I ALMOST DIED

Whitney

Ok so i woke up at 7:50 to go to work right. And i work over in Kansas City, MO which is about 15 miles or so away from my house if you take 435. So it was snowing but not that bad, there was snow on the ground but it wasn't that slick. About halfway there, all of a sudden all i could see was white. My car was sliding and i actually had to use both hands to drive (rare occasion). People all around me were slowing down because u couldn't see ANYTHING in front of you. It was all just a big white blob of nothingness. Then all of a sudden i see brake lights come on in fron tof me.

I tried to slow down, but i just kept sliding. I was pushing down on the breaks as hard as possible but it was like it had no effect.

On the side of the road there must have been atleast 10 cars messed up from getting in accidents in this one spot alone. There were people on the opposite side of the highway you had also fallen into the trap of this particular part of road. People had fallen off the side of hills where rivers were, there were cars mangled up in front of off ramps, Vans no longer looked like vans but those funny japanese delivery trucks that make u wonder where the engine is.

Then a Taurus decides he's gonna switch lanes in front of me while i was sliding everywhere. i Turned my steering wheel as far right as i could, and i was still going straight! The guy in the ugly orange truck behind me must have thought he was going to hit me, cuz he barely stopped in time. I swear it was the scariest thing ever.

Then when i finally got to work, ten minutes later, my mom called work asking if i had made it. Apparently about 5 min after i left that scene, there was a 50-60 car pile up in that spot. People just kept slamming into eachtoher not knowing what was going on. Then they closed the highway from around 8:30-11 so that they could get all of the cars out. I think of myself as a lucky person. Plus i didn't have my drivers license or anything on me.

I konw that if i still had the super bad tires i had on my car in November, i'd be dead right now. And if i didn't know how to drive correctly, i would have been very badly injured.

Just wanted to let everyone know about my close brush with death today. it was very eventful.

sounds like quite the accident there where i live we consider a 2 car accident a pile up

That and in minnesota and wisconsin people rarely ever go off the road. I have no prob driving though a blizzard.

When i passed though kansas to mississippi there was about 3 inches of snow and there were 21 cars in the ditch in a 4 mile stretch, i found out that they closed the highway down. But we kept on driving, we had no prob diving on ice. But people couldnt even get out of the gas station :biglaugha:

But wow did you have anti lock brakes? and you NEVER turn your wheel all the way. btw

OH REALLY so when there is a car, coming at me and im trying to swurve away from it hitting me, im just spose to let it hit me eh? and so when im going down a steep hill and people slam on their brakes at once, im just suppose to gently tap the brakes and hope that the gentle tapping will help me stop within 10 ft? ok? u weren't there don't even start.

Whitney I'm sorry that you almost got killed :-/

Terribleone was just saying that if your car doesn't have abs you should ideally avoid slamming full on the brakes.. because then you lose directional control of the car. But, it does take a lot of discipline to overcome instinct in a situation so terrifying. You probably did better than I would have in your place, which is why you're alive.

-Ninja

YES you are suppose to do that. If you hit your brakes or turn a lot when you are on a slippery surface then nothing will happen.

I am a minnesotan, i have driven on crappy roads half my life.

I know that it was tramatic and i wasnt trying to correct you.

Im sorry. I wont post again

I'm glad you made it out all right. There are a lot of people here, happy you did.

...the driving instructions are for stopping on ice - not for avoiding collision, unless it's just a line of people, driving straight. I'm assuming the pileup was started because the first two swerved, and the rest just hammered on the breaks, instead of nursing them.

...actually, pumping the breaks is more reliable than ABS... ...le sigh.

Living up north has just taught me that the number of dumb people doing dumb things on the road, at top speed, while merging increases tenfold, when there's more than a foot of snow, and ice below.

:= ...I'm glad to hear you made it out!!! Man I get so freaked out when I'm in situations like that because people are generally such bad drivers in the first place...put some hard packed snow/black ice down and things get ugly...generally if you don't have ABS then you gotta mash the breaks on and off to slow the car down...but really, in serious conditions like you were in, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference...happy that you're alright

Glad you are Ok. Always looking out for one of our own. However,

My car was sliding and i actually had to use both hands to drive (rare occasion)...

and if i didn't know how to drive correctly, i would have been very badly injured.

Did anyone else find this ironic?? :lol2:

Nah using 2 hands on the wheel is for nubs and/or people that drive automatics. Two reasons everyone should drive manual, because also just gearing down will probably be almost as good as using the brakes in that situation.

kinda reminds me of this one time where i should have died just last year...

Me and my whole family (6 ppl total) were driving to montana from minnesota in a big conversion van. We were traveling with one other family in another van behind us. We were on the freeway, and we were going about 65-70 mph. The roads had gotten quite bad and it started to snow. Then we hit a long patch of pure ice. Our van started to drift back and forth and the driver was moving the wheel back and forth to try to straiten us out. This, however, just made things worse, and we were rotating back and forth more and more. Everyone in the van was just sitting there with open mouths because we could not see this ending well... the entire time we were still going more than 60 mph. Finally, while still travelling the same speed forward, the van did a complete 360 while staying in the center of the lane (other ppl told me we actually did a 720, but i was too horrified to really notice). Right when we were facing forward again, the ice patch ended, and we continued to drive strait. Also, the whole time this was happening, there was a car right ahead of us and behind us. It was incredible.

just a little note don't slam on the brakes when you are sliding pump them cause i am pretty sure you don't have abs

Thats what I was thinking. If you pump your brakes quickly rather then slam on them, you will come to a stop a lot quicker.

Im glad youre okay

Edited by YoMamma