do, yes. Those that see it worth a small investment get admin. Sure, we could use more admins. Apply within. We've not turned anyone down yet.

Things have changed.

There are fewer admins on.

To many peeps are now becoming statwhores

Ignoring objectives

And the camping Wow :o

So lately, I find myself pulling further & further away from Trop. I'm losing the fun & enjoyment of playing. Simply because I feel like all I do while in there is babysit. People are pushing the envelope on things they say. And when you take them to task on it. They scream "Admin Abuse".

Which in turn puts me in a negative mood. And I don't feel like saying "Nice Shot" when someone puts it to me. Instead I complain about it. And I don't like to play like that. I would much rather be in there having fun.

To correct this. It's going to take everyone that plays there to turn it around. This is NOT just the admins responsibility. It also will take Regulars stepping up and being the example.

Admins: We need more to step up and put more time in on Trop. We built it they came. Now we have to maintain it. A couple of us can't do it alone.

(edited)

I wont name names but here goes. I haven't been back to trop since the following incident:

Dust2, I was on T. The teams were 8 T and 12 CT or something along those lines. The T's were getting murdered. The one admin was on CT. As T, the majority of us camped along the spawn area of D2 guarding long A door entrance and middle. Of course the majority of the T's died and I was left at spawn and I was trying to pick off as many as I could. I managed to kill 4-5 CT then I was admin slayed. I was told not to spawncamp. Interesting that the teams were 8-12, my team was getting murdered and I was somehow guilty of malicious spawncamping. I let it go anyways. What can I do anyways, I'm just a pubber at this point.

3 rounds later, the teams are still uneven at 9-11. My team and I rush long A only to get slaughted. I manage to run back out the double doors with my teammate who had the bomb and headed towards B through middle tunnels. I decided to run through spawn to go to B. I ran into two CT at T spawn and I shot them both with an AWP. I was then admin slayed again. Admin told me not to spawncamp. Interesting once again. I just left. And I haven't been back. Sorry guys, maybe I'm the bad apple. Enough of you seem to praise the admin work on Trop so it really does have to be me that is the guy that has to go.

Oh yeah, on a separate incident, the admin was on a heavily undermanned team on one map. The teams were stacked on the opposite side by both numbers and skill. I was on the losing side along with the admin. The admin slayed a few of the opposing team, forcing them to come over...but only when there were 90 seconds left on the map.

The map changes to the next map. This time, the admin is on the side that is doing the slaughtering against an outskilled and outnumbered opposing team. When the opposing team asked to even the teams, the admin simply responded "I was on the losing team all last map. I'm not moving over there".

Edited by DJ Premier