anyone looking for a GREAT deal on a 939 dual core???

Cujo

Are there any benchmarks out there for how much better dual cores will work on Vista?

I'd be curious to see what kind of differences there would be going from a 4000+ to a dual core.

in my experience (been using vista for a month and a half) there is no difference with dual core in vista and xp. xp was built to support multiple processor threads. the big thing is games and other applications that run in the operating system need to be optimized or designed to multithread.

I don't feel too badly. I paid $329 for my 4800+ back in april...(special on newegg).

I've already OC'd it to 2.5 (modest, but it is a stable starting point) so I won't complain.

Too bad AMD has given such a weak release of AM2 parts so quickly after making the duals widely available and affordable.

Only advantage of AM2 is DDR2 support (by advantage, I mean increased in performance for applications, but not for games...and that's what we're all interested in, right?). DDR2 with similar timings to high end DDR cost twice as much...so what's the point? I almost see AM2 as a joke.

Quad cores are coming for AMD soon, and are already viable for intel..

Since the core 2 duo and core 2 extreme trounce AMD, why bother?

You can already buy a Core 2 that outperforms any socket AM2 for the same (or more often) less $$$.

All of that, coming from an Athlon fan for the past 3 years... :(

For the near future, for bang for the $$$, I recommend core 2.

im thinking about getting a dual core now. It would cost to much to get a conroe, new mobo and new ram, and fortunately I bought a low end 3200+ when I decided to get a PCI-E mobo.

Are there any benchmarks out there for how much better dual cores will work on Vista?

I'd be curious to see what kind of differences there would be going from a 4000+ to a dual core.

Lol Unclean that's exactly what I'm coming from :D

allanon, i answered that question above. they will work the same on vista as with xp. it's the other programs that need to take advantage of it.

What's that saying about great minds? :P