• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nuke train strike dust2 dust losttemplepro mill russka rush office = alright

siena nightfever italy = terrible

siena > rush

italy will never leave

everything > rush > nightfever > siena > italy

Customs should always be in the rotation somewhere, IMO the more the better. :)

siena and nightfever are terrible maps, even if they are custom...Id rather play 24/7 office than play siena or nightfever

Customs should always be in the rotation somewhere, IMO the more the better. :)

siena and nightfever are terrible maps, even if they are custom...Id rather play 24/7 office than play siena or nightfever

siena is something i can live with, but nightfever is horrid. :disgust:

I'm not familliar with siena, but don't mind nightfever (if I'm thinking of the same map) mightfever seems to be t-sided, but I've seen some good matches there.

main point is, customs add much needed variety to an otherwise very repetitive game.

I can almost guarantee that without the ability for people to make custom maps, people wouldn't still be playing cs as much as they do. How many times can you play the same stock maps before you get bored and go find another game?

True, not all customs are created equal, nor all of them good. But not all stock maps are good either (italy, and piranesi as prime examples of the later)

Variety is good. :)

Edited by Wolfsblood

Siena is tough for Ts.

If you go right you have a little corridor to go up and a little window to get your whole team through. The window also has a rope which requires you to climb. As we all know it's impossible to rush with a whole team when a climbing device is involved.

The center is a little corridor also. Even you get out of the corridor there is a second story window right there covered with vines that makes it hard to tell if people are in it or not. If you aren't familiar with the map you wouldn't even know it's there. If you survive this point you have to go left and under go the gauntlet or right and hope you flank some CTs sitting in the spawn point waiting for your teammates to come the other direction.

When you go the left side from spawn you get pummeled by CTs in the windows and the CTs who are watching the middle can easily turn to their right and shoot all the way to the entrance of B, shooting the Ts in the back. Then when you do get in the bomb site and plant the CTs can come from like, 10 directions! All through the windows and coming from where you came and through their spawn... I hate it...

I don't mind Nightfever much. It's not a map I would go out of my way to play, but when it comes up in rotation I play through it.

(edited)

Alright, think about this. When picking maps for competitive play, a general rule to live by is the number of entrances into a bombsite. The standard is two entrances into one bombsite, and three into another. On dust2 there are 2 entrances to B, and 3 to A (counting ct-spawn), russka = 3 into a, and 2 into b... prodigy and dust 1 were removed from competitive play for this rule.

On Siena I counted 4 entrances to one site, and 6 to the other. On nightfever its similar. These maps are too convoluted and complex to encourage team play. Its not about side balance or graphics, the maps are just too complex to be good. Any joe shmuk can rush with a p90 and flank, because he has 1000 different flanking routes to choose from, and even a team working together won't be able to watch all of the flank routes.

This is why I have fairly few complaints about rush, two entrances to a, three into b.

note: this is why piranesi is also terrible....as far as italy and office, hostages are too hard of an objective to deal with (you cant just reach the hosties and guard them lol) so i generally dislike cs_ maps as a rule

Edited by tookey

Alright, think about this. When picking maps for competitive play, a general rule to live by is the number of entrances into a bombsite. The standard is two entrances into one bombsite, and three into another.

Interesting, I used to think the opposite was true. The more ways to bombsites, the easier it'd be for the T's. I'd be interested in seeing what our current map rotation looks like in regards to this standard. Does an entrance count if you have to go through the other bombsite to get there? Like cbbl: 2 into A, 1 into B, or is it 3/2? I always thought it had something to do with the size of the entrance vs. the size of the area from which the entrance can be covered, e.g., how easy it is to cover the only entry points vs. how hard it is for the other team to secure entry.

Edited by Bewildered

siena is a keeper, nightfever is ok, inferno... now there is something that needs the ax! i'd like to see prodigy go in, and dust come out [dust2 can stay.. even though it's played on every cs server everywhere "24/7" lol], dust is just awful and it kills the server. i used to really like cobble but not anymore. ps unlock the autosniper

Alright, think about this. When picking maps for competitive play, a general rule to live by is the number of entrances into a bombsite. The standard is two entrances into one bombsite, and three into another.

Interesting, I used to think the opposite was true. The more ways to bombsites, the easier it'd be for the T's. I'd be interested in seeing what our current map rotation looks like in regards to this standard. Does an entrance count if you have to go through the other bombsite to get there? Like cbbl: 2 into A, 1 into B, or is it 3/2? I always thought it had something to do with the size of the entrance vs. the size of the area from which the entrance can be covered, e.g., how easy it is to cover the only entry points vs. how hard it is for the other team to secure entry.

On cobble there are two into B (from inside t-side, and from ct spawn connecter), and there are three into A (A-halls, mid, and connector)...the object of map design is not to make it easier for the T's, but to make it fair for both sides and as competitive as possible. Of course this is impossible, and as play-styles evolve, maps become one sided (Inferno and Cobble are ct-sided due to ease of rotation, dust 2 is t-sided for the opposite reason).

If you look at cal and cevo's schedules, all of the maps are like this. Usually the 3/2 does include ct-spawn, as did my 4/7 counts for siena and nightfever. On these maps its too complicated for a group of 2 or 3 people to hold a bombsite either as ct's, or as t's after bomb is planted.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
prime 5pm-1am

de_cpl_fire

de_inferno

de_aztec

de_russka

de_train

cs_office

de_nuke

de_strike_rc3

de_season

de_dust2

de_cpl_mill

de_cbble

de_piranesi

cs_italy

not bad, a lot better, but to be honest italy and piranesi both are still terrible :D what happened to lost temple and contra?

Edited by tookey

• 1 month later...

I think the bigger problem than the rotation is the map votes that start near the end of a map. We played Office at least 3 times yesterday in a two hour period. I can not remember the last time we played Fire or Russka. Also, Lost Temple 2 beta is a worthy map for rotation or at least night time votes. But please, some change up in the rotation and the votes would be nice, some of us are really sick of Office.

And by the way, MILL IS BROKEN! No matter what, it tells everyone that the versions do not match.

I think the bigger problem than the rotation is the map votes that start near the end of a map. We played Office at least 3 times yesterday in a two hour period. I can not remember the last time we played Fire or Russka. Also, Lost Temple 2 beta is a worthy map for rotation or at least night time votes. But please, some change up in the rotation and the votes would be nice, some of us are really sick of Office.

And by the way, MILL IS BROKEN! No matter what, it tells everyone that the versions do not match.

I hear ya there -- I miss Fire and Russka.

Now, the voting is part of an earlier rotation though right? I thought we didn't vote at night unless an admin threw up a vote. Still, it feels like I play the same maps over and over and over and over and over again. Sick of office, sick of gettin azteced. Dust2 gets old, but I'd rather play it 24-7 then have to endure 7 uncoordinated rounds of death on on Aztec, cbble, or inferno.

I know its possible to have good games on these maps. Maybe we should be talkin about how to get some better coordination going. Maybe some map strategy discussions would help? I don't know anymore. Sometimes it seems like we just waste our 5 or so seconds at the beginning of a round complaining about the previous round. I just know that I hate playin some of these maps because without a coordinated team, we just get skunked. Four or five of these maps in a row makes for a bad night and makes me want to witch about the map cycle; and it doesn't help that the worst of these maps are one right after the other.