So Umm.... Beer ?

ZeroDamage

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)
If you dont like beer. Blue moon is for you order it with either orange or lemon to squeez in it takes away the nastyness. And will look impressive silly.

fixt.

real beer does not require fruit to make it drinkable :D

Edited by boilersax

if you gotta drink a "real" beer <glances at mags>, make it a guiness. if there's a (single) lady in the group, be the man that orders a glass of cabernet.

I'm only gunna say this once...(for the 10th time it seems, actually)

GUINNESS...

Two N's

Let's make this clear: The ONLY reason a lime or lemon is EVER put in to a beer is BECAUSE it kills the flavour. Squeeze a citrus in to a beer and it will taste like water. That's how you know a beer is absolutely terrible. If it's got a lime, it tastes like grime.

I see we've gotten to the point of black & tans and other Guinness drinks. Guinness actually used to recommend pouring its pride into your usual beer to make it taste better. Black and tans are usually an ale (or lager if you're French) mixed with a stout (Guinness) and are quite tasty (as long as you use a good ale).

I see we've mentioned some very good beers here...I'd like to point out two other beers that I occasionally drink (oh I'm far from Irish zd...I am a British citizen though and my father grew up in London, which is where I get not only my quick dry wit but my unquenchable thirst for thick molasses like brew).

2391.jpgOld Speckled Hen is a very sharp ale that takes some serious getting used to. If you've never had it before it kinda kicks you in the giblets the first time. After that you think about it while with the wife! :biglaugha:

Fuller_s_London_Pride-resized200.jpgNow Fuller's London Pride is purported to be the best beer in Britain and have won such an award five times since the mid 90's. Now I wouldn't go and say that London Pride is better than Guinness, but more so on par in their separate categories. Unfortunately London Pride is devilishly difficult to acquire off the tap and it really suffers from being shoved (unwillingly I might add) into a can.

guinness.jpgg7.jpgguinness3.jpg

guinness_lg.jpgguinness2.jpg

So, before I get home tonight, I plan on stopping and trying out a few of these to see if I like any of them. Having grown up in Maine and having greatly enjoyed the taste of "Moxie" I am fairly sure I can find a beer or two that can be enjoyable. Sounds like Guinness is on the top of the last as is:

1. Guinness if I can find it around here.

2. Sam Adams Boston Lager

3. Newcastle

I guess I will give these 3 a try first. I am sure since this is a college town that there is a liquor store or two somewhere around. Thanks for the input everyone. Keep them coming if you have any recommendations.

ZD, im very curious to what town you live in. You said it was southwest Va... then you say its a college town. Did we live in the same town for my 5 years of college?

Those are three good beers, but I doubt you will like them if you haven't acquired a taste. Also a great beer that is hard to find around southwest Va is Magic Hat. I was up in blacksburg last weekend and I found a few bars that have that on tap.

You also might want to try Blue Moon.. its not a MANS beer, but I think it is pretty tasty... and one more, stop by any grocery store and you will probably find a hefeweizen. Its a wheat beer. I have found almost all hefeweizen beers taste the same and I really like them. It will more than likely be in a yellow case

Also a great beer that is hard to find around southwest Va is Magic Hat. I was up in blacksburg last weekend and I found a few bars that have that on tap.
and one more, stop by any grocery store and you will probably find a hefeweizen. Its a wheat beer. I have found almost all hefeweizen beers taste the same and I really like them. It will more than likely be in a yellow case

You mean like this? Y'all need to come back to New England, #9 is really easy to find in package stores.

magichat-circusboy-bottle.jpg

ZD, im very curious to what town you live in. You said it was southwest Va... then you say its a college town. Did we live in the same town for my 5 years of college?

Those are three good beers, but I doubt you will like them if you haven't acquired a taste. Also a great beer that is hard to find around southwest Va is Magic Hat. I was up in blacksburg last weekend and I found a few bars that have that on tap.

You also might want to try Blue Moon.. its not a MANS beer, but I think it is pretty tasty... and one more, stop by any grocery store and you will probably find a hefeweizen. Its a wheat beer. I have found almost all hefeweizen beers taste the same and I really like them. It will more than likely be in a yellow case

Yeah, I live in Christiansburg now. Only been here a couple of months. Work at the same place as Dweez although I have yet to meet him. Yep, I work at VT.

Anyway, I remember seeing Magic Hat when I lived in Maine. Yep, I miss the place since that is where most of my friends are. I miss Moxie too but that is a story for another day. (try mixing that with some vodka. yum)

I will take a look for that as well, the hefeweizen stuff.

cool. I have a friend who is a network engineer for VT. I lived in Radford for 5 years, did my time and now Im gone. Im orginally from that area. Hillsville if you have ever heard of it.

I like MGD....Yummmmmmm!

And just because everyone is drinking beer at a social function, it doesn't mean you have to. I enjoy my beer but lately I've been drinking vodka gimlets....damn chief got me hooked on them in vegas.

I tend to enjoy the micro brews better than any other. In these parts Capital Brewery, Leinenkugel's and Spotted Cow are some of the favorites.

i agree. A good tasty Leinenkugel's is Berry wiess not very high in alcohol but very tasty.

I see we've gotten to the point of black & tans and other Guinness drinks. Guinness actually used to recommend pouring its pride into your usual beer to make it taste better. Black and tans are usually an ale (or lager if you're French) mixed with a stout (Guinness) and are quite tasty (as long as you use a good ale).

Ale's and Lagers are different, lagers are brewed at colder temperatures for longer periods of time with more yeast.

Ale's and Lagers are different, lagers are brewed at colder temperatures for longer periods of time with more yeast.

FWIW, a stout like Guiness already is an ale. Pour it into a medium or pale ale to make a black and tan.

FWIW, a stout like Guiness already is an ale. Pour it into a medium or pale ale to make a black and tan.

Yes, Stouts and Porters are dark ales. Lagers are fairly American, pilsner beers are lagers.

speaking of beer, I shall repost this.. Im going to stop buy, pick up a 12 pack and sit on my couch while this happens

lol that would be awsome.. :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:

Yes, Stouts and Porters are dark ales. Lagers are fairly American, pilsner beers are lagers.

There are some serious styles of lager out there like bock and schwarzbier. Supposedly monks used to drink doppelbock when fasting; the stuff is around 500 calories per (imperial) pint. Tomorrow is a fast day BTW.