AWP: Lame or Skillz?

ephemeral

found this topic on another website. hopefully i wont get sued for plaguerism...oh well. so obviously the awp is one of the most argued over guns in the game. is the awp lame or skillz? some players hate the one shot kill, and say that it doesn't even take skillz to kill with it; even going so far as to say that awps are for...noobs......others argue that being a good awper really does take skillz, and then go around and call the autosnipers noobs...whole different story. so what is your side? i, personally, really like awps...but, noone really cares about me so...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the wrong hands (mine for example) the AWP is about as

useful as a slingshot. I am learning however, and periodically I

get a good (lucky?) shot off. I will sometimes (corectly) be called

a noob at this point, my defense is I'm not going to learn by not using

it! The flip side is there are some people out there that drop

people in their sleep with the AWP. Part of the game. Some of

the aforementioned individuals have been giving me tips on

how to use the gun. Unfortuately I'm always on the wrong end

of the gun when this happens!

too heavy...

To me it's all good and fun once in awhile but it gets to be like being that annoying kid that only uses once move in fighting games...

"Dude, use a new move!"

"But it's the only move that works"

I bet everyone know how frustrating that gets after a while.

I don't always use the TMP... believe it or not. :halo:

Awp... Awp... Awp...

I used to hate the awp when istarted playing on #1.... Maybe cause my first games had luckycharms on the opposing team :D

But... now I kinda like it :hug:

Haha...yeha... Mr Cool... Got me to awp :D

So now i use it whenever I got enough $$$

So

Woo For Mr Cool :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

too heavy...

To me it's all good and fun once in awhile but it gets to be like being that annoying kid that only uses once move in fighting games...

"Dude, use a new move!"

"But it's the only move that works"

I bet everyone know how frustrating that gets after a while.

I don't always use the TMP... believe it or not. :halo:

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the "one move thing". You can tell someone who is in love with the AWP because all of their kills are from the DE and the AWP. Try some other weapons people!

I think the AWP is pretty lame, sure people can be better with it than others, but it's WAY to easy to use. I hate it and only use it when someone on the other team used it and I picked theirs up (too mock them later). It's like afree gun AND free kills. It's almost impossible not to get atleast one kill when you have the AWP.

AWP is skill for sure, although somewhat lame because to anyone with even modest AWP skills it's easier to kill with than almost anything else.

That said all sniper rifles are bull. I'll leave you with this: the sg552 and sg550 are exactly the same weapon, with a different barrel.

Within the context of CS:S, I'd say the AWP is skillz. As kind of an outsider looking in, CS:S appears to be a game of "heh heh, I'm sneakier than you" rather than something like... oh, I dunno... Unreal Tournament where it's more "heh heh, I have better reflexes/fast thinking skills than you".

I prefer the scopeless game myself. For several reasons...

But having just played on the scoped servers a bit recently, I will make this observation. Many, many times I have been on a team that was working well and winning only to reach the point where AWPS became fiscally available. Dust2 is a perfect example and happened just this week with an Mmmm guy I was playing with.

As soon as he was able to get an AWP he sits in his AWP spots while the rest of the T's push toward the objective. Now I completely understand the tactical reasoning... "I'm just spying the middle for you guys" Or "I will gaurd the back way with this thing" or even "The sound of my super sexy SAWP, er AWP will have them cowering in corners". All legit. Yep when I die in the objective zone (i.e. bombsite) and the AWPer is sitting there picking off guys yet ultimately overpowered, I resent his logic.

Thats when the map turns around the the CT's start winning. IMO, its a case of someone wanting kills rather than working as a team.

too be good at the awp requires skill

people that dont like the awp and say its a noob gun and that you can kill so many people so easily with it never pick it up and prove it.

Lets take a look:

2006-01-10 00:50:05 Kill I killed Homey O'Stasis with awp.

2006-01-10 00:49:57 Kill I killed [Mmmm]stuttering.john .gc with awp.

2006-01-10 00:49:01 Kill I killed Cobalt.gc with awp.

2006-01-10 00:48:56 Kill I killed SilentKnight with awp.

2006-01-10 00:48:45 Kill I killed KoLe with awp.

2006-01-10 00:47:38 Kill I killed farmerisme-=GC=- with awp.

2006-01-10 00:47:31 Kill I killed Josua with a headshot from awp.

2006-01-10 00:45:33 Kill I killed [Mmmm]stuttering.john .gc with awp.

2006-01-10 00:40:24 Kill I killed Homey O'Stasis with awp.

2006-01-10 00:40:22 Kill I killed Blue with awp.

2006-01-10 00:40:00 Kill I killed ncc14113.gc with awp.

This is on Aztec as a T NOT camping bridge. Infact, I know not a single one of these kills is from the bridge because there's always someone on the other side that kills me.

11 AWP kills on one map out of my 22.

Lets look at Italy, two maps prior to Aztec.

2006-01-09 23:54:09 Kill I killed MuteMode with awp.

2006-01-09 23:53:54 Kill I killed FoolishMan with awp.

2006-01-09 23:50:10 Kill I killed kris with awp.

2006-01-09 23:47:33 Kill I killed FoolishMan with awp.

2006-01-09 23:47:31 Kill I killed kris with awp.

2006-01-09 23:46:52 Kill I killed kris with a headshot from awp.

2006-01-09 23:46:44 Kill I killed Axeling with awp.

2006-01-09 23:46:20 Kill I killed [Mmmm]stuttering.john .gc with awp.

2006-01-09 23:45:55 Kill I killed Wild Salmon with a headshot from awp.

2006-01-09 23:45:35 Kill I killed FoolishMan with awp.

There's 10 AWP kills out of my 22.

So 21 out of 22 of my AWP kills were all within two hours. The last time i used the AWP before this was my 22nd kill. Before that it was sometime in Mid-December (maybe). Yes, it IS way to easy to use.

not easy to use against someone that knows how to defend it.

sitting back in a pub and picking people off is easy because all you will see in most pubs is people running stupidly around the map.

2006-01-11 00:51:36 Kill I killed Tuttles with ak47.

2006-01-11 00:51:17 Kill I killed [XL] TriGGeR MonKeY with ak47.

2006-01-11 00:51:16 Kill I killed Josua with a headshot from ak47.

2006-01-11 00:51:09 Kill I killed Tibido with ak47.

OMGOSH I killed 4 people in 30 seconds with a AK47 that gun is so noob and easy to kill people with.

There guns! each gun when used how it should be used can be easy/own anyone

If I don’t want to cope with scopes then I play on scopeless.

If I play on #1 then I find the best way to beat the enemy is to use the weapon of the enemy.

Example would be Italy…after about 3 rounds at least 1/3 of the T's will have AWPs. In order to even think about moving up long hall you need to eliminate the AWPers first. So it becomes a game of twitch reactions. Who can put who in who's crosshairs and pull the trigger faster.

The trick to successfully using an AWP is to not be in the front lines. It's a standoff weapon, you're suppose to aim over shoulders, between bodies, and pick off the guys that are firing at your front line troops. You're troops are in effect, meat sheilds.

They can also be used as a defensive standoff weapon. Set up at a bottleneck and wait.

The problem is that I've seen too many people play defensive standoff when they are the ones with the objective (plant, defuse, rescue).

I'll agree with you Con, that a good AWPer is hard to overpower. I've noticed that some people move around in an effort to avoid a close range shot. Take your time, wait till he misses the first time, crouch, and light him up.

AWP is a forgiving weapon (death by getting toe blown off) for the inexperienced and very deadly in the hands of a vet.

Edited by Brillow_Head

2006-01-11 00:51:36  Kill  I killed Tuttles with ak47. 

2006-01-11 00:51:17  Kill  I killed [XL] TriGGeR MonKeY with ak47. 

2006-01-11 00:51:16  Kill  I killed Josua with a headshot from ak47. 

2006-01-11 00:51:09  Kill  I killed Tibido with ak47.

OMGOSH I killed 4 people in 30 seconds with a AK47 that gun is so noob and easy to kill people with.

There guns! each gun when used how it should be used can be easy/own anyone

How many of those people were already damage? If they are full health you HAVE to hit them in the head, unlike the AWP. Alot of the guns don't even kill in one headshot anymore. It is MUCH easier to hit people with the AWP anywhere on the body than it is to hit someone in the head with the AK.

I could go look at my TMP stats and find me killing 4 people in 30 seconds and we all know the TMP isn't overpowered. The TMP also doesn't kill in one hit, it also doesn't have the longest range scope in the game.

not easy to use against someone that knows how to defend it.

sitting back in a pub and picking people off is easy because all you will see in most pubs is people running stupidly around the map.

Isn't 90% of CSS all pub play anyway?

AWP = LAME, thats why I had the idea for scopeless, all fun gaming with no crate camping chumps pickin you off from a mile away padding thier stats :freak:

I can even get kills with an AWP, and I suck, so that should tell you something, lol.

In close range against 2 or 3 enemies, and average to good aweper is toast.

In close range against 2 or 3 enemies, a P90er could win out.

Its about playing the strengths of each weapon and avoiding situations where you dont have an advantage. Another reason why there are smoke and flash nades that are relatively cheap. Equalizers.

I like how clan_mil_beta is set up in that there are only 1-3 spots where awping is useful and you can easily flank those individuals. Maps like italy only have 3 ways into the hostie sight and they all consist of long hall bottlnecked or lower vantage point areas so 1 AWPer can effectively cover every possible route of attack from 1 spot. Poor map design IMO.

(edited)

There are reasons why the awp is basically 5k and the tmp is 1350, one is more powerfull than the other if you wanted every gun to be the exact same then maybe you should write valve asking for just ak's on both sides and there your even.

There are many advantages and disadvantages to every single gun in cs, if you rush an awper most likely you will take him out, most awpers get flustered when there is more than 1 target on there screen.

There are way to many scenarios for me to list what to do against an awper or when you have one against a team with rifles.

You would love regular cs more if you knew what to do against the awp, thats why half the posts in the forums for steam is people complaining that the awp should be banned. because not many people know how to go against one.

Edited by M2

First of all, this is a gun that takes skill to use. I know many times I am either alive, listening to awp shots going off and seeing nobody die, or dead speccing someone who misses every time thinking "Just put it down!"

It's especially difficult to use when you are being rushed and fighting at close range. You always have to be sure your feet are planted, or the target is only about 2 feet away, before firing. And no-scope kills are highly satisfying, and require a certain degree of skill that many players don't possess.

Yes, it is easy to stand in one place, such as t spawn on italy, and pick people off w/ out moving. But that doesn't really take much skill w/ a scout, ak, colt or deagle either. The people who are really impressive are the players that are successful with an awp but use the same strategy they would employ w/ a rifle or shotgun, because that takes some serious skills.

To make the statement "that weapon requires no skill" is ignorant in regards to any weapon. Maybe you don't like getting killed with it, but that doesn't mean the other player isn't skilled. They're obviously good enough to drop YOU!

There are reasons why the awp is basically 5k and the tmp is 1350, one is more powerfull than the other if you wanted every gun to be the exact same then maybe you should write valve asking for just ak's on both sides and there your even.

There are many advantages and disadvantages to every single gun in cs, if you rush an awper most likely you will take him out, most awpers get flustered when there is more than 1 target on there screen.

There are way to many scenarios for me to list what to do against an awper or when you have one against a team with rifles.

You would love regular cs more if you knew what to do against the awp, thats why half the posts in the forums for steam is people complaining that the awp should be banned. because not many people know how to go against one.

The machine gun is 1000 more than the AWP. Do you think that's more powerful than the AWP? Do you think it's even more powerful than something like the TMP?

I have no problem going against an AWP. If there's someone AWPing the bridge on Aztec, just go water or DD. If there's an AWPer at long hall on Italy, just go middle or apartments.

I know it's an easy weapon to use, not because of dying from it but using it myself.

Mookie, the shotgun can randomly one hit kill at almost any range. :)