College

Jiffy

Its that time for wee lil jiffeh to begin thinking about school after High School.

I took the ACT's twice, and recieved the same score, bah! ( wish i hadnt fallen asleep for the english test, would got much higher lol! ) i managed to receive a 29 both times. Now what to do with my life?

I have an interest in architecture/engineering, which i will most likely pursue in. I also was contemplating journalism, but am leaning away from it because of earnings and the likes.

I have played soccer since i was 5, and was kind of hoping to continue it further into college, and get some money for school with it. My only problem is schools with both, soccer, and major i desire, and affordible. o0o I really only want to play Div 1 soccer, none of that club stuff, kinda below me :unsure:

So far i have 3 or so schools picked out, all of which i will be visiting in the near future.

University of Illinois, Northern Illinois, Michigan State and maybe Eastern Illinois, or some schools in WI, such as white water.

any other schools people know of? good? not OVERLY pricey. I live in Chicago, so anything midwest is probably a safe bet.

kind of all depends on if i get soccer scholarship or not.

any ideas? words of wisdom from those who have done such journeys?

thanks. :wavey:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go to each of the school you are interested in and walk around the campus, check it out, and find a party on a weekend for each school. Do this for each school and the choice will be clear. ^_^

I hung out up at MSU 2 summer ago for a week, was really fun times. Good luck.

LOL, wow Jiff, hearing your story is like repeating my life....lmao. I had the same delima coming out of high school, cept I only scored a 28 on the ACT. Had a partial academic scollership offered to a Div. 3 school but after that I was still gonna have to pay $12,000 a year to go to school there. Had a full ride to a NAIA school, but they didn't have an engineering program. So....I ended up going to the hometown school (Univ. of Tennessee....Go VOLS) and getting my degree in Civil Engineering. All they had was a club team, and from what I experienced with this club team, you really don't wanna play for them if they are indicative of all club teams....jerks is all I'm gonna say.

My only advice is go where you can get your degree. I'm fat and aging now and really glad I decided to go where I could get my engineering degree. Sure I miss competitive soccer, but I still play indoor with my friends. In the long run, unless you are super good at soccer, you are better of with your degree.

thx BGB, hopefully i wont get old, but prolly fat ;)

i am going to visit them soon, so hopefully that will help me out with my decision making.

you enjoy your job? what is it? jw, kinda help me decide what fields and such i want to dive into.

At them moment I'm working in the environmental field. I am part of the clean up at the old Rocky Flats Nuclear Facility. It has been decommissioned and we are cleaning up all of the nuclear waste and knocking down all the buildings. The site will eventually be turned into a wildlife refuge.

I really enjoy my job. Although, its not what I set out for in college. I concentrated on the structural side of civil engineering. Sounds kinda like your thoughts if you are wanting to do Arch/Engineering. I have had a little trouble getting into an actual engineering position though. Market is kinda tight at the moment actually. If I may suggest, take an internship while in college. Its delays graduation an extra semester, but the experience and the foot in the door is totally worth it. Plus you earn pretty darn good money doing it usually!!! I wish I had done this. All of my friends who did had offers from those companies when they graduated and didn't have to send out thousands of resumes like I did.

If you have questions about engineering or what not, feel free to pm me or aim me any time. I'd be glad to answer them.

Wow, BGB sounds just like me too.

I went to Texas A&M School of Engineering. It is ranked pretty high for engineerint (Tier II maybe?).

At any rate, I drew my college experience out a little too long, but had a blast. I played club soccer (no school team :( ) with the guys that represented A&M my freshman year.

I found that between school and work, I was WAY too busy to play soccer too, made me sad.

Still, my degree is really paying dividends now.

My advice, keep your eye on the goal...a degree that provides you with enjoyment and is also marketable.

This includes the school too!

GL mang!

(edited)

Do something you like doing. I've finished 4 years of college and plan on getting my computer science:networking degree next year. I dont like to program that much but for some reason I like networking. I'd like to become a network engineer and design company networks from the ground up. Possibly after being in the field for a number of years, i could start my own business. I really doubt ill be lucky enough to go into what i really want to do though, but thats what im shooting for.

Edited by NOFX

hmm sounds good. i am nub, but how do you get into an intern thing? i would love to do that, anything that helps!

i am sure i will have questions the closer i get to it, and i will make sure to pm you. thanks bgb, and the rest ;)

theres not really a way of explaining how to get an internship. You just have to look for one. My school has a program that helps you find one and build a resume and apply. I was called back for a non-paying internship this summer, but couldnt do it because of work and summer classes.

Michigan State is a great school Jiffy. They have some amazing parties as well and everything around the campus is within walking distance....except for some of the bars. I live very close so I have been to a number of the party areas and all of the bars...

As to after college - I would worry more about that as it nears. Many people end up in careers they never knew of when they were in college. The important thing is to get the degree since that will open many doors by itself, no matter the field. I still have not gotten mine (17 year plan) and have managed to be pretty successful but that is the exception to the rule for the most part.

My advice on MSU or any out-of-state school is to move to the state 6 months early, if possible, or get a mailing address in the state 6 months before school so you can get In-State prices. I believe Michigan is a 6-month residency state, like most of them out there.

Also - MSU has one of the best, if not the best, Turf Management programs in the country. If you graduate from there in that program you can get a job as a greenskeeper almost anywhere in the country.....and play golf for free hehe.

I start at the university of central florida next month and am going to be majoring in athletic training/sports medicine. I would suggest going to a instate public school since its alot cheaper, but which ever school you choose you can end up having a great time.

University of Illinois, Northern Illinois, Michigan State and maybe Eastern Illinois, or some schools in WI, such as white water.

Go Eastern ;) Girls/guys ratio is 3 to 1 no joke =)

Ever consider University of Wisconsin (Madison)?  GREAT engineering school, among other things.  Beautiful campus, lots of stuff to do, etc.  Might not be a bargain if you don't live in Wi, though.

IL has reciprocity with WI? Or is that MN? Another thing. When I'm at University of Wisconsin Whitewater people are like, "lets go to state street in Madison". I sit there and go ugh. It's not that great since I have lived there for 19 years :) (well.. not ON state street but yeah you get my drift)

Ever consider University of Wisconsin (Madison)?  GREAT engineering school, among other things.  Beautiful campus, lots of stuff to do, etc.  Might not be a bargain if you don't live in Wi, though.

IL has reciprocity with WI? Or is that MN? Another thing. When I'm at University of Wisconsin Whitewater people are like, "lets go to state street in Madison". I sit there and go ugh. It's not that great since I have lived there for 19 years :) (well.. not ON state street but yeah you get my drift)

MN and WI have reciprocity. NOT IL. I wish IL did... Oh and state street in Madison is LAME. Im from Chicago so after being around Michigan Ave all my life, State Street in Madison looked like a dump. Heck, even Chicago's State Street is more interesting. :lol:

DO NOT GO TO georgia tech

it might be one of the top tech schools but the girl:guy = 1:4

this opinion might be slightly biased since i got to UGA

but from the tranfers we get, ga tech sucks your will to live

My only advice is get a degree in something technical, so that you can make a living. Don't get a journalism, history, liberal arts degree because you're gonna be managing McDonalds for the rest of your life if you do.

Get an nice technical degree so you can make $$$. I'm 2 years out of college and make way more than my dad (with an engineering degree). =)

Jiff -

Has to be a stree address, or residence. Any family or friends in MI you can use? If you have them in Wis then that may be the thing to do, use that as your address and go get a driver's license now and apply for in-state and see what they say, you may have to pay out-of-state for the first semester and then move to in-state tuition after that.

As far as the degree....Just make sure to get one. I would NOT get an IT degree just because most schools are still 6months to a year behind the marketplace, at a minimum, so you have to cahs or lots of personal time getting to know the new stuff yourself. For many people the job you will have 5 years after college has nothing to do with your degree. I personally think a degree is a waste of good money, you will learn much more in the 4-5 years working but our society and marketplace almost demand a degree in order to advance and succeed.