Tax Time

Acid-Flux

Just wondering who does their own taxes.

I've done my own for the past two years, but I am wondering who goes to an accountant. and how much do they charge apx? I am wondering if it's worth doing a little compare. I already completed this years taxes, but I want to see if I can get a better refund from someone else.. (eg. H&R Block)

Comments?

I get to use H&R's online service from work. Let me say that my return was ALOT bigger than I thought it would be last year.

So much so, that I encouraged my fiance (at the time) to use H&R online for hers. She is pretty clever with figures, and her return was alot bigger than she thought it would be too.

I highly recommend the service. It will more than pay for the initial cost. Will yours be complex?

I like Turbo Tax...it has the whole question/answer thing that you go through and fill in the forms. Then your done. It will help you find some extra deductions...nothing like an accountant might but then I don't have many odd deductions to deal with.

it would depend on how your going to file, short form do it yourself, longform might take it to a acct. while back i took the short to h/r and basically helped the guy fumble through the program. its the same as the onlines services for $15

I used Turbo Tax.

Q for M2?

This is a toughie.. I am here in the States on a F1 Visa (student), I dont work, but go to school. And my GF has been supporting me, can she claim me as a dependant? We have lived together for like 2 years, and she pays for everything. (well in the IRS's eyes she does, good 'ol under the table jobies)

Becuase if she can claim me as a dependant, she can get like another $500 in tax back.

Here is a tip!

IF you are going to file through an online website (what I always do), go to www.irs.gov. They are offering free filing through most of these websites. I filed free through H&R Block. Of course I was offered premium service which I declined. If I would have just gone to the H&R site it would have cost me 34.95. I did pay to file my state taxes... 19.95.

They had all the common tax providers in their and many of them had no restrictions such as H&R Block.

I used Turbo Tax.

Q for M2?

This is a toughie.. I am here in the States on a F1 Visa (student), I dont work, but go to school. And my GF has been supporting me, can she claim me as a dependant? We have lived together for like 2 years, and she pays for everything. (well in the IRS's eyes she does, good 'ol under the table jobies)

Becuase if she can claim me as a dependant, she can get like another $500 in tax back.

I asked him and he is going to check but he beleives you cannot do this. I also live in WI so it may be diffrent were you live. I will look for the dependant rules untill my pops can get an answer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest v.7.47
Guest v.7.47
Guest v.7.47
Guests

If you qualify for it, it is free via intuit.com, they use turbo tax.

l8s

v7.47

Edited by v.7.47