Dang, man. We're small.

JackieChan

According to my pastor, the earth, our galaxy, and our universe is 6,000 years old...what gives?

I read it was around 10,000 to 12,000 actually. When carbon dating is set to the parameters of ten thousand to twelve thousand years old the carbon dating matches perfectly of what the bible says. Coincidence? no.

According to my pastor, the earth, our galaxy, and our universe is 6,000 years old...what gives?

I read it was around 10,000 to 12,000 actually. When carbon dating is set to the parameters of ten thousand to twelve thousand years old the carbon dating matches perfectly of what the bible says. Coincidence? no.

LOL

Space is so amazing. It blows my mind. I wish I could zoom in on some spot in space and see a bunch of things..

But with all those different galaxies, all those different stars, and all those different planets.. There just HAS to be atleast one if not hundreds of thousands containing intelligent life..

As the human race learns more and more every day, we certainly will come across a ground-breaking discovery about space that could change life forever.

That's why I'm an atheist Tek :)

Oh and awesome stuff, I love going from a view of the known universe to the inside of a proton

Science ftw! :luxhello:

LOL

Seriously, I watched a 3 hour movie on dating noahs ark with carbon dating. When they used carbon dating the results were outrageous. When they put the carbon dating in the parameters that the world is between 10 and 12 thousand years old the date matched the bibles history dates.

Seriously, I watched a 3 hour movie on dating noahs ark with carbon dating. When they used carbon dating the results were outrageous. When they put the carbon dating in the parameters that the world is between 10 and 12 thousand years old the date matched the bibles history dates.

Yeah that wood they found at the top of Mt Ararat? They can't prove it's noah's ark...and even if they could, the Vatican would deny it.

Haven't you guys figured this out yet?

God created everything, and made it so that all empirical evidence will point to the big bang. It's a test. If you believe in God even when the proof is irrefutable, then you get into Heaven.

I'm going to hell.

That's why I love Stargate SG-1, since all the deities of man are based on different species which have visited Earth such as the Ghoa'uld who impersonate the gods and use them to enslave man, while as there is the azguard who use the beliefs of norse mythology to protect man. While as the technology is so far advanced, humans believe them to be gods.

Now, I'm not saying that people's beliefs are personified aliens who came to Earth, I'm just saying that much of Religion is trying to use a omnipotent power such as God to understand things that we don't know.

"beem me up scotty there is no intelligent life down here!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0412/feature4/

Did You Know?

Infinite Worlds

Four hundred years ago an advocate of the idea that planets orbited stars other than our sun was burned at the stake. Giordano Bruno, a rebellious, independent Dominican monk (until he was kicked out of the order) further infuriated religious leaders by asserting in the late 16th century that beings like men inhabited these other worlds.

Earlier philosophers pondered the plurality of worlds with less dire consequences. In fifth-century B.C. Greece, atomists, men who proposed that reality consisted of indestructible atoms and the empty space around them, emerged. Little remains of the writings of Leucippus, thought to be the originator of atomist philosophy, but we know his student Democritus proposed:

"There are innumerable worlds which differ in size. In some worlds there is no sun and moon, in others they are larger than in our world, and in others more numerous. They are destroyed by colliding with each other. There are some worlds without any living creatures, plants, or moisture."

Inspired by the atomists, the epicurians, who stressed the intellectual pleasures of natural science, furthered the thinking on alien worlds in the late fourth and early third centuries B.C. Epicurus, the founder, summarized his teachings in a letter to Herodotus:

"There is an infinite number of worlds, some like this world, some unlike it. For the atoms being infinite in number, as has just been proved, are borne ever further in their course. For the atoms out of which a world might arise, or by which a world might be formed, have not all been expended on one world or a finite number or worlds, whether like or unlike this one. Hence there will be nothing to hinder an infinity of worlds."

Aristotle came along with a one-liner in his On the Heavens (Book 1, chapter 8) in the middle of the fourth century B.C.: "There cannot be more worlds than one." The debate continued for some 1,300 years until the discovery of planets around a sunlike star in 1995. It must be heartening to today's thinkers, planet-hunters, and biologists that they pursue their dream of finding a planet like our own around another sun without fear of burning at the stake.

â€â€Barbara W. McConnell

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/index.php

What is SETI@home?

SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.

one more thing-----

The Drake Equation

N = R * f p n e f l f i f c L

Where,

N = The number of civilizations in The Milky Way Galaxy whose radio emissions are detectable.

R* = The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.

f p = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.

n e = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.

fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.

f i = The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.

f c = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.

L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.