Mayhem Mapcycle Discussion

GC Founder

I just added cbble on the cycle. Seems Mayhem is established enough to do this.

Here's the current rotation:

de_dust

cs_italy

de_cbble

cs_office

de_venice

de_dust2

de_aztec

de_train

Standard maps not included in rotation:

piranesi

de_chateau

de_prodigy

de_tides

_compound

We welcome your input.

PS. There's a seperate discussion for Recrudescence in the other forum.

Edited by shep48

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm personally against Prodigy because I feel it's too choked, granted w/o snipers it isn't as bad but I still don't care for the map.

I would like to see Piranesi and Chateau added if everyone feels it's time. I think that chateau is definately open enough and has more options than prodigy.

Oh, and of source I'd like to see Tides :freak:

Standard maps not included in rotation:

de_chateau - Always a fun map to play on, I won't mind seeing it on the scopeless server, lots of action.

de_piranesi - I like this map, but I could pass playing it on a scopeless server

de_prodigy - Personally I think prodigy is a must for the rotation, I would very much like to play this on your scopeless server. It's one of my favorite maps because I'm a very big fan of CQB.

de_tides - a beautiful CQB map. I can understand why some people don't like this map, when I first played it I disliked it greatly.. but then it started to grow on me. I think on a Scopeless server this map would be a lot of fun.

I believe the more variety we have the more fun the server will be. Having alot of maps to play on keeps the game fresh. I have a few questions too... Is there anyway to set the map rotation on random? After playing on your server for a couple weeks now I know the map rotation pretty well, it would be kinda interesting to mix it up..

also, what are your thoughts on changing the map rotation from a set time to a set number of rounds won? i.e. When one team wins 12 rounds the map changes instead of having the map running for 20 minutes (or however long you guys have it run for). Granted this might move through the rotation quicker but it will give, I feel, the teams to pay more attention to how many wins their team is pulling in. Plus if one team is really doing poorly then the map can be moved through quicker then having to wait till the time is up. Also.. it would be interesting to give the winning team (first team to reach 12 rounds won) some sort of reward.. like maybe the ability to pick the next map? Just some ideas that popped into my head.

Mainly I would like to see Prodigy in the rotation: I love that map.

edited to further reflect my opinion: In Javabomberman's post below mine he mentions that he despises de_Aztec. I have to agree with him. It's the one map in the rotation that makes me quit the server to work on my homework.... so maybe in that respect it's good, but as a map, I greatly dislike it. I don't know why, it is an illogical hate.

Edited by cobaltgrc

Throw my vote on for prodigy. I very much enjoy that map, and without scopes, that ct hall will be more of a firefight and less of a standoff. I would enjoy that.

also, I must make a request. I truly despise aztec. this is just my opinion. I'm not even convinced that it's unbalanced, because I've seen both sides do well. I simply... hate it. I can't explain it. so anyways, that's just my vote. if anyone feels the same, please speak up. if not, so be it.

I hate aztec and office, but we cant get rid of everything, aztec i can still stomach, but office, I will quit just about every time unless for example tonight, fatty was playing and he doesnt play much, so i hung out for the fun, other than that, i'm out.

lolololol, i wasnt complaining really, I was making a point that we have to play some of the popular maps even if we hate them, just to keep things alive, which for me is aztec. Office I really dis-like, but since i play aztec against my will, I feel ok about dropping out of office.

Just saying we need to take one for the team now and then, sorry if it came off wrong.

Exception being Tides, I will NOT play that piece of,.... well,... that unpleasant map.

Piransi would be great, but I think that map would really benefit from allowing the semi-scoped weapons. Even without though, it's presence would be nice.

Prodigy (if it's the map where the terrorists spawn in a room with a traincar) would be a nice addition. I like the vents - they remind me of the old beach map in Return to Castle Wolfenstein (which I played a lot, as it was the only good online shooter that my old Celeron 400MHz could play decently).

Office is a map I don't mind, but wouldn't miss if it disappeared.

Aztec, on the other hand, is a must. I love that map - it's the only dust-like map that isn't dust. Even if I suck at it. :laugh:

Tides is nice to look at, but that's about it. I guess it can stay on the mapvote list if someone really wants to play it. (Speaking of which, why is mapvote only on once in a while?)

Now what we really need are more maps with the "funpower" of dust2. That map is awesome. :thumbsup:

...and what possible use could this smily have?

--> 0o0

It's downright creepy. :blink2:

Variety is the spice of life. I say you throw all the maps on the server and check your stats over a few weeks to see which ones kill the server every day. Give it a week or two for people to figure it all out, and then modify the rotation accordingly.

My experience with the maps is rather limited, but I understand that some maps that aren't so fun with AWPS are supercool on scopeless. I'd sure like to see how they all play on this server.

GC Founder

I can tell you exactly which maps hurt traffic, and to what extent. I double as a server stat fanatic. This is the opposite end of that process....reintroducing maps back in so as to maintain a certain level of traffic while attempting to avoid monotony.

i like the way it is personaly! today their gonna add train and compound, so i think both should be thrown in for a while. and if anyone wants to play one of the lesser used maps an admin could always change it, or, it feels like mapvote comes up every third map, so just put all those on it and vote extend and nextmap. it seams like every one votes italy, office, dust, dust 2

GC Founder
personally, i'd rather gouge my eyes out with a potato peeler while playing tides than play nuke. As far as the others go, i guess we'll see how they play.

nuke is a complete classic, a fine map...a good map that newbs always stray from and older players enjoy. That said, the last nuke we tried was a bit crazy on the performance side.

if nuke is released officially, it will definitely take its place on both cycles.

personally, i'd rather gouge my eyes out with a potato peeler while playing tides than play nuke. As far as the others go, i guess we'll see how they play.

wow. are you sure you're not thinking of assault?

The group of germans that released de_go_nuke was pretty preformance heavy but I think they just released an updated version to cut down on the preformance strain. I'll check up on that when I've got the time.