Why do you smoke?

EbilDustBunny

well I do not want to get into details here, but alcohol and cigs make your brain create the same chemical, so when you are drinking that is what makes you want a cig. On a side note, I haven't smoked a cig *sober* in about 3 years.

people smoke because there addicted, the question iis why did you start smoking

Yeah there's different type of addictions... with all the red lights and warnings. Why do people keep doing it?

some people only smoke like once a year. that's not addiction is it?

I sometimes smoke when I drink. But not cigarettes...they just kill my fragile lungs. I prefer some mint or apple tobbacco from a hookah, or a nice cuban or dominican cigar if they are availible. Clove cigarettes are nice too. The reason why I smoke is because it is a good picker-upper after a long night of drinking, and keeps me awake to dance, dance, dance.

Hmmm i think they smoke because of that "I can quit whenever i want, i just don't want to.". *Addiction!*

I can do a whole essay on this topic since drugs ruined my family for a long period of time. And in some ways, permanently. But.. i'll keep that to myself and spare you guys the lesson. :hug:

people smoke because there addicted, the question iis why did you start smoking

Agreed. :(

You know what I find odd?...the Fact that I occasionally smoke (and have for past 13 years) and yet I know better.

I'll tell you a story.

My parents are tea-tottlers. They don't smoke, don't drink, they exercise, they go to church every week, and they eat right. Now they are in their mid/late 60's and they are falling apart. I mean, heart disease, asthma, fibromyalgia, arthritis, bouts with cancer (colon and skin)...

I decided...ahhh to heck with it. I will drink and smoke when I want because I like to. I enjoy smoking.

When I don't, I stop.

I roll my own cigs so it is much more a ritual than a force of habit. It is more methodical. There are times when I go months without tobacco, so that is how I know I am not addicted. I never have an overwhelming "urge" to smoke.

I do or don't, but it is all up to how I feel at the moment.

Sad thing is...I teach biology, run, ride bikes, eat healthy, etc...

Heh...stupid is as stupid does.

I suppose when my number is up, regardless of life, the good lord will take me to the great beyond.

aren't cigars worse???

They're supposed to be because they have no filters.

But I smoke cause I'm kewl. Heck nah. I already have asthma, don't need to make my lungs worse.

You don't actually inhale a cigar into your lungs...plus it's not like you are going to smoke a pack of cigars a day (although some people smoke a few a day, it a more casual thing). You also don't usually smoke more than a clove or two. Like alcohol, or trans-fats, you can limit the damage by limiting your intake. So really, to say that smoking cloves or cigars is just as bad as cigarettes isn't exactly correct, because of the amount of each people acutally smoke.

You don't actually inhale a cigar into your lungs...plus it's not like you are going to smoke a pack of cigars a day (although some people smoke a few a day, it a more casual thing). You also don't usually smoke more than a clove or two. Like alcohol, or trans-fats, you can limit the damage by limiting your intake. So really, to say that smoking cloves or cigars is just as bad as cigarettes isn't exactly correct, because of the amount of each people acutally smoke.

I have a couple of humidors at home b/c I have a buddy in the cigar business. I smoke 1 or 2 a month, but I know guys that smoke 2-3 a day.

The real risk from cigars is cancer of the mouth, esophagus, and larynx.

I would add that anything is acceptable in moderation with those vices you choose and can control. Your bodies response to those things is a product of your immune system and your genetic risk factors. Some ppl smoke for a year and get lung cancer, some don't. Some ppl have a couple of drinks are are s**t-faced after that (pardon...)...then they get addicted quickly. I had an uncle from Greece who smoked cigars every day and drank as well. He died of "old age" in his 90's. I knew a woman who died at the age of 26 from lung cancer and never smoked a day in her life.

However, we are in the middle of a major cancer epidemic where 1 in 2 men will get cancer before they die and 1 in 3 women will get cancer before they die.

I would assert that because of the chemical age that dawned on us after the 2nd industrial shift in the 1950's and the founding of the modern chemical lifestyle, we have more cancer. I would be worried about what is in your air, soil, food, and water right now...because those are factors that you have little control over.

Samuel Epstein (PHD) from U of I has written several books and 100's of peer reviewed articles about the environmental toxins we are exposed to and how little we know about their effects.

Look at our grandparents and great grandparents. My grandparents were Swedish immigrants in the first decade of 1900. She worked on a farm, her husband worked for the railroad as well as farmed, her parents farmed. They smoked pipes, drank wine, ate lard, bacon, cream, fat, etc...they lived well into their 80's and never had cancer.

It was their environment. No modern petroleum lifestyle, very little driving and fuel use, no pesticides in their food and water, because none of that was used.

We are killing ourselves through our environment. When chemical detergents used in water treatment can be found in broccoli, when rocket fuel additives and PCB's can be found in rivers, lakes, soil, and heck even arctic ice, when the air we breathe contains ozone from fossil fuel consumption...that is cancer causing right there.

Edited by Tek-Almighty