cs_militia

GC Alumni
(edited)

It seems like militia needs to go, at least from the late night rotations. Tonight it came on at around 12:30 and there was a lot of complaining. I like it, but not many seem to. Every time it comes up, a lot of people are immediately asking for an admin to change maps, and at that time of night there sometimes isn't one.

EDIT: This isn't a thread to complain about the map, just to state that a lot of players on Mayhem don't seem to like it and it's causing a small drop in traffic, at a time when it would probably be packed and putting a fair number into Ebullition as well.

EDIT2: So if you have a complaint about the map don't bother reposting it, there are plenty of posts already.

Edited by mookie

But hey, the CTs that didn't switch to spectator or T put up a fight.

That's what I hate. Most of the people who reject the map at that time reject it because they are a CT. So then they switch to the other side or do nothing instead of actually trying. Come back to that map again with most of the same people, but with the players swapped around, the oppostie will start happening and the whiners will stop unless they are losing on the T side.

Last time I played militia, CTs won 10-3, would've been 10-2, but we lost one round cause a stupid hostie got stuck in the doorway. We were pwnin them silly Ts left right and centre. Even when they camped the garage, we were so aggressive, yeah, they'd prolly pop off the first guy, but we continued to win.

EDIT: This isn't a thread to complain about the map, just to state that a lot of players on Mayhem don't seem to like it and it's causing a small drop in traffic, at a time when it would probably be packed and putting a fair number into Ebullition as well.

EDIT2: So if you have a complaint about the map don't bother reposting it, there are plenty of posts already.

Last time I played militia, CTs won 10-3, would've been 10-2, but we lost one round cause a stupid hostie got stuck in the doorway. We were pwnin them silly Ts left right and centre. Even when they camped the garage, we were so aggressive, yeah, they'd prolly pop off the first guy, but we continued to win.

And that's the thing. The CTs actually tried and worked together. If they just ran in or camped around entrances randomly like what usually happens if probably would've been a blowout and the Ts win. Militia is similar to assault, except it has more entrances, and they also all can't be covered from one spot. Though assault did have problems with the stupid hosties too, and at all doorways.

GC Alumni

The point I was trying to raise is not that it's a bad map, but that a large number of the server regulars don't like it. Balanced or not, it's no good playing when a lot of the players are just trying to move through the map as fast as possible and don't want to play it.

That's what I mean. They try to get done with the map as fast as possible because they automatically consider it a bad map and the match will end with a blowout or near blowout. The same thing happens with the other not very balanced maps like assault, dust, and piranesi.

Complain should equal you must make your own map that is better and you shall not be allowed off the computer until you are done!

side note: i personally dont like the map but you know what we all have our favorites and most hated, but cant be perfect for everyone all the time so play hard and just try to keep teams even (boy i think ive seen and heard that a few times before)

It needs taken out! I always auto to CT on this map becuase everyone jumps T. Having a horrible K:D ratio doesn't really bother me except when it's mixed with even worse lag. This is hard to spit out but.. I would rather play dust 1 or asstec.. phew that was hard.

Just my $.02

on the mid-day maplist, its right after russka. now russka aint a bad map but it does lower the player count.

when militia is right after that, it goes from bad to worse (player count wise) :boo:

I can't really state an opinion about the map right now though since I've only played it once and the CTs won. I thought it was ok because the teams looked pretty even. Can't say anything at all about russka, never even seen it.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
The point I was trying to raise is not that it's a bad map, but that a large number of the server regulars don't like it. Balanced or not, it's no good playing when a lot of the players are just trying to move through the map as fast as possible and don't want to play it.

Militia used to be one of the biggest favorites back in the day. It seems the most popular of maps in the old days are no longer the favorites. I remember Assault, Inferno and Militia being on the top of the list. Now they are never played.

the big prob with Militia I think is that people do not have the comp system to play it with good fps.

Anytime a new map comes out we want to give it a fair trial. Initial reactions can sometimes be tainted but we're nearing the point where it's had some time. Personally I like the map but it is tough for CT's. This is probably made tougher by our shorter round times, giving the CT's less time to rescue hostages.

After speaking with the other Lead admins we've removed cs_militia from the primetime rotation for now. We'll consider removing it from the others as well. Admins can still bring this up if enough players want the map of course :hug:

Militia used to be one of the biggest favorites back in the day. It seems the most popular of maps in the old days are no longer the favorites. I remember Assault, Inferno and Militia being on the top of the list. Now they are never played.

the big prob with Militia I think is that people do not have the comp system to play it with good fps.

That's because all of these "Source Noobs" showed up and they don't appreciate how far CS has come, and what its roots were. All of the oldies (Prodigy, Assault, Chateau, Havana, Militia, Train) don't get played enough because the new people don't know the maps... 7 YEARS this game has been out... 7 YEARS...

there aren't really very many maps that are T sided or CT sided; it's a mix of having players on either team that don't seem to grasp the concept of how to win.

The only beef I have with Nuke and Militia is that, in an effort to further the "eye candy" factor of CS, they have made it difficult for alot to enjoy. As you said, it's a MAJOR drain on the CPU/GPU. If anything, that's the ONLY reason I don't like Militia. It's a great map... and had people had to deal with playing the old version with the awpers on the roofs... then they would see the superiority of this version. And, do so before they had mods that made disabled scoped weapons.

Bottom line: You can't please everyone... someone is always going to be upset. Whether its Dust 2 or whatever... someone doesn't like the map... which is why I say; Put ALL of the maps you have available, into the rotation.. if people don't like a particular map.. leave for a map or 2... come back... becuase there's about 25 great maps and this would reduce complaints, and reduce the dreaded repetition that comes from people not wanting to play other maps.

Thanks.

Edited by {.s.D.s.} R!c0

Nice speech, Rico. I don't mind militia. Heck, I was psyched when I heard it was coming out. I still like to play it once in a while (especially having a bunch of zombies attack the house in Garry's Mod). If they don't like the map, let them come back later. We'd have pleanty of people to keep the server busy.

The "source n00b" statement that Rico says is pretty much true. Any map that those "n00b"s aren't familiar with, they complain until they achieve a 0-21 ratio from complaining so much, then the map changes because the server reached that "10" round limit.

We should have a jump map night :D

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Yes, Militia was super hard back in the day with the T snipers on the roof. I think it is now a more of a CT map than a T map. The CT can come up from the water now and there are more places to hide and sneak in. Plus, the smoke is better and flashes work much better.

I like militia. But then aghain, I haven't ben playing cs:s a lot recently. The main complaint I'd been hearing when it came on was that it killed peeps framerates. Doesn't hurt mine, but then again, I upgraded to a nice system a year ago, so maps like nuke and militia run great for me.

My guess: in a year or so many of the same people who hate these maps will like them because they'll have upgraded and they'll perform better for them.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a really bad run tonight with this map - we had like 9v9 going and it was okay, then this map in and it just *died* really badly.

I could care less about balance issues concearning the map, but considering the lack of interest in scopeless as of late, i'd really like to see this map replaced with something more popular and more user friendly (not so much lag, not so much questionable balance issues)

Seriously. can anything be done here?

• 3 weeks later...