Suspensions For Internet Personals.

ShadowDog

A school near me (private catholic school) named Beaumont suspended 1/4 of the Junior class for any pictures they were in or displaying alcohol or drugs.

i dont support alcohol or drugs, but thats freaking rediculous.

First they made an account and tricked the kids to being friends with them so they can see their profiles and such, then they handed out suspensions the next week.

Fatty, no idea what your saying? o.O

Mookie, Beaumont School For Girls. its a catholic school. like i don't disagree that they should be suspended, but then again its their own personal "sites" that has nothing to do with the school.

Do you know if the suspensions are in school or out of school?

It seems odd that a school would punish partiers by giving them a few days off of school... :unsure:

Happens all the time in Minnesota.

I wonder if the school can get sued over this? I mean, isn't that an invasion of privacy? Using a picture from their website to incriminate them?

I can see them suspending them if the picture was taken at the school and alcohol was in their hands. But they have no right to punish them for what they do outside their walls.

Are they going to make the girls dress appropriately out of school?!

Edited by TheGeek

Do you know if the suspensions are in school or out of school?

It seems odd that a school would punish partiers by giving them a few days off of school... :unsure:

Happens all the time in Minnesota.

I wonder if the school can get sued over this? I mean, isn't that an invasion of privacy? Using a picture from their website to incriminate them?

I can see them suspending them if the picture was taken at the school and alcohol was in their hands. But they have no right to punish them for what they do outside their walls.

Are they going to make the girls dress appropriately out of school?!

thats why this baffles me... this is a rich girls school... so somethings obviously going to happen.

most private schools (especially religiously affiliated ones) require the student and the students parent to sign agreements that they will refrain from certain activities while attending the school (i.e. their entire high school career...not just when on school grounds).

If the school has something like that...there's no way the school can be sued over this.

I went to a private school where things like this happened at times. Someone would "inform" a teacher or parent about a situation and those students would then be interviewed to get their side of the story and if they were found "guilty" they got in trouble.

I have no sympathy for those girls at all anyway.

Sounds to me like 1/4 of the students got a free lesson in being stupid.

Hey ShadowDog, Mookie is 100% correct. Police across the country are doing the same thing to underage drinkers. Theyll get pictures off their Facebook or Myspace accounts as use this as evidence that they are either drinking underage or that they are supplying alcohol to underage drinkers. There is nothing illegal about this. Those girls are lucky theyre just being suspended, rather then arrested or fined.

yeah, i went to a really nice private high school and they can suspend/expel students for whatever reason they want. now, if this was a public school, thatd be way different. all anyone can do is petition or bring public outcry, and hope that the school will bend to the pressure.

like my school was a christian school that had no jewish teachers. the public got wind of this and certain colleges said that they would stop accepting student from there unless policy was changed. and it was changed.

so, private schools can basically do whatever they really want. thats the freedom you give up for going to a private school.

yikes! ill take my pics off now ... lol

i think its a little over kill but i guess if 1/4th of the class of JR's thats crazy... but prob 3/4 of the jrs here do stuff like that.. I think of myspace as my (personal) page not the school administration..

We should all be held accountable for our actions no matter where we are. I guess it comes down to who holds us accountable? I think it's kinda cool that the teachers/principals take that much interest in their students making right (at least lawful) decisions.

I'm going to be a teacher in 2 years (I'm going to school to teach math right now at I/S level). If I'm caught at a strip club at 12 midnight saturday night, I can get fired. Good thing I dont go to strip clubs. :)

Edited by DarkArchon

Think about it like this: If you could put a few pictures of yourself, for free, in this Sunday's local newspaper, what would be appropriate for you to put in there?

Now, consider the fact that there are a few more subscribers to the Internet than to your local newspaper.

I have no sympathy for the girls who got suspended. If they did in fact sign that waver, then they diserve it. I was just giving my opinion not knowing there was such an agreement.

In my high school (while I went) one starting basketball player got kicked off the team because he bragged what he did with girls at parties. Even though he was arguably one of the best players.

Yah ShadowDog the school had the right to do that. Most of the users on Myspace and Facebook, use it as they want, but do not think that other people are watching even though most likely, they are. I also read an article in PC magazine Mook about the growing trend in businesses that check possible employees Facebook and Myspace sites. If the girls didn't want this to happen they should have a) not done it in the first place, or B) not put it up on display.