GC PRESENTS: You Be the Doctor IV*STORY COMPLETED*

Fatty

Guest Squish
Guest Squish
Guest Squish
Guests

driving a convertible with no seat belt, tossed out of vehicle upon impact, struck a telephone pole in mid-air going about 45 mph.

GC Founder

Ok, before we "drive" this topic all the way into the ground, I'll share the story, and the pictures....

Very good friend, Dean, and I are out one night driving around fast in his car. He's driving, we're sober, just out cruisin. Dean is was a co-captain with my on the high school football team, we made our senior year film appreciation movie together (he killed me in it, how ironic), and were just tight for life.

We began the night by jumping a very steep set of railroad tracks. If you've ever been in a car and had all 4 wheels off the ground, well, then you know the feeling. It's quite intense. The floating sensation as the engine whines because Dean's too nervous to move his foot....followed by the impact which felt like every part of the car touched the ground all at once. A slight bounce, enough slip and slide to bring your stomach into your throat, then the control resumes and the coasting back down to speed....and you look at each other and you can read it in the face that smiles back at you....and you know what that look means..."again!" We went back and forth about 6 times total until we'd had enough.

Needless to say, and this point we have our seatbelts on. We head further away from home on a country road, just cruisin and talkin...well, the yappin got us in trouble, because as we're talkin, his foots heavy and we both miss a sign that indicates an S curve in the road and a 10 MPH warning that goes with it.

When we realized what was coming, he locked em up and tried to take the left turn on the inside. Going over 90 with only about 50 feet left, there really was no chance to make a turn. I remember the brush coming close.

Then a flash of shattered glass.

Then I was standing outside the car, in the middle of a field, looking at the hazzards blinking on and off....on and off in an erie sort of way. I looked at Dean, but could only see him standing there everytime he was coated with the pale yellow light of the flashing hazzards.

Dazed and confused, we turn to walk toward a farmhouse with lights on outside. I can't walk very straight, and Dean is holding me up. We finally make it to the house, but nobody answers. Another house across the street looks promising, but after a 100 yard stumble up the driveway, followed by dogs barking loudly inside, nobody answers. It's 3 AM, where is everyone?

Then the light across the street at the first house goes on. Dean notes this, but I tell him that I just don't have the energy, and that he needs to get there and call for help. I sit down. Something, however, tells me to get back up. I recognize that I have injured my head...I'm so, so tired, and all I can hear in my mind are the reminders about people with concussions and how they can't go to sleep. I drag my feet and follow well behind Dean to the first house.

When I finally arrive, Dean is already inside and on the phone. An old lady comes to the door and lets out a small scream when she sees me. "That bad?" I ask her? I think it's just now that I realize I can only see out of one eye. I touch my face with my hand....it just doesn't feel right. I wipe my hand on my shirt as she lets me in.

I realize that Dean is on the phone with his Dad. As I sit down at the table, I mutter, "Dean, look at me..get off the phone with your Dad...call the <censored> ambulance." I then lay my head on my arms at the table, but continue to fight sleep.

Hope fills me as I hear Dean talking to the operator who answers his 911 call. However, I quickly begin to despair as Dean asks the old people what their address is....and they don't know. With quick thinking, however, Dean starts tossing through papers. I can hear them flying around and I know he's looking for mail. What seemed to be minutes was probably only 20 seconds, and I hear him reading off the address. "Oh sure, Valley City...we're not far from home," I think to myself.

I then feel Dean's hand on my shoulder as he tells me they're on their way. Within minutes I hear the sirens and relief begins to fill me and I assure myself that if I can only stay awake until the medics get there, then of course they'll take care of me.

Soon, Dean and I are laying side by side, sirens blaring as we ride back the way we came. Dean holds my hand and tells me how sorry he is. He probably feels horrible just looking at me...I can tell I'm a mess because my face feels 4 feet wide. I tell him it's ok and crack a smile. We're safe now.

-----

X-rays revealed a 4 inch crack in my skull and two broken bones in my neck. Numerous lacerations on my face, including some with glass that still needed removed, were very numerous. We concluded that I personally was responsible for my window with my head, but who knows how many times my head hit what.

Dean had a sore nose cause he bent the stearing wheel with it.

With a neck brace on, I am soon cleared by my family doctor. However, something, and I have no clue what, tells me it's not all over. To this day I can't tell you what made me ask my mother to take me to Cleveland...to Metro Health Center, where I would visit a neurosurgeon. It's probably the most chilling part of the story because I could only thank God that I went. After a catscan, I was informed that I had an epidural hemetoma (sp?)...I was bleeding in my head, and the blood was trapped under my skull...which is bad. Too much pressure and it's lights out.

The doctor told me to come back tomorrow, at which point they scan me again. If it was the same or larger (the clotting of blood) then my head would be opened up to relieve the pressure. Good ending, however...the clot immediately was shrinking and draining...on it's own.

I'll have you note the top picture up there again. I had NO damage to or around my eye at all. All you see there is the blood from my head injury draining down and into the place with least resistance. My eyelid was only acting as a bag to catch blood that was running down from above. Freaky. It would really gross people out when I'd grab that eyelid with a few fingers and lift it up so I could see you with my right eye.

The crash was May 22, 1991. By the fall, I was cleared to play football during my sophmore year off college. (Yea, that was all great until I broke a bone in my hand, but that's another sad story).

------

The crash itself:

Going back to the scene was very, well, strange. From the wreckage, you can see that we flipped and/or bounced 5 different times. Initially we went up into the air and landed on the back bumper, which propelled us forward and over. Each time we hit, we left metal and glass and plastic. The collections of debris and their distances apart were probably the most frightening part about the scene.

Those seatbelts saved our lives. The entire back seat was thrown from the car. It was a mess.

----

Btw, after we landed and came to rest, I was in the car, hunched over my seatbelt. When I moaned or something and Dean realized I was still there, he decided to help me out my window. Bad idea...although I didn't suffer anything from it, you probably know not to move people if they're seriously hurt or possibly could have neck injuries. Luckily this did nothing to me.

----

Below, I visit the car at the junk yard with Dean, his mom, and his sister.

Glad I'm here to share this story with you. Put your seatbelt on and drive safely, because I was lucky. Oh, and, check the mullet, baby.

------

mustangcrash_usbycar.jpg

mustangcrash_trunk.jpg

mustangcrash_windshield.jpg

mustangcrash_driversdoor.jpg

mustangcrash_driverview.jpg

mustangcrash_passengerwindow.jpg

mustangcrash_passengerrear.jpg

mustangcrash1.jpg

---

I've told this story countless times, but never put it down in writing. Thanks for listening!

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Wow Fat.. I think it's safe to say that's one of the luckiest stories I've ever heard, as I'm sure you know you could've died in several horrible ways there.. just wow.

The mullet is pretty pro though.

(edited)

Thats what happens when you fall asleep when you have your shirt off with a bunch of guys drinkin bush beer in college... I just want to know what poked you in the eye...

Are you sure you didnt die in that crash?? I mean you could be dreamin if a girl married you...

Edited by Batman

• 5 years later...

agreed.

BTW, anyone else notice that "1nd33d" is now at least 6 years old? So KNOCK IT OFF ALREADY! or just bind "groovy".

Also....similar experience. It started with " I always take this curve at least 60 in my moms car".....we weren't in his mom's car.

After the tire ripped off the wheel and we went through some small trees into a field and somehow ALL made it OK....

We tossed the last couple beer cases into the bushes to wait for the cops etc....

Then went back around 5 am for the beer :)

.... I mean....the beer that was our parents' in the trunk that was entirely legal the whole time....

Oh whatever it was the late 80's...."You gotta 5 o clock shadow and a cool Fatty Mullet....here's your beers man"