Do you like to read?

Xoul

Me, I love to read. I've read alot of books in the last year and more. I read, the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind, I just got caught up on the Magician series by Raymond E. Fiest, and now im on Wheel of time, by Robert Jordan. I really like all of these authors. I recommend them all.

Raymond E. Feist is really good but I thought the Sword of Truth books were just down right terrible. I can't remember which book I stopped at but it was the one where we switched off to some other group of people and this boring political climate in that particular city. Over all, I found his writing to be just downright bad.

The Wheel of Time books were pretty good. It got to the point though that I just skipped the chapters about the women, they did nothing but complain about the men. I get that at home, I don't need to read about it as well heh :)

Shaftiel

Dean Koontz is prolly my favorite author. I also like Grisham and Robin Cook. Occasionally I will read something by Clancy or a less known author Brad Meltzer. Meltzer has a simlar sense of humor as mine. The 10th Justice is awesome.

My favorite Christian authors are Tim Lahaye (Left Behind series and Babylon Rising) and Jerry Jenkins (The Pursuit of Holiness - very challenging book and of course he co-authored the Left Behind series)

I also greatly enjoy classic literature as anyone who has ever been to my home can attest I have an EXTENSIVE collection of classic writings. I have hundreds of books, from Homer to Shakespear, Kipling, Browning, Tolstoi to Em,erson. I also enjoy books by Mark Twain and Charles Dickens (Great Expectations is my fav)

I read about 3-4 books per month plus I use other books as study materials for Bible studies and the like. I also read 4 chapters per day in the Bible just for fun and proffit ;)

I read alot.

yep.

if you like Wheel of Time, check out George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire saga. It's like a less "magical" version of Wheel of Time with less annoying characters (for reference sake I LOVE Wheel of Time. I have read and reread the series 9 times.)

Also read Robin Hobb. She has some of the most realistic, understandable characters I've ever read in my life. Specifically check out her Liveship trilogy (starts with Ship of Magic).

dooo eeet!

Last book I read was "Last Templar: By Raymond Khoury" and I loved it, puts the Davinci Code to shame.

Never knew you were such a fan of fiction Preach...wow! (lol actually surprised you can read...sorry...couldn't resist!! I wub you! :hug: )

I like to read too, but now I have so many tech books I need to read that I never make time to read fun stuff. I've read most of the author's mentioned -- although the last WoT book I finished was Book 7. Someday, I will buy the whole thing on CD and listen to it in the car an the way to and from work, starting from the beginning.

I recommend Pompeii, if you ever get a chance. The story is told in an incredibly mechanical fashion, such that computer/engineering geeks, like I assume a lot of us are, would enjoy. The last half-hour or so is downright amazing as he ticks down to the end. Books like this -- that I probably don't have the attention span to read by myself -- I listen to the audio version.

While I enjoy a good story between good and evil, I tend to stay away from Christian authors like Tim Lahaye.

However, I love sci-fi and fantasy authors, including Terry Brooks, Frank Herbert, R.A. Salvatore, and others... though for some reason I couldn't get through the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan.

... though for some reason I couldn't get through the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan.

Probably because there are too many words -- man o man is that guy wordy. Reading it reminds me of a quote from Amadeus:

Emperor Joseph II: My dear young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect.

Mozart: Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

I loved Wheel of Time...I'm listening to it during my commute to work (thought I've already ready them all)

I'm going to post this up again for those of us that love Sci-Fi READ BATTLEFIELD EARTH BY L. RON HUBBARD!!!! Yes, I know Scientology is crazy, and yes I know that he was the founder, and yes I know that it was one of the worst movies of all time...but it's one of my favorite books of all time. Give it a shot, I haven't met a single person that has read it that doesn't like it.

I'm reading Sword of Shanara right now...it's ok...his writing style is a bit choppy. Not the plot or the story, but he's somewhat lacking with transition and what not. It hops from perspective to perspective in a random fashion, which could be fun...but there needs to be greater delineation between them. The story is good though, so I'm still reading. Also, I like the characters.

I've been thinking 'bout reading Goodkind...

If you ever get a chance (which will be difficult) to read the Martian Tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs...do it...it's a fun read!

The other Author that needs mention here is Orson Scott Card...he's incredible. Oh, and Terry Pratchet is like Monty Python in writing...it's hilarious....

English major/writer = I read a whole heck of a lot :peace:

It seems to Mav, that Sword of Shannara and his other books in his first series, Elfstones of Shannara, and Wishshong of Shannara, while good, definitely reveal how far his writing style has come. While I love the story in those books, with the exception of Wishshong, his writing really gets good in his more recent series like Journey of the Jerle Shannara.

For people who like swords and soccery type books I'd reccomend Dave Duncan's Seventh Sword Trilogy.

.... wow this makes me feel old, they came out alomst 20 years ago.

The Reluctant Swordsman (1988), ISBN 0-345-35291-2

The Coming of Wisdom (1988), ISBN 0-345-35292-0

The Destiny of the Sword (1988), ISBN 0-345-35293-9

(edited)

Silverlock by John Myers Myers is a great story, look it up and read it. You will be a better person for it heh :). Glory Road, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein... actually most of his books are good. As Mav said, the John Carter of Mars saga by Edgar Rice Burroughs was really good, and actually, the Tarzan books are very intertaining as well. I also like Roger Zelazny's Amber Chronicles and Mad Wand stories, as well as the Delvish the Damned series. Andre Norton has some really amazing books like the Witch World series and about two hundred other books, that woman could write heh. Issac Asimov's Robot series, Foundation series... just to many great books to mention by this guy. Peirs Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series, as well as his Xanth novels are very intertaining. Larry Niven's ringworld series and Man-Kzin books are good as well. Just so many great books out there heh :).

Shaftiel

Edited by shaftiel

Ah!!! Zelzanzy! How could I have forgotten!

I've read The Great Book of Amber twice. That's every Amber book combined into one volume. Those were absolutely amazing.

Also Starship Troopers by Heinlien (spelling?) was fantastic. Completely different from the movie, though both are satires.

A little known book that I liked a whole lot is Amor by John Steakley. Very good, and more 'bout the combat side of things than Starship Troopers. I liked it anyway.

Allanon: thanks for the info, that encourages me to read further as I'm not overly impressed with his writing style as of yet. However, I've read writers before that started similarly. Like I said, I like the story so far! :-)

Also read Robin Hobb. She has some of the most realistic, understandable characters I've ever read in my life. Specifically check out her Liveship trilogy (starts with Ship of Magic).

dooo eeet!

I did not much care for that side story but her first and 3rd trilogy that revolved around the assassin and his wolf were some of the best I've ever read. Loved the books and the story.

I'm reading Sword of Shanara right now...it's ok...his writing style is a bit choppy. Not the plot or the story, but he's somewhat lacking with transition and what not. It hops from perspective to perspective in a random fashion, which could be fun...but there needs to be greater delineation between them. The story is good though, so I'm still reading. Also, I like the characters.

That is his hardest book to read but it was also his first and it took him years to finish writing it. Once you get past it and into the Elf Stones of Shannara and the rest of the books, they only get better. Do not judge his writing on his first book from 1976-1977 since I consider him the best fantasy author alive today.

Yeah, Roger Zelazny's Amber chronicles are one of if not the best story ever told in the world of fantasy/sci-fi. I've read it a few times now and I always love it when I forget much of the story and can go back to read it again. His imagination in this series far surpasses any sci-ci type of story that I've ever read or seen in the movies. The way he mixes everything together so perfectly is just mind boggling.

Another great author that I've really enjoyed is Mercedes Lackey. The only two series that I've read so far are the "Dragon Jousters" series and the "Obsidian Trilogy" series.

She is one of a very few female authors that I know of and I thoroughly enjoy her writing. She can make a fantasy story that does not evolve around magic the most interesting of stories. That would be the Dragon Jousters series. The other involves magic or specifically the three different types. If a book is great, I own it. I own all of these two series in hard cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_Lack...bsidian_Trilogy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_Lack...Dragon_Jousters

I'm reading Karl Popper's "Conjectures and Refutations" right now, it's pretty interesting. I like his theory that knowledge grows through trial and error because, well, I make a lot of mistakes.

I'm reading Karl Popper's "Conjectures and Refutations" right now, it's pretty interesting. I like his theory that knowledge grows through trial and error because, well, I make a lot of mistakes.

If you never fail you will never learn how to succeed. So I think I'm over due for success heh :).

Shaftiel

lets See..... I LOVE zombie books and have read both The Zombie Survival Guide and World War 'Z' by Max Brooks (Mel Brooks Son). Those have to be two of my Favorite all time books ever.

Also, Im not sure If i can call it a book but I have read through The Origional V for Vendetta to many times to count!!!

While I have to say that Lord of the Rings has some of the best and most in-depth lore of any fantasy series, I never really loved it. I felt that all the creatures of Faerie dying out in the books, including the elves, while man was becoming dominant was just not as interesting.

That's just my opinion though.