Community CSS Events

Fatty

I'd like to see us organizing/hosting more events that our community members will enjoy. OSS is an example of this.

What I need are teams of at least two leaders who will see an event through and run something twice a month. We'll create a forum specifically for the events, and it would be the responsibility of the leaders to see it through for at least a couple months.

I think it was DNA who started talking about "pick up games" in another thread. This is a great way to promote the game as it was meant to be played, with teamwork and planning, while not under a long-term commitment in a league.

I'd like to see some other contests. Here are a few ideas:

-Sniping contest: We ran this for fun a while ago. Here's what we did: Each person got a turn to cover the A site in D2. They would be equiped with something like an awp or an auto. The rest of the players would rush down long A. Normally flashes and smokes weren't allowed since it's so many on one. We also did a carnival variation where people would just run back and forth just above the pit. The Awper would get one round of bullets to hit as many as possible.

-2 v 1 round robin: We've done this some time ago. Pick a map and set up a controlled situation. For example, 1 CT camped in a site, and the 2 T's rush it. Scoring is based on how many times the CT can defend the site out of perhaps 5 tries. Each person gets a chance. Numbers/objectives can vary, however, it's easiest to score for the one person.

-Any type of tourney played in consecutive matches. For example, a 2v2 tourney, played from beginning to end, with a max of 4 teams and 7 rounds / side, not played out would move rather quickly.

-Weapon variations of any kind. This could change each week. Name it and make it your own. One week couuld be shotties, etc.

-Random draw tourneys of any size, based solely on sign-ups. See it through with 10 people or 20. People like organization. However, making it too complicated can sometimes lead to frustration. No subforums, no preplanning, just announce the teams and give them 10 minutes in spawn to discuss anything they want.

As of right now, we have a private server of at 12 slots. I will gladly up this if the need drives it.

Give this some thought, express any interest that you have or any other ideas that you feel might be worthy to kick around. Again, I need to emphasize, I'm looking for teams of TWO to take up an event and see it through for a minimum of 2 months, holding at least 4 events.

One of the event coordinators would need to be an admin, if not both.

GC Founder

The rambo one could be doable...have to do it with like 1 v 7 or something so it doesn't take too long....format could vary.

I'm not sure why it matters where OSS would be played? If we have the private server to run it, we shouldn't close a server down. My point was only that OSS has nothing to do with a stock server.

DNA
(edited)

Whitey and I do the rambo sometimes really late at night to keep the server going and light, and really helps keep the late ones in there.

I would love to help work on this, but I just do not know exactly how to setup the servers to do those tyep of setups. If I could get some training and someone to work with, now that I am only working M-F daytime I can be a lot more consistant with my GC workload. :)

We are talking about using a private server Fatty for this or are we talking stocks (just to clarify)?

Can we run certain mods, such as the game as events, etc?

I also think Ebil would be great at this too.. :)

Edited by -{ATCG}- DNA

(edited)

raw and i have been trying to get a pick up game going for once every week or every other week but at the moment we have 9 votes (including raw and me.) the server can hold 12 total so we can shoot for that at first. three more people would be nice, so if anyone else is interested, vote, reply to the thread and we'll totally get it off the ground.

i'll talk to raw about it and we'll talk to wayfarer about when we can use the private server to host the event. maybe if we announce it, more people will participate. if that doesn't work i'm sure raw and i can take charge of something else.

Edited by aMnesiac

GC Founder

Way, I hear you, I just have no idea why a scopeless event would ever find it's way onto our stock server, just doesn't make sense. That's all. It's not that I don't believe someone said it somewhere. Even if there was no private server, we wouldn't do OSS on Recrud...

Anyways, moving on.....

Server setups would be handled when the time comes, DNA, by myself or X or someone that can do that. Don't let the details get in the way of the ideas, we'll hammer those out as needed. We can make whatever you want to happen a reality, just need to get it moving.

amnesiac, post a date and woop it up.

Do you want a forum set up with you guys as moderators? If so, give me the name and some subtitle actoin. If it's 4 v 4, then it's 4 v 4. Is it for GC only? Remember, I'm talking whole community events here. If you're desiring to stay on the inside, that's a fine thing too, but for another topic.

I'm prepared to increase the slots on the new private server if we're going to use them.

M2 linked to a 2v2 tourney with up to 32 teams.

If you're going to do that, you'll have to have preset match times or you're asking for a headache. That's a great idea, but you need to be ready and willing to see it all the way through.....and ready with some strict rules about forfeits, subs, etc.....and just lay it down hard. The hardest part about the longer lasting leagues/tourneys is the organization. You could do it, and if you're breaking free in a week or two, now would be the time just to start your forum and get the interest brewing.

:smileyb: Will do I think...

Hey guys shoot me a PM (aMen, and others) so we can get the forum setup..or just post them here, but it may get this thread messy. With the forum we could keep it all nice and get it rolling.

:boing: We will not let you down Sir Fatty... <bows, and exits>

GC Founder

BTW, doing some cleanup, moved our GC TWL private forum back under our private GC CSS forums.....I want that section out there to be for public events. Help each other refind it if you get lost.

amnesiac, post a date and woop it up.

Do you want a forum set up with you guys as moderators? If so, give me the name and some subtitle actoin. If it's 4 v 4, then it's 4 v 4. Is it for GC only? Remember, I'm talking whole community events here. If you're desiring to stay on the inside, that's a fine thing too, but for another topic.

I'm prepared to increase the slots on the new private server if we're going to use them.

we wanted to see how much interest we could generate on the inside first, but both of us are ok with making it open to the public. a separate forum for the PU night would be great.

what about making a new forum in the general counter-strike source forums called "Community Events". we could have our own PU forum there and raw and i could moderate. if you don't think we'll have enough events, we can just throw it under the West FF CS:S - IMMUTABLE - San Jose forum.

raw and i will pm you with the info for the PU night and we can start a new poll/thread there announcing the date and time.

ps nice sig pic amnesiac

thanks, i like anything radiohead, those are pics of some of their band members...

the images on the left are the members individually (my username) and then on the right one pic in a group (the gamers coalition tag.)

We've had 2 mods up and running on Ebullition: VIP and Zombie Horde. The idea for VIP Night was already put forward a while back. So was running Zombie Horde on a server for a night (no link though). Neither of these were able to hold players daily but they could probably each pack a server several times a year.

->Fish' date='Aug 3 2006, 02:49 PM' post='356772']

I would like to see a bf2 server maybe even get into matches I would be glad to head up that team if there is enough interest

Fish I posted a while back about getting a server for one, I'd be glad to help in any way to pay for one and get one going.

->Fish' date='Aug 3 2006, 02:49 PM' post='356772']

I would like to see a bf2 server maybe even get into matches I would be glad to head up that team if there is enough interest

Fish I posted a while back about getting a server for one, I'd be glad to help in any way to pay for one and get one going.

BF2 is the only game I own that I wish I would play more of, the only reason I don't is because I haven't found somewhere I'm happy to play it online.

I don't think switching an existing server to BF2 is a viable option, and I believe the cost of doing so on a "once a month" basis would probably be prohibitive (I have no idea about the technicalities behind it). But if we had a GC server, I'd play there, as much, if not more than I play CSS.

GC Founder
what about making a new forum in the general counter-strike source forums called "Community Events". we could have our own PU forum there and raw and i could moderate. if you don't think we'll have enough events, we can just throw it under the West FF CS:S - IMMUTABLE - San Jose forum.

There's already a special opportunity / events forum waiting for this.