Anitvirus and Steam

Shazz

Here is my problem...or more of a situtation. Either way, its annoying.

I run Bitdefender 9. One of the best Anitvirus programs I have ever used! Very easy and isnt' a huge resource hog.

But here is where the story changes. Whenever I start up Steam, I pick a game to play...it doesn't matter if it is CS, TFC or for that matter ANY game under Steam. Whenever my map starts to load up it was taking forever. On CS I would miss the Pistol round and sometimes even the Second round before my CS would load up. I have mentioned to people about this problem and the answer back is "How much ram do you have?" I have 1 gig.

What I found out by Alt Tabbing out (while the steam bar is just sitting at half way) is that I looked at Bitdefender and noticed that it was scanning my Steam folder. AHHH!!! I thought to myself...you are scanning my Steam folder EVERY time I change maps!

How can I stop this?? Any recommendations?? I am getting tired of missing Pistol rounds and more by this antivirus scanning files comming in and going out every time I play CS.

I have also tried turning off Bitdefender while playing CS and it doesn't stop.

My Setup

P4 3.2

1 gig memory

800 megahertz bus clock

XP media edition

16 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

RADEON X850 xt PE

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)
Here is my problem...or more of a situtation. Either way, its annoying.

I run Bitdefender 9. One of the best Anitvirus programs I have ever used! Very easy and isnt' a huge resource hog.

But here is where the story changes. Whenever I start up Steam, I pick a game to play...it doesn't matter if it is CS, TFC or for that matter ANY game under Steam. Whenever my map starts to load up it was taking forever. On CS I would miss the Pistol round and sometimes even the Second round before my CS would load up. I have mentioned to people about this problem and the answer back is "How much ram do you have?" I have 1 gig.

What I found out by Alt Tabbing out (while the steam bar is just sitting at half way) is that I looked at Bitdefender and noticed that it was scanning my Steam folder. AHHH!!! I thought to myself...you are scanning my Steam folder EVERY time I change maps!

How can I stop this?? Any recommendations?? I am getting tired of missing Pistol rounds and more by this antivirus scanning files comming in and going out every time I play CS.

I have also tried turning off Bitdefender while playing CS and it doesn't stop.

My Setup

P4 3.2

1 gig memory

800 megahertz bus clock

XP media edition

16 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

RADEON X850 xt PE

Most antivirus programs put alot of programs in your background that do the actual scanning. Closing out whatevers in your taskbar/system tray usually does nothing. I'd recommend using autoruns ( http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html ) to disable these startup items as well as going to START>run>type services.msc and see what it has loaded up. Be careful, I wouldn't mess with any of this stuff unless you know what you are doing but it seems that you do...

Edited by ash-

i'm the only one who uses my computer, so i know (mostly) what's coming in and out. because of that, i shut down all my autoscans, and have scheduled scans only when i'm not using the machine (say 6am sunday mornings). but if you got little groms running around, dunno what to say.

In an ideal world, your gaming machine is never, ever touched by others. I live in an ideal world in that regard. Touch my computer and be prepared to throw down.

However, if you are using a family machine, make sure the biggest 'tards in the family use an account that's in a limited group, like limited users or guests. Also adjust and lock IE zone settings and run Ad-Adware on Administrator weekly.

As far as antivirus goes... NEIN! Kill any and all extra processes before playing games. You should have no more than 29. I personally have 28 and that's with disabled antivirus and Visual Studios .NET 2005.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Disable the autoscan Shazz when you are playing games. That should keep that from happening.

lol i have 40 processes. i used to be able to get mine down in the 20s but the g15 just eats so many. xfi sound card makes a few and ati vid drivers make 3 more. with 2gigs of ram and a dual core though it's no big deal. i also don't use any antivirus or antispyware. only time i've ever picked anything bad up was when i was at uni with no router.

lol i have 40 processes. i used to be able to get mine down in the 20s but the g15 just eats so many. xfi sound card makes a few and ati vid drivers make 3 more. with 2gigs of ram and a dual core though it's no big deal. i also don't use any antivirus or antispyware. only time i've ever picked anything bad up was when i was at uni with no router.

My system runs in the 40s too. Hes right about the g15 using a bunch of processes. I like PC-Cillin for antivirus needs.

I uninstalled Symantec and went to Bitdefender. Even after all that, I still had Symantec stuff running in the background. Took me a while to get it all cleaned out.

Great program for all that is www.ccleaner.com

(edited)
I uninstalled Symantec and went to Bitdefender. Even after all that, I still had Symantec stuff running in the background. Took me a while to get it all cleaned out.

There are a lot of technical associates who work with me who would rather get a virus then put Symantec products on their machines.

Edited by Cobalt

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

There are a lot of technical associated who work with me who would rather get a virus then put Symantec products on their machines.

Norton is the DEVIL!! Such a miserable pile of crap of an antivirus. It integrates into Everything and if it breaks, be ready to reinstall. Such a horrible program these days. Trend Micro's software is probably the best. I do have to say that Ewido's anti-malware is fantastic. My new favorite for virus and spyware protection all in one. Easy on the system resources too.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

Do you have your swap file disabled? It will make your system run much faster with 2gb of ram. I have 1.5gb of ram and it's real nice. No stuttering whatsoever in any games period as windows does not have to swap data to the hard drive. You can disable all that junk from your x-fi and ati too. I have an xtrememusic and an X300SE with none of the bloat programs in my startup.

There are a lot of technical associated who work with me who would rather get a virus then put Symantec products on their machines.

Norton is the DEVIL!! Such a miserable pile of crap of an antivirus. It integrates into Everything and if it breaks, be ready to reinstall. Such a horrible program these days.

Absolutly correct. I remember when norton was such a simple program. Now it has to stick it's grubby little paws in every part of your system so that add/remove programs will not completly remove it. It's crap like this that makes me not wanna run a virus scanner period. Mcaffee is the same way too. They need to clean up their acts before the free AV scanners clean their clocks.

Norton is the DEVIL!! Such a miserable pile of crap of an antivirus. It integrates into Everything and if it breaks, be ready to reinstall. Such a horrible program these days. Trend Micro's software is probably the best. I do have to say that Ewido's anti-malware is fantastic. My new favorite for virus and spyware protection all in one. Easy on the system resources too.

Is Ewido's anti-malware a anti virus program?? Could this take the place of Bitdefender?

ash i've looked into disabling ati stuff and it's needed for ati overdrive. also, i use the xfi volume panel thing that runs in the tray. trust me, i've disabled everything i can. for instance i don't use a printer so spoolsv is disabled. when i said 41 i was counting outlook (which uses word as well) msn, firefox, daemon tools, logitech g15 and g5 software and mbm5. so lots of extra stuff running that i need.

PC-Cillin. I thought about that one too. Is it a big resource hog? I am thinking about changing avtivirus programs because of this.

I use PCcillin it's not that bad on the processes like the other antiviruses... *cough* Norton smells *cough*

if you get pc cillin you might want to remember to schedule the updates... it has a pop up that shows up when it's updating ... i dunno if there's a way to keep it from popping up never tried but it does suck when it happens when you're playing CS

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

Ewido says it is intended as a supplement BUT it detects and cleans better than any other program right now. It is removing stuff that spybot, spysweeper, and adaware are missing on cleans. It is only 30 bucks too for a year, much cheaper than other Antiviruses plus it is intended to get all malware (malware includes spyware and viruses). I would use it. It updates every day.

Get the 14 day trial and see how you like it. www.ewido.net

Edited by zerodamage

I hear that Avast (another free AV) does a better job than AVG (which I use), but more people have problems with it, too.

Remind me not to get a G15. I just use a standard $10 keyboard, and Logitech Wheelmouse Optical, and I never touch the "mouseware" stuff. I despise all those "extra" features they put in those things. My processes are trimmed down to 21 with AVG and all that nvidia stuff running.

Edited by Goofus Maximus

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
I hear that Avast (another free AV) does a better job than AVG (which I use), but more people have problems with it, too.

Remind me not to get a G15. I just use a standard $10 keyboard, and Logitech Wheelmouse Optical, and I never touch the "mouseware" stuff. I despise all those "extra" features they put in those things. My processes are trimmed down to 21 with AVG and all that nvidia stuff running.

You don't need to keep "all that nvidia stuff" open. I had all those silly processes disabled from starting up before my 6600GT fried.

I've heard that disabling a swap file is potentially dangerous. You should leave your page file intact and operational JUST IN CASE your RAM bank is pushed to the limit (multitasking, etc.)

I know that running Macromedia Studios, Windows Media Player, Visual Studios .NET 2005 and BitTorrent can get pretty intensive and my page file is needed on occasion.