Uhhhggggg

Bubblegum Bandit

Well, last night as we were making great time, we had just stopped for dinner when a big red thermometer flashed on my car's LCD and then STOP started flashing in big bold letters. The temperature gage quickly jumped into the red as I hurried to get the car stopped.

I pulled the dip stick for the oil and I was a bit low, but not too much to worry about. Unscrewed the cap on the radiator fluid reservoir and steaming hot fluid just started pouring out. I dumped cold water from our cooler into the reservoir as a couple of guys drove by with their asses up in the air hanging out their car windows. Long gone are the days to stop and help a family stranded on the side of the road I guess. Anyway, so we hopped in the car and made it to the next exit. I went in and bought 6 quarts of oil and 2 gallons of coolant. Refilled everything and sat in the parking lot with the car running to see if we had everything handled. Of course we didn't, after a few minutes the temp gage started to climb again. Luckily there was a hotel across the street, a Holiday Inn Express at that. Being Sunday, we figured we weren't going to find any help at 6 PM, so my wife and daughter enjoyed the pool while I fretted over the fact that I could have done $5000 or more worth of damage to my car engine. I talked to my father-in-law and my step-father and as I looked at the car and we discussed the symptoms my mind was set a little at ease and we had decided it was most likely a hole in one of the hoses or a bad thermostat.

This morning I woke up and walked to a little mom and pop garage we had noticed a few blocks away from the hotel, only to find out that it is no longer in service. So, I figured out that the hotel had wireless and did some research to find the closest garage. Made a call to "Frank" who's shop was about 6 miles from the hotel. He doesn't work on VWs but said if it was just a hose or something he would see if he could help me make something work and put me back on my way. The family all hopped back in the car and proceeded to drive a mile and sit and rest ten minutes in succession until we got to "Frank's" garage. He quickly had me pull it in and one of his techs started snooping around. We all concluded after a bit of searching and removing of annoying plastic covers that the water pump was out. Frank wouldn't even touch it, even if I could get my father-in-law to drive up from Champaign with the parts. He said that he could honestly probably do it, but since he had to mess with the timing belt he just wasn't sure. I appreciated his candor, I really don't want a guy who's not sure what he's doing working on my car.

Anyway, so I had written down the phone number to the nearest VW dealership which would be in Davenport, IA about 30 miles away. I gave them a call, verified that they had the part we would need and then was transfered to the service department who told me that they couldn't even look at the car until Tomorrow NIGHT!!!! Meanwhile, I thought I was done with Frank, but he had gotten on the phone, got me a tow truck and contacted a guy the next town over who COULD do the work. He couldn't get the parts until first thing tomorrow morning, but that was still better than what VW was telling me. Frank even offered to have his wife drive my wife and daughter to the next town if we were weary about not have my daughter in a car seat for the ride there. I repeatedly tried to give Frank money, one for just looking at my car, and two, just for being so helpful. The tow truck couldn't come for a couple of hours so I asked if I could buy him and his guys some lunch but he still wouldn't let me!!! I wish there were more Franks in the world, this guy was great. I plan on sending him something when we get home to repay him for his kindness, I just haven't figured out what yet.

So the car is towed to Geneseo, IL where it is now being torn down by the local car care professionals. The owner came out to talk to me, told me that he ordered EVERY part he could think of that we might need because it takes a whole day to get parts brought in and he didn't want to get into it and find out he needed something else and have us have to wait another day. He promised they were going to open up the car and figure out the extent of the problems and give me a call this evening. He said the parts will be in first thing in the morning and he would have his guys putting them on my ar as soon as they come in the door. He then proceeded to give me a ride in his personal car the mile or two down the road to my hotel!

So, here I sit, in a Super 8 motel with 30 rooms tops. My wife and I laughed as I pulled my laptop out of my bag thinking there is no way this little town of 6000's Super 8 is going to have wireless.....but it does.

We are thankful that the only problem we have is with the car, but man this has been a weird ride home so far. Hopefully it goes a little smoother from here on out... :stretch:

Wow, and Bubblegum wont help a overheating car... Sorry to hear about your troubles man.. Hope work is cool with your car problems, hope they dont get some super efficient temp to take your place till you get back.. :)

Wish you all the best BGB!! Frank seems to be a "stand up fella!!"! Makes you feel good when you hear stories about a people first buisness.

Well...at least you and your family gets to spend more time together. That on its own is priceless.

Praying for your a safe trip home!! :)

Man I hear what you're saying. That's awesome that you found some people so helpfull.

I had a similar, though a little less harrowing, experience a few years back. It was the weekend before finals week of my Sophomore year of College and I was about 1/2 way through my 300 mile trip back to school from m parents place.

While cruising along the interstate about 20 miles south of Wisconsin Dells, my front right tire decided to blow. Fortunately I made it to the side of the road w/o wrecking or taking significant damage to the car. Well I only had the emergency spare (a doughnut tire) which is only rated for 25 or so miles and I had about 150 to go yet. So I called AAA to see if they could tell me if there's somewhere I could go to get a new tire.

Seems they didn't have a clue. What's even better, the lady on the phone couldn't figure out where I was when I told her I was on I-94 at mile Marker 100!? So I had to hazard a guess as to how far south of the Dells I was. She had a tow truck sent out to change my tire. Actually I've done that about a million times, but she said he'd be able to tell me where I could get a tire.

So 45 minutes later he shows up, changes the tire and says I might, emphasis on MIGHT, be able to get one at the Walmart in Baraboo. So I called the parents and let them know where I was headed, they called ahead and their shop had closed 1/2 hr ago, but the lady on the phone had a nephew that worked at the local shop. She gave me his cell and said I could try calling him.

Turns out he was having a dinner with his in-laws but said he'd do what he could to help me. Long story "not-so-short" he came back up and put the new tire on for me and got me back on the road in like 1/2 an hour.

Kinda sad that there's so many ppl out there that wouldn't even think about going a out of their way to help someone. Fortunately there's still people out there who do care though!

Sorry man, didn't mean to hijack your post or nothing, just thought I'd share my story and let you know it's happened to someone else too.

WOW! What a trip you have had. Glad to see you have FINALLY made it home safe and sound. Sheeesh...after the extra $$$ for car repair and hotel rooms - maybe fly next year??

Rest up as I am sure you well deserve it. You and Rashad took some great picts at FF!! :D