APPLES

Magruter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are we not eating last seasons apples I heard that most are stored in carbon monoxcide for a year? I maybe totally wrong here though

oh and a apple crisp casserole rocks the world

APPLE CRISP

4 or 5 cooking apples, peel & slice

1/3 tsp. cinnamon

6 tbsp. water

1 tsp. lemon juice, fresh or frozen

3/4 c. sugar

1/2 c. sifted all-purpose flour

1/8 tsp. salt

1/4 c. butter

Put apple slices into a greased medium sized baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon and pour in water and lemon juice.

TOPPING:

Mix sugar, flour and salt together in a bowl, blend in butter. Mixture will look like cornmeal. Cover apples and push mixture over surface evenly. Bake 40 minutes or until crust is crisp and apples are tender, in 350 degree oven. Serve hot or cold. Delicious with whipped cream or ice cream.

Apple Storage Technologies

Crunchy, munchy U.S. apples are available year-round because of the advent of a type of cold storage technology called controlled atmosphere storage.

Our atmosphere is 21% oxygen, 0.25% carbon dioxide, plus nitrogen and other minor gases. Like humans, apples breathe (aka ripening!), and thus depend on oxygen and release carbon dioxide. Any interference with and/or slowing of the intake of oxygen will slow down the apples' natural ripening process. This is where the high-tech science of storing apples comes in!

The U.S. apple industry uses two types of storage technology to ensure that you receive the best-quality apples at any time of year: regular, cold storage for short-term storage, and special, controlled atmosphere storage for longer storage.

Cold Storage: Each year, growers pick their apples at just the right time in their ripening cycle, when they are firm and will hold over a period of time, but aren't sour or starchy. The apples are then rushed to cold storage warehouses, consisting of large refrigerated storerooms, where the temperature is kept at 32 degrees and high humidity is maintained. This cold temperature slows down but does not stop the ripening process. Hence, most apples put in regular cold storage are sold by late January or early February. Regular cold storage is less expensive than controlled atmosphere storage.

Controlled Atmosphere Storage: Remembering that apples take in oxygen and give off carbon dioxide, in 1940 Dr. Robert Smock of Cornell University experimented with reducing oxygen and increasing carbon dioxide in storage facilities, resulting in the development of a new storage technology called controlled atmosphere (CA) storage. CA storage requires air-tight, refrigerated warehouse rooms that are sealed after the apples are placed inside. The oxygen content in the storeroom air is reduced from 21% to 2.5%, and the carbon dioxide level is increased from 0.25% to 2-5%, and high humidity is maintained.

The CA process radically reduces the ripening process, thus allowing us to provide great-tasting U.S. apples year-round. Since CA storage is more costly per bushel, only the very best apples are put into this type of storage. CA storages are opened and converted to regular cold storage rooms usually after the first of the year, depending on demand and supply conditions.

http://www.usapple.org/consumers/storage.cfm

whaaa...that's not a +1, +1 is used when someone gets a sweet comeback or is the clear winner of a verbal match...check the IP unban request topic for a good use of +1.

(which btw is amazingly off topic....)

Thats it! No more correcting my posts! I can think of another half dozen that everybody could pick apart.

whaaa...that's not a +1, +1 is used when someone gets a sweet comeback or is the clear winner of a verbal match...check the IP unban request topic for a good use of +1.

(which btw is amazingly off topic....)

Thats it! No more correcting my posts! I can think of another half dozen that everybody could pick apart.

:D

<3 geek.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...