Since the 64bit optimiztions for source

Laz.e.rus

i don't get it. after the news that source went 64, i installed xp64 on my amd x86-64, installed steam, and downloaded css and hl2.

when i launched the task manager, windows was reporting steam (steam.exe) and css (hl2.exe) as 32 bit apps. win64 indicates what is running 64 or 32. thinking maybe steam just needed to detect the 64bit through a few more updates, i waited. a week later, still at 32bit. with the lousy driver support, and most programs running via WoW 32bit emu, i figured i might as well stay on 32bit.

don't ask me how or why, but as the news release said, only hl2 and hl2:lost coast were released in 64bit. css apparently remains in 32bit land.

laugh and throw rocks if you want, but i've never played hl2. i don't have any interest in it. i guess it would have been smart to dl hl2 and launch it during my x64 eval to see if that was running in 64bit.

short version: i couldn't get counter-strike:source to run as a 64bit app.

(edited)
laugh and throw rocks if you want, but i've never played hl2. i don't have any interest in it. i guess it would have been smart to dl hl2 and launch it during my x64 eval to see if that was running in 64bit.

*beats with stick* That's one of those things that are like totally wrong. Buying a game just for an expansion and never playing it.

Edited by Kruten

I really hope that software and hardware actually catch on to true 64bit instead of it becomming a novelty like MMX. I've seen 64 bit chips out for what, 2 years now and instead of the desingers capitalizing on this wonderous exansion of binary code...they can't even get a working 64 bit OS with decent driver support, and software developers deliver lackluster 64bit version of very few programs. Meanwhile the market is pushing things toward dual core with built in hardware that converts single thread code to multithread code to take advantage of this.

64 bit is a marketing ploy to sell CPU's who's only claim to fame for the last 2 years has been "can perform 32 bit insturctions...really fast."

:boo:

:peace: I have got a big increase in FPS in hl2 in 64...css also went up bout 15-20fps at higher res. I can not run it anymore because my raid config is not supported..but anyways..yes I have seen an increase. :wiggle2: