To Marry the one we love...

Contradiction

A friend and I sat down for a cup of coffee the other day and we had this long conversation about a lot of things. One of it was,

To Marry The one you love OR To Love the one you marry

I still have not been able to answer myself on this matter. I've seen many cases in my family alone where marriage came before love. It worked out very well. I know because this is my parents we're talking about. Yet, at the same time, I look around my aunts and uncles that love came before marriage. It worked out pretty well too. Not very happy, but good enough i suppose.

Tell me what you guys think? I would like some opinion on this matter.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest leo
Guest leo
Guest leo
Guests

It's simple

Marry the one you love

because you'll never have anyone like him/her every again

Guest [DW]Archaic
Guest [DW]Archaic
Guest [DW]Archaic
Guests

love can grow anywhere at anytime with anyone... there is a such thing as forced love i think, or maybe just forced obsession.

I heard it said many time (always by old people though) that love is a choice of will. That is something to think about. I believe it is true. A lot of people try to make love something that you have no control over. Your helpless to your own emotions. To some extent that can be true but not to the core. There are times when you "love" people who are unworthy of it. But in a romantical setting there was a point where you thought they were worth it. So maybe turning love off is the hard thing.. dunno.

My sister and her husband were talking once about how they heard a speaker saying that you should recite your marraige vows (it was slightly modified just in tense) every day. I thought that was kinda cool. But the idea being that you choose them anew every day.

Just throwing ideas out. I dont really have an answer.

Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guests
and why wouldn't you love the one you married?

they cheated on you?

they lied?

and why wouldn't you love the one you married?

they cheated on you?

they lied?

Well... That means you have to be really choosy about whom you choose to love.

But love can overcome even those things. That is always a bad thing. And a relationship suffers more than just the initial shock. And will usually suffer grave consequences years afterward. But love is an amazing thing. The really, REALLY tough thing about love is that it has to go two ways to live. That makes it a dicey thing. But then I think about my wife and our relationship and it appears as sure as that providential rock thingy. But if I dont cultivate it, it could be reduced to a very shaky thing.

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests
Why would you marry someone you didnt love...

Two words: Who Wants to Marry A Millionaire

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests
To Marry The one you love

I would prefer to believe I'll have the love there before I choose to get married, rather than get married and hope that the love will grow. I'll marry the one I love if I marry at all - in doing so, I will love the one I marry. If you do the first, the second comes along - however, the former is independent of the latter.

If I give my heart, I'll give it completely or not at all.  If I love somebody, I'll love them forever or not at all.

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests
Why would you marry someone you didnt love...

Two words: Who Wants to Marry A Millionaire

uh?......

:huh:

What I'm saying is, there are empty marriages every day (think Anna Nicole Smith). So I guess the answer to 'Why would you marry someone you didn't love?' is 'Because they have tons of money.' Sadly...

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

You're the lucky one, always having fun - a jack of all trades, master of none. You look at the world with a smiling eye, laugh at the devil as his train goes by... Give you a song and a one night stand and you'll be looking at a happy man cause you're the lucky one. You're blessed, I guess, by never knowing which road you're choosing. To you, the next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing.

Do I love her because she's beautiful? Or is she beautiful because I love her? Am I making believe I see in her a girl too lovely to be really true? Do I want her because she's wonderful? Or is she wonderful because I want her? Is she the sweet invention of a lover's dream? Or is she really as beautiful as she seems?

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

When you know that you know who you love, you can't deny it... or go back... or give up... or pretend that you don't buy it. When it's clear that this time you've found the one, you'll never let her go... cause you know... and you know that you know.

When you feel in your skin, in your bones, and the hollow of your heart... there's no way you can wait until tomorrow... Then there isn't any doubt about it once you've come this close... cause you know... and you know that you know.

You can feel love's around you, like the sky around the moon. This is how love has found you, now you know what to do...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guests
i am good woman. i come from ukraine. i a have much good love for american man. will you marry me?

Ya damn right I will, if you clean my house. Here's my plan. I'll marry a rich old woman who is almost dead. I'll tell her I love her until she dies, inherit her fortune and then I'll be happy.

love > money

(99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time) :ph34r:

Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guests

I would rather live in the projects/ghetto/fan with someone that I truely loved/soul mate/love of my life, than live in beverly hills with someone that I didn't love.

Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guests

if you asked me a few weeks ago, I would have said that money > love.

just crazy how your life can change like *that* in so little time...

:(8P)