Pondering about FF06, no wait, I'm GOING!!!

EbilDustBunny

Ok I was bored today and after playing and hanging with all of you last night... I started to ponder if I should go to FF06. (at work of course...teehee) But... Ohio is so far away I can't drive there by myself!

So here's the Obstacles:

1. How do you make traveling all the way to Ohio to meet up with a bunch of guys not sound bad to the parents especially to my dad. I'm 20 but yeah i'm a girl so somehow that changes to whole situation. **toughest one

2. You know... I might be immobile in the cold northern weather up there. Atleast in the morning.... LOL!

3. Bring my PC

4. I have to find a hotel? (or Roomies?)

5. If I have to get a plane ticket where is FF06 exactly?

6. In reference to #5 and #3 who can I TMP if the airplane jacks up my PC and monitor!

7. Umm whats the temp over there?

I have a bunch more questions and stuffs but these will be good for now. It's still in the pondering stage because that's alot of trust to meet up with people you've never met before.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all those are reasonable questions ebil however.... there are lots of ways around all of em. i will address them in order:

1. its not just a bunch of guys..... well maybe it is however, there were other ladies there last time and i know they had a great time..... thx to clueless keeping them entertained, lol. however, its not about the whole guy-girl thing. seriously... it was like a big family reunion. there are so many things going on and lots of great people around its just like hangin out with friends back home, and i assume you have guy friends back home.

everybody looks out for one another, and go out of the way to make everyone feel welcomed and ensure they are having a good time. there are different personalities everywhere but when you are all there for the same reason its easy for everyone to come together and hang out as a whole. im tellin ya, i was so disapointed when i found out i couldnt go this year cause i was leaving. last year was my first FF and i tell you what.... i met alot of cool people and made some great friends! i would look at it like this.... its not you and a bunch of guys.... its you and a bunch of friends who are all going to sit around and have a blast.

2. you are going in july.... last time i think it was like 80-90 degrees easily. it is just as warm but the sun in ohio wont turn your skin into leather. lol.

3. it will be well looked after and locked up at night. nothing will happen to it and dont worry about viruses either. this is one thing they are extremely good about. everyone must run a program and the results of the scan are reviewed before they are plugged into the network.

4. it is at the holiday and im sure there will be plenty of rooms available. if you dont want to pay for a room by yourself im sure there will be plenty of honest and trustworthy people lookin for a roommate. also i know that you could always try and hook up with someone who has a female staying with them. asking around for this would be your best bet.... maybe in the chit chat section of the forums. last year i stayed with shep and becca, it was a blast! those two went out of thier way for me all weekend and i still dont feel like i have thanked them enough. just ask i know there is someone out there with the same concerns or that has an open bed.

5. i believe it is Hudson, Ohio. i know you cant fly directly into hudson, however you might be able to fly into somewhere you can meet up with someone else who is going.... again i would ask around about this too. what about driving? i drove 17 hours one way by myself last year and it was worth every minute of the drive(would be easier to transfer comp. this way too).

6. if you do have to fly maybe there a couple things you could remove so that it wouldnt be damaged in transfer and place them in your carry-on to ensure the safe arrival of the items.

7. answered above in answer number #2.

i'll say this in response to the trust thing. the staff does an excellent job putting this on and they go way out of thier way to ensure every last detail is covered. i met so many people last year unfortunately i cant remember all the names, however i didnt meet one mean person. it isnt fun for everyone unless everybody is havin a good time. there will be so many things going on besides gaming also that you wont have to worry about staying busy. also, the admins that do attend do a great job of introducing you to people... explaining what is going on.... so that you wont be sitting around feeling uncomfortable. believe me ebil when i say you will not regret going. it will be a blast and i hope that this all helps out some.

The first year I went I drove up from St. Petersburg, FL. I drove up to Atl, GA and dropped the wife and kid with my parents and spent the first year at FF alone. The second year my wife asked to come and I thought why not? So she joined me and had a blast. Although we camped out that time and it was VERY VERY cold. Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Fattty for loaning us some blankets and we spent the second night in relative comfort. Now though the event is in a hotel, so the weather isn't much of a worry and the people are the friendliest around. Sure there's alot of trash talk, but it's all in good fun. As for the parents, you could always invite them to come along. Computers may not be their thing but there are plenty of other things going on. Also there are alot of people going from all over the country. If you decide to drive we have a few married couples that head up there from Athens, www.vi4life.com, and Atlanta, my wife and I. I'm sure there is someone that you could either carpool with or follow up the event from wherever you hail from. Hope it helps and good luck. Hope to see/meet you there. :wavey:

I've only driven with in a 4 hour radius type distance from my home in SW Florida... Atlanta is 513 miles away from me. :( That's too scarey... especially in my car. Oh and about "the sun in ohio wont turn your skin into leather. lol." ... that only applies to old foggies that don't know when to get out of the sun! *shudder and gags* :freak3:

I think ive said this befor to those that fly to FragFest, UPS your computer/monitor to a friend or the hotel. Its insured through UPS and they do a better job then the airlines. I believe Gond used to work for a company that shipped PC's all over the world for trade show's, in special plastic tubes on wheels though. But im sure you have a UPS store near you who will even pack it in styrofoam for you..

Oh yeah, and if you do decide to attend FF06.  I believe you can ask the hotel for plastic sheets, in case you wet the bed..  :)  I couldnt resist..

Ha! LOL.

:boo::bang::boo:

---------------------

I dunno about mailing it... that's quiet a bit of insurence month I have to pay extra or whatevers. Still need to figure out how to get there. Rashad said train but are trains cheaper then planes? :unsure:

Oh yeah, and if you do decide to attend FF06.  I believe you can ask the hotel for plastic sheets, in case you wet the bed..  :)  I couldnt resist..

Ha! LOL.

:boo::bang::boo:

---------------------

I dunno about mailing it... that's quiet a bit of insurence month I have to pay extra or whatevers. Still need to figure out how to get there. Rashad said train but are trains cheaper then planes? :unsure:

rofl

I don't think that will ever leave you...

Show your dad this thread, he'll let you go for sure..

well... I'm not worried about them ever finding me on the internet I've blocked them from checking on my grades online through all of highschool. (but shhhhh.)

My plan is to let them know I'm going to Ohio for a convention for what I'm dunno how to word it yet. I guess I can play the almost 21 card... (July is just a couple months before my 21st birthday.) Plus they are letting me go to europe with a friend for summer too, why not Ohio it is closer.

Anyone know how Shazz is going to get back up there? :P

Just tell your parents the truth, tell them its a "Nerd Party".. Thats what my wife/parents have been calling it..

Last yr's FF was very friendly, I didnt see or meet any 'sleezy' guys (other than RedEyes). There was NO sexual undertone, heck I dont even remember much bad language during FF.. Heck there were some very very young kids there playing who's parents dropped them off and signed some paperwork, and they were fine with all of us..

Like I said: Its safe, friendly, very well organized, professional, good clean fun.. I and alot of other people were drinking but no one was ever out of control or drop dead drunk.. Hmm Well there was a guy sitting behind me (THX's friend) and he was TRASHED, Fatty had him move cause we all thought he was gonna throw up on the PC's.. But other than that its clean fun.. Show your dad the picture of the girls who were at last yrs FF, cause there were at least 10 of them..

Just tell your parents the truth, tell them its a "Nerd Party"..  Thats what my wife/parents have been calling it.. 

Last yr's FF was very friendly, I didnt see or meet any 'sleezy' guys (other than RedEyes).  There was NO sexual undertone, heck I dont even remember much bad language during FF..  Heck there were some very very young kids there playing who's parents dropped them off and signed some paperwork, and they were fine with all of us.. 

Like I said:  Its safe, friendly, very well organized, professional, good clean fun..  I and alot of other people were drinking but no one was ever out of control or drop dead drunk..  Hmm Well there was a guy sitting behind me (THX's friend) and he was TRASHED, Fatty had him move cause we all thought he was gonna throw up on the PC's..  But other than that its clean fun..  Show your dad the picture of the girls who were at last yrs FF, cause there were at least 10 of them..

I know that Im going to go this year with Shep because I had a lot of fun last year. I only played for a little bit. I know that there was talk last year of trying to get all the ladies together and making a day of shopping of something. Plus we all hang out Saturday night.

GC Alumni
(edited)
Tell some of your college girlfriends that there's this guy named Clueless who will buy all your drinks for the entire weekend....

Hope you decide to come!!!!

:unsure: Does fatty's wife glance at the forums? lol... Trying to meet the estrogen quota this year? :halo: I dunno don't get your hopes up boys most of my friends are in "relationships". But if I can get a free gal to come I shall bring her, but prolly not I don't think I want to babysit on my vacation. :twitch: because I want to be like this if i go up there.... brokenboulevard.gifWoo_by_Deadman2.gifHyper_by_Azundo.gif

and maybe this... OMG_couch_fire_by_Azundo.gif

<these are made by my friends>

Edited by EbilDustBunny