WoW Or Hl2?

Sir Shertown Pimp

I can't decide which to get.

I've played Hl2 and its awesome, I really want to get it and enjoy the great mods which are sure to come. CS:S really would be a lot of fun with all you fellars ( even the fat dude), and of course I really am excited for dod:s. I don't want to turn this beautiful game down but its a tough decision.

WoW looks really fun also and I know a TON of people that play it;infact, I'm in a guild devoted to it. I, unlike many others, like blizzard and love their games. The $14.99 a month does seem a little steep though. Its not like I cant afford it, I have a part-time job and I have no expenses, but I don't know if I want to shell out that much cash for it. Time is BIG issue with this one, not that I wouldn't play hl2/mods just as much :-P

I'm a closet nerd with lots of obligations, so I must choose one and only of the two, help me decide people!

Paying monthly for games is absolutely the worst thing god ever created. You get nothing out of it except the satisfaction your character is good and can kill high lvl things. No prizes are awarded.

HL2 > ANY mmorpg.

I have both games and WoW > HL2.

It is not hard to get burned out on HL2 and the most time you will spend on it will be about 4-5 days. Whereas you can play WoW for months. Although you do have the monthly fee it is worth it many times over.

Wow, paying monthly for games. You buy the game for $50 then they want to charge you out the wazoo to play it. $180 a year to play a game. You could have 3 brand new games a year for the cost of that one game. Seems kinda ridiculous to me, but I never really was big into RPG type games. I got bored after the first 5 steps and subsequently 20 battles that came from them. Just depends on what type of game you really like to play I guess.

I have both and definitely WoW > HL2. Not even close in comparison.

Just like soul said you get burned out on HL2 after time yet there is a billion things to do in WoW and the world is amazingly huge. It would take you probably 10 hours to run across the entire world.

How can we even compare HL2 and WoW? WOuldn't it be more appropriate to compare CS:S and WoW, as these are the multiplayer games? HL2 of course is limited. It's a single-player game...you play it, you finish it. That's like comparing a model airplane to a kite. CS:S is HL2 without the strings...brings in the neverending possibilities.

No matter what, though, it's obvious even in the quick replies that you got here that it's an individual decision, an no matter how many times you type it, it could go the other way for the next person.

You mentioned DoD:S. We have a budget that will allow us another server in GC, but we're just sitting, watching, waiting, contemplating. DoD:S could be a go if we have admins to admin it. Big IF.

oranges > apples

but ......

mangos > all fruits/veggies

How can you say that?? Apples are way better than oranges. Apples are better for you than oranges. Oranges are messy, apples are easy to cut/eat. The only thing good about Oranges is orange juice (not including that Sunny D crap!). Apples you can have apple pie (ever have orange pie?...think not). Lets not forget applesauce! .... with porkchops!!! :wub: No contest.

...and you can't bring in mangos... thats like WoW vs HL2 vs Halo2. Ok, im done talking about fruits... im feeling a little weird :o

Edited by linch

TeK

A serious question to all you MMORPG players(EQ/2, WoW, Lineage, city of heroes etc..) Why do you guys choose to pay a monthly fee just to play a video game? Are there rewards given by the game company for you having the best character or is it just bragging rights on dif servers/forums that you play more than them and are the best? Whats the difference between playing with ur friends in CS vs. EQ or WoW? Your right you can't compare, 2 totally dif genres but just use it as a small example. I'm honestly not trying to bash you for paying monthly for a video game its your money, I'm just trying to see some logic behind throwing more money into a game company after you purchase the game already. Please serious answers only.

Last I saw, it was illegal to sell a acct. on ebay after the massive influx of EQ characters being sold and Diablo 2 accts. being sold(Maybe theres forums out there that promote this and you can get money, who knows). I dunno if its changed so if it is I apologize. My favorite series, Final Fantasy, I refused to play 11 because it WAS an MMORPG and I refused to pay monthly for a video game.

*I edited the part bout ebay. Sorry for any problems

Edited by TeK

A serious question to all you MMORPG players(EQ/2, WoW, Lineage, city of heroes etc..)  Why do you guys choose to pay a monthly fee just to play a video game?  Are there rewards given by the game company for you having the best character or is it just bragging rights on dif servers/forums that you play more than them and are the best?  Whats the difference between playing with ur friends in CS vs. EQ or WoW?  Your right you can't compare, 2 totally dif genres but just use it as a small example.  I'm honestly not trying to bash you for paying monthly for a video game its your money, I'm just trying to see some logic behind throwing more money into a game company after you purchase the game already.  Please serious answers only.

Last I checked, it was illegal to sell a acct. on ebay after the massive influx of EQ characters being sold and Diablo 2 accts. being sold(Maybe theres forums out there that promote this and you can get money, who knows).  My favorite series, Final Fantasy, I refused to play 11 because it WAS an MMORPG and I refused to pay monthly for a video game.

Firstly, to my knowledge, these companies have LOST their cases when suing players over ebay selling, so while I despise it, the practice is not illegal at this time.

Secondly, I pay a monthly fee because I just flat out enjoy this type of game. The scale and the sheer volume of people and the diversity of activities you can participate in are what make the game for me. The key difference (for me) between this and counterstrike is that in counterstrike the only thing I can do with my friends is shoot them or have them help me shoot other people. In WoW or whatever, I can go on quests with them, trade with them, explore new areas, or just sit in the bar and have a drink. MMO's are "Social" games more than stressing, tense shoot-everything-that-moves games. You can just spend some time with your online buddies relaxing and having a good time, and then you can go back out and kill some more stuff. So since I enjoy this game type, I do what is necessary to play it. That means paying monthly, and no matter what anyone says about it, no matter how they cry and whine, I'm sorry, but a monthly fee is NECESSARY for these companies to support these games. The scale of the operation is just too great to demand anything less.(Now granted they prolly charge a bit higher than they need but that's another story. The point is, that some percentage of it is necessary.)

Basically to sum it all up, games like WoW and EQ are relaxing games you can play with your friends... Counter-Strike is more... stressing. And I doubt there's a person here who won't admit that. This is just a way to be "social" with those online buddies of yours, without remembering to "check your six" every three seconds. =)

Edited by NyxErinyes

I don't see why all the fps players complain about the fee, I mean you all pay for servers don't you? Basically this is spreading the cost through the entire game community for awesome servers, reliable cheat protection, and FAST content update. Aren't these all things I've read constant complaints about for CS?

and yes I know I was deliberating about the fee but I just had some twisted form of an epiphany :-P

/hypocrite.

Yeah, the server horsepower and administration costs are much higher for an mmorpg, it's not a 16x16 deathmatch in a limited (though growing larger every iteration) world.

If that's the kind of expansive world you want, interacting with all those people and a much larger environment, go ahead and spend the money. Especially if you have no other expenses now, do it while you can afford it. You might not be so lucky with other obligations (family, higher ed., jobs, what-have-you) later. If you don't think you really want to play in that kind of world, ditch it. I really think that's the big question here.

And it looks like this monthly payment model may be shifting to FPS, as well:

http://www.kumawar.com/

I hear it's really good. There's also:

http://www.jointopsthegame.com/default.asp

Which I hear has plenty of "free" (i.e., pay for the game) content and some additional content you can subscribe to. I'm also half expecting something of this model to come over Steam.

*shrug* I'll just buy the games after they're a year or two old and I actually get a computer that'll play them...oh, and money ^_^

As was said above, instead of 20 people on at the same time you get 2000+ in WoW, just on one server. I find CS to be fun but it is not something that keeps my interest longer then 30-45 minutes, some days I will play an hour or two if I am bored. There is almost endless content to WoW that varies and keeps it fresh. You also get customer support in game, server patches and updates on a regular basis and lots of fun.

As to the selling of characters - they cannot stop it at this time. I made quite a bit of cash in EQ buying and selling accounts online. I would buy one, play it a few levels then sell it for a profit. I will probably do the same in WoW as I get gold and items and sell them on several sites to make some cash.