Need a cheap case

I used this one recently and it was good to me, doesn't come with a PSU though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119068

I used this case in my work computer build. Great case, well put together, and tool-less design.

That Antec case you mentioned above is also a very good case, and it's a decent PSU that comes with it as well for a back up.

That said, I hate mail-in rebates. I sent in mine for my Antec P180 from back in March, and still haven't gotten anything back yet.

(edited)

This is what I am recommending Magruter do. As much as I want to sell my stuff, I would rather he get the best deal for his money.

He could grab this barebones setup from Tiger Direct: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...u=A458-2146%20B

It will need RAM and he can pick up 1GB stick of G-Skill DDR2 800 for 50 bucks or less (if you want CAS latency 5 versus 4) at NewEgg.

I will send him my video card now (ATI X1800XT 512MB) along with a spare legal copy of XP Pro and he can pay for it next month or when he can. It will be a little bit more than what he wanted to pay for an upgrade but it would be a better deal I think since there will be new warranties on the new stuff where mine will not. Plus, my stuff is DDR, not DDR2 and the older 939-pin. There is nothing wrong with it but my thought this is the best value for him.

Your thoughts?

Edited by ZeroDamage

That is good thinking, but I guess it all depends on his financial situation.

I agree, it would make more sense to go with a newer tech like AM2 and DDR2 (or intel core 2, price dependent) for now.

We're not suggesting "latest and greatest" on all accounts, but hey, it's your money. From my recollection, ZD's old setup is no slouch so you ought to be fine. Newer motherboards with current sockets would leave headroom for the future, but if it's not an issue to you then don't waste the money.

That Antec case gets very very high reviews on Newegg. Cujo has recommended it a few times as well.

The Coolermaster case linked above is also a great case that I have used with lots of room, etc. Not the quietest around, but I enjoyed working in it and looking at it. A+

I was going to post a link to the exact same Coolermaster that was posted above. I have it and it's an excellent case (took me a bit to figure out how to get the drives installed first...you have to take of the front which is easy). It's durable, not too heavy, has great cooling for the price, is a toolless design (if you've never worked with a toolless case...you won't want to go back after you do).

for $50 it is probably the best case for the price on the market.

The Barebone kit is better than my system. Mine is a regular DDR system 939-pin setup. This new setup is DDR2 with the AM2 socket. It is NEW and will have the full warranty. I can not warranty anything of mine beyond the RAM which is lifetime and the CPU which has a little less than 2 years of a 3 warranty left. Everything else is as is. I can assure that the stuff works now but I can not guarantee anything beyond the point that it leaves my house. It is used after all and I want to make sure that Mags does not have any problems. The hardware of mine will probably run for another 5 years without any problems but who knows with electronics and I would feel bad if something went wrong with it.

Is one fan enough?

No. It depends on the design and Rosewill are not known for the high quality. If you must buy a case, buy one like you did for your current machine. It is exactly like the one I was using in this system, it has plenty of cooling and it is cheap.

The coolermaster case that has been mentioned several times comes with a 120mm exhaust fan and a 80mm intake fan, and it does just fine cooling wise. The whole front of the case is one big air filter (lots of little holes for air to pass through backed by dust filters), so air flow is very good. Even the "blanks" for extra drives that aren't used have these holes/filters in them.

Only downside to all this airflow is a little more noise, but if that won't bother you, then I highly recommend this case :D

the sonata 2 is a great case. the psu even handled my old 3800 at 2.8ghz, 2gb of ram and a 6600gt. i've used the case once for my godparents and once for my gf's parents. it's dead silent and has sexy blue leds on the front.