Scopeless more popular than Stock?

[LaW]Maverick

Why?

There are two primary differences:

1.) The lack of scoped weapons on scopless (duh :bang: )

2.) Scopless has a wider variety of maps

So obviously we can't change number 1...but can we change number 2?

I'm thinking bring back the map survivor night idea (which was Slaugher's plan) or just throw in the most popular custom maps on scopeless on the Stock servers.

What do you guys think?

I think it may boost the population again :unsure:

I never noticed that scopeless has a bigger map rotation. I honestly feel we could use a lot more maps for scopeless as well.

I'm all for getting new maps on all the servers. But I think that your #1 reason is the biggest as to why scopeless is alot more popular. One, there's no chance of a map turning into an awpfest, and two, because it's more popular, there tends to be a lot more regs on, making teamwork easy, and the environment just alot more friendly and fun to play in.

As a side note, I want to see oss back. Oh pretty please?

Same here guys, as much as I don't think we should turn this into a whine fest about Recrud's sometime's immature players. I also agree that the people that play on Recrud are often more quiet, less open, and often play by themselves almost all the time. I don't see it as the AWP however that causes this. As I use the AWP every once and a while, I think that Recrud seems to attract the players who would rather AWP then use say an AK. Now this isn't bad, but it does seem to lower the number of players sometimes.

Also I think the map cycle does have an effect. As much as I love the classic maps, after playing the same ones for so long, I do wish that we would add a few maps to Recrud. I remember when I played Recrud a bit a go where I wouldn't play the same map more then twice a day (on the days when I played all day).

[/rant]

Mayhem's mapcycle might not be longer, but the presence of admins and a large number of maps loaded on the server make the rotation largely meaningless during the prime gaming hours. Lately I have seen Mayhem stay packed for several custom maps in a row even in the late afternoon. Not just widely-known customs either, which is a great thing.

Project Mayhem has a certain conceptual integrity that goes back a long way. To make a simple analogy, if you open up a shop that just sells really good grilled cheese sandwiches, eventually everyone who likes grilled cheese will make their way there. Recrudescence has its own tradition, and has attracted its own crowd over time. A lot of the regs there might be receptive to customs, but a lot might not be. Getting some organized events going like Map Survivor would probably be good, but working even a few customs into everyday play on Recrud will probably take some time, and mean losing some players and gaining some new ones.

One thing to think about is if rockthevote (or a admin initiated vote) is started that most people will choose to play the big three all most every time (big three = dust2, aztec, and office). This makes for a REALLY boring map cycle. In my opinion we should leave the map choosing to the gc community ahead of time and try not to have either user or admin initiated votes (well as few as possible). :o

if maps are the problem--type 'listmaps' in chat. it shows you all maps available on the server. then take advantage of the .gc/admin-only chat to request playing something other than nextmap.

imo, the rotation is really only there for when admins aren't. other than that, leave it up to the admins to make good decisions about the nextmap.

wave.gif

http://game-monitor.com/search.php?search=...amp;type=server

...but, it's not an us vs. them. each server is unique in and fun to different people for different reasons. i'm stoked to be part of .gc, and glad we've got such a diverse gamer base.

ideas are always welcome, and it's always fun to have some fresh ideas tossed around (or bring back past ideas). keep em coming!

SJ's got the key point I think. Each server has its own traditions, atmosphere and just general feel.

Mayhem's main theme is customs and noscope. Making Recrud have the popular customs from Mayhem would hurt both servers in the long run I think. It'd change Recrud from what makes it unique and take away part of what makes Mayhem, Mayhem.

The map survivor would be an interesting idea though. It was a big event for Recrud in the past.

Also, speaking of the mapcycle on Mayhem and it being a little short... Uhm, yeah... someone's been dragging their feet on this one.

<looks around quickly then glances at wrist> WHoa, look at the time, I uh... gotta go

<runs from the room>

rofl.

Berge kinda hit on what I wanted to add.

Scopeless has always had its own "following". And thats a good thing!

The community there is very tight-knit, and "family-ish".

Those things count for a lot in the gaming world, and are a real testament to the hard work of Mayhem's Lead Admins.

Berge brings up the point I was trying to make in the begginning....that is that there just neds to be more maps...not necessarily custom ones, though I'd like to see some added, but the cycle is short and without vareity.

Heck, I hated it, but I'd even like to play some ol' oil-rig. And what was the map that was almost impossible for CT's where they started across a bridge and could either go down a gorge to travel underneath this underground complex thing to ride an elevator up, or they could go down the road and try to enter though the underground garage? I miss that map...it was always such a challenge being a CT on...it's even harder than the one with the house and the name I can't remember either right now :bang::bang:

Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Maverick' date='Sep 26 2006, 06:35 PM' post='368270']

Why?

There are two primary differences:

1.) The lack of scoped weapons on scopless (duh :bang: )

2.) Scopless has a wider variety of maps

So obviously we can't change number 1...but can we change number 2?

I'm thinking bring back the map survivor night idea (which was Slaugher's plan) or just throw in the most popular custom maps on scopeless on the Stock servers.

What do you guys think?

I think it may boost the population again :unsure:

Scopeless also has me, and i don't mean to brag, but thats the main reason people come to Scopeless. Your information is thusly skewed. all hope is not lost, however, i will try to come to the other servers.

. . .