Where did you get yours?

whudats

i was DogHorse since first on the net (duke nukem and quake world days)

doghorse was used in the following way

"we lit up a bag of doghorse on the neighbors porch"

thought it was hilarious

needed a change, and wanted to keep it a connection to doghorse, so

i imagined the hybrid of a dog and horse would be a bear like creature

and decided to add the '^' just to keep me different

:D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Gun!!!! That's where "Maverick" came from anyway.

[LaW] was an actual clan, but I did start it. We got that from the first part of my last name, "Lawman" which I thought sounded cool in CS. "I am the LaW!" (Judge Dred)

Maverick has been my gaming name since Duke Nukem 3D and Mechwarrior 2, so I gotta stick with it! It's got me through some tough situations. :-)

Oye.. my handle history is way too long...

I entered the online gaming world at the age of 13 as "Phantom." It was the name I used for a flight combat simulator (anyone remember ATF Gold or Fighters Anthology?) against my junior high arch rival. I carried the name for about 2 or 3 years through the StarCraft era and a little beyond. In high school I changed the name to Starlighter (something I made up and that sounded kinda Star Warsy, being a huge fan at the time) and I use that name even today with members of the clan that I was a part of for the last 6 years.

Three years ago though I finally got bored of the name I'd worn so long and having a penchant for greek mythology, created Nyx Erinyes for my non-clan gaming endeavours. Nyx (pronounced "noox" really but everyone says "nix" and that's find, I could care less and really prefer it at this point.) was the embodiment and the god of Night. The Erinyes ("ee-reen-yeez" most people don't even try to say this one at all and I don't blame them. lol the few that do call me Erin.. lol which is weird at times.) were the Furies who dwelt in Hades and punished the vilest of criminals. So the overall gist of the name is Night Fury, but usually no one knows what it means and I'm just "Nyx, the guy with the funny greek name" and that suits me just fine. =) I've carried the name 3 years now and am pretty well attached to it at this point and its always kinda funny when I'm at any kind of gaming thing and someone yells out "Hey, Nyx!" At this point I'm so used to it I don't even think twice before looking to see who called. So, that's where Nyx Erinyes came from.

Edited by NyxErinyes

About 5 or 6 years ago I was downloading stuff from Mirc.. I would just type in random names like Glitch, litch, linch. I joined Mmmm server around that time and used Linch... completely random.

My last name is Berge, which gives me the spelling that often has people telling me that my nic is spelled wrong.

Way back about 7 or 8 years ago when I was in 9th or 10th grade phy ed, my teacher who was also the varsity football coach and trying to recruit me into football started calling me "Ice" and "Ice_Berge."

I think part of it was that I'm a big guy and was perfect for offensive and defensive line in football. No-one could push past me and then had a helluva time blocking me.

Ever since I've stuck with the name. I have used "Nemesis" from time to time, that was started from Star Trek: Nemesis, but I've gone back to my orig name.

one day i was looking for new name because i had some stupid name, so i looked around the house. My dad is a fanatic about GE-TARS, he has like 12 of them all decked out and has tons on GE-TAR pedels to... one of the pedels was named Captain Coconut... and in my old server there was a kid with Capt. as an abreavation..

so i put 2 and 2 together

to make

Capt.Coconut

NuT- :=:=

Shodan means first level as it associates with marital arts, first level black belt.

I had a couple of major catastrophes in my life and I needed something to focus on. Many choose religion, I chose martial arts.

I worked my butt off for six years to earn "Shodan". My family gave me that name because for the six months prior to that test that is all I would talk about, think about and train toward most of my waking hours.

It was a great day in my life. It was many years ago and several ranks ago but it was a great first step to where I am today.

Using this nick reminds me every day of what can be achieved if a person is willing to work hard and commit to a goal.

I will have to change my Nick soon I guess, I committed to going back to school to get my Phd, well, in another three years I hope to change it. Hmm, Doctor Shodan?

Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guests

Well, I am a volunteer firefighter in my hoemtown of Glastonbury CT. On our firetrucks at company 3 we have the picture of Deputy Dawg on the sides. I liked the nae and picture so thats what I use. Smetimes I go by Dawg which is A) shortened and a name we call our fellow Marines at times, though spelled differently.

Ok we had this topic once but ill tell my name and how i got it again. Since I was 9 years old I been playing counter-strike. Since my name is Jeff and I was a boy I made Jeffeboy. I added the e in there because it looked cooler. Then when I started to get older and I grew into a young adult I shortened my name to Jeffe. I been playing cs with this name ever since and never changed it once in my cs history. I had Jeffeboy, Jeffe, and now I go by J34fe because I think it looks cool. Everyone knows me by Jeffe in the game and when they see me in real life which is really cool. I kinda got the nickname handed to me by all my friends too. I always had everything on the internet as Jeffeboy or Jeffe and now my friends call me Jeffe. So until the day I die I will be Jeffe and there is one and only one Jeffe. Out of all the counter-strike players I am the original Jeffe or Jeffeboy, and dont you forget it! :boing::peace:

Friends, family, and I all got into the original HalfLife mods at the same time. We thought we'd keep it easy to find each other and give ourselves a clan tag and appropriate tags. [DEVO] was chosen for the fine music they make. We just chose names that had DEVO ties: Mr Kamikazi, Mr DNA, Whip It, Mongoloid (I accidentally threw an "o" on the end and it stuck.). Think I'm the only member of that group left, but I've picked up some new DEVOtees since :).

i've played one year as each nogood and violent. (aka violent games research). it was lame so i changed my name for source. i had just finished 'the da vinci code', and was reading up on pagan symbolism. i was born and raised a catholic, but i enjoy taking classes in theology and reading about other religions. i change my name every time i move, so i threw"pagan" out there and never gave it a second thought. its not the best of names, but its short and relatively unused. i used to have a little phi symbol at the end of my name, but it got editted off somewhere.

phigoldX.gif

i dont EXACTLY remember how i came up with my name but im sure it went along the lines of...i wanted a german name cause i took it for four years in highschool. i _thought_ it would be funny to use ich bin ein berliner... but at least once a day i get 'what does ur name mean?' or 'haha, u JFK rip off'. i dont mind it sometimes but it does get annoying i mean, how many people ask what YOUR name means, religiously on a daily basis? i think im going to make a webpage devoted to my name so if anyone asks me any more )%#*ing questions, i can just refer them to my page.

Nothing fancy with my name. Was around the 6th grade time in my life. Was sitting around with friends goofin' off. One of them turned and said "You look like a lunkhead". Shortly there after it got shortened to Lunk. I used this nickname in everyday life up until I got out of the Air Force 11 years ago. After that it kind of faded away until I started playing CS back in '99. And I started using it again for CS.

So, I've had this nickname for about 25 years. :blush:

And if I recall correctly, MrX had the title of "Lunk's Brother" when he went thru high school. He had the same football coaches as me. And he was a few years behind me. So, I guess when he came thru, they just thought of him as another Lunk. :)

Mine is rather simple.

Though I don't idolize Bruce Willas, I do enjoy a good beer after a long work day. While watching Die Hard one day I must have been day deaming about a beer and I came across a good play on words. Thus:

Brew Swillas!!! :biggrin:

I still always wonder who actually catches that pun.

Cool post thread and I am really enjoying reading about your names and where you got them.

Ok, so "Cranky Bullfrog" - what's up with that? (probably what you're thinking - right?)

Well, about three years ago when I was a spritely 49 years old (I'm nearly 52 now), my son NyxErinyes introduced me to Counter Strike. I was strictly a Myst/adventure playing kind of guy up to that point with a little Doom and Unreal angst vented here and there as time and mood allowed.

Well, my first reaction to CS was.... :bang:

Yep - I hated it! Too much "equiping" to do at the start of _every_ round! Also, Nyx knew all the tricks and I didn't - so for many weeks (months?) I was just cannon fodder. Still, somehow, I found the urge to continue.

Well, as time went along, I kind of got the "hang" of it and I started to enjoy playing it a bit more (not quite as much when Nyx was present - too many headshots on poor little slow me) but still, it started to become an addiction.

So, as the addiction grew, I sought a place to play where some of the less enjoyable elements of the game weren't always distracting me away from my first pursuit - skills! I found that haven in the place where Nyx hung out with some buds and they called themselves Steel Maelstrom. They were cool guys and very tolerant of an old fart (who probably should have grown up much earlier). So, with patience, they accepted me into their fold as a regular visitor.

During my time on the SMS server, I made a friend with whom I really enjoyed playing Counter Strike - we just clicked and he had a great sense of humor. His game nick was "Crazy Chicken". I really liked that name because it brought up such a funny image. So, I thought and thought - what kind of goofy name could I adopt that would get "Crazy" laughing. Boom. "Cranky Bullfrog" was born out of that desperate search for a nom de plume. I figured, hey, what goes better with a crazy chicken than some cranky bullfrog? We played a lot together during my early CS years but he went on to other games and I haven't heard from Crazy in a long time.

Anyway, I'll bet that's more than you wanted to know.

I'll probably be "Cranky Bullfrog" the rest of my gaming career. It's weird enough that not too many people are likely to use it and it's funny. Ok... ok... and some days.............. it fits! :boing:

Guest Traiklin
Guest Traiklin
Guest Traiklin
Guests

Mine doesn't have some cool story attatched to it but here goes,

This Girl I used to talk to was reading a book and I mentioned I wanted a new name, something Original that no one else was using (I was going by CoolDude5### I forget all the numbers, it came when I used it for hotmail) so she Mentioned this character from the book, he was a Wizard called Traiklin and I liked it (cause it was a Wizard and it was original) she never told me the book though, she went with the name Sakarah (from the same book).

No one knows how to pronounce the name either (not even me but I have winged it a few times depending on my mood at that time) so it's another Plus to having the name :D

when i was 15 i was working at a diner washing dishes. the bus-boy was my best friend at the time we were in a band called "same as it ever was" then "won nepo"(now open backwards) then it was called "aginst the grain" i played bass. straight edge hardcore music. we liked the kinda rap twist some bands were doing back then (before limp biscuit) so we use to freestyle back in the kitchen to make the day go by quicker, we sucked! but i came up with the name because it rhymed free and i was looking at some chewed up steak.

self explanatory.

although sometimes I like to go by the name "emassacre" as suggested by Norguard for me to have an alias when immature boys keep asking if I am actually a girl.

I like being Console and having the scopeless server bug so my live text name turns yellow, but some admins don't like that.

I always ask people with girl's names if they're girls....am I an immature boy? :boing::boing:

btw, the console thing...could be abused and misused.....not a good idea. Funny, but has bad potential.