Steam Driver Updates

lostoften

(edited)

you should really download the drivers directly from ati. uninstalled the old ones completely and then reboot and install the new ones. crap that your comp no longer starts. have you tried "last known good..."? or safe mode to uninstall the drivers.

Edited by Cujo

I did the same deal except I got them from ATI, rebooted to safe used driver-cleaner to wipe ATI off, reboot installed new drivers reboot - driver not found? - crap reboot - same- uninstall/reinstall drivers - same - then screw it need a fresh install of XP Pro x64 anyway so here I am at 5% steam updating CS:S - Not sure what went wrong with ATIs driver package but on reinstalling windows ATI driver package worked just fine (same download saved to secondary HDD) I was already having issues with my SATA II drivers not reading correctly so it would pop-up with the new hardware found every reboot. Very annoying but I've grown to expect this from this wonderful ( grumbles) version of windows lol.

The steam update did link to ati's website. I did not delete the old version, and think that is where my problem is. It didnt say anything about that in the install prompts (or atleast not that I saw), and i thought it was just like any other update.

It did start up with the last known good, thanks guys.

so make sure you do a full uninstalled of the ati drivers this time then reboot and install the new ones.

i've never had this message before because i always keep my drivers up-to-date. you should bookmark the ati website for your drivers and check it monthly.

i got the same message, but did have out of date drivers. i canceled the dialogue box, went to ati, and installed the new drivers (after uninstalling and driver-cleaning). i still get the dumb out of date message. :bang:

on a positive note, ati now has a driver notification email list that i joined. it might not be that new, but it's new since the last time i grabbed drivers.

Okay, so I have uninstalled (atleast I think) the old drivers, then reboot, and install the new drivers, restart, and it doesn't. Gonna give it one more try, and if not I'll reinstall the old drivers. Bad thing is "lastknown good" is now without working drivers.

:(

I should just stick to giving out drugs.

When I check the "support information here" in control panel it list the current driver :unsure:

Okay, back up and running the old drivers. Think im gonna abide by the moto "if it aint broke dont fix it" since this hasnt gone as i thought it would.

After I did the uninstall, it says to uninstall this DAO file, but I never found that.

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...uestionID=20870

Anyways, not sure if I should try and do it again, since I messed it up going from this version to the new the first time.

Could this be why I was having trouble?

737-26586: Radeonâ„¢ Series - No Display With Some TFT Monitors Through DVI Connection in Windows

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...uestionID=20870

no idea. very strange issue though. i've never had any instability with any ati drivers in windows xp. i've probably installed every ati release driver in the last 3 years too. i always add/remove everything ati. then reboot and then install the new drivers and reboot again at the prompt. never had any problems.

It's not just ATI, I have Nvidia and I had to install new Forceware drivers, however afterwards it still gave me the stupid error... I clicked the box that said do not inform me and simply went on playing CSS

steam 0 Allanon 1

if you're still getting the error even after you install the newest drivers then steam is probably picking up remnants of a previous dirty install. it may not be your most recent previous version. it may be a version from some months ago that didn't uninstall properly. i've always used the uninstaller in add/remove with no issues. i run the uninstaller and then remove any other sign of the driver in add/remove. reboot and install the new one. never had any issues with doing it that way and i've never used anything like driver cleaner. it's really not hard guys.

i got the message. went to ATI. got the drivers. installed without unistalling anything. restarted. comp/cs works fine. :luxhello:

I had 12 kittens and they all suddenly died yesterday. Now I know why!

if you're still getting the error even after you install the newest drivers then steam is probably picking up remnants of a previous dirty install. it may not be your most recent previous version. it may be a version from some months ago that didn't uninstall properly. i've always used the uninstaller in add/remove with no issues. i run the uninstaller and then remove any other sign of the driver in add/remove. reboot and install the new one. never had any issues with doing it that way and i've never used anything like driver cleaner. it's really not hard guys.

I have never had add/remove thing work properly. It always takes forever to load, won't let me add/remove half the programs in its list and even then when it does try to remove a program/driver the listing never goes away (but it does delete the driver :unsure: )

I have never had add/remove thing work properly. It always takes forever to load, won't let me add/remove half the programs in its list and even then when it does try to remove a program/driver the listing never goes away (but it does delete the driver :unsure: )

your computer must dislike you then :freak3:

I too use add/remove and have never had any problems with it. If the listing "stays" in the list, try to click on remove again and it should go away.

On that note, I haven't loaded up steam in probably a month and a half, so I know not of these driver issues. Plus I have nvidia.

if you're add/remove takes forever to load then you have a) way too many things installed or B) and old hard drive/very little ram.

if you are unable to remove things via add/remove then you've a) deleted some portion of the app manually or B) have a broken installation.

if you're add/remove takes forever to load then you have a) way too many things installed or B) and old hard drive/very little ram.

if you are unable to remove things via add/remove then you've a) deleted some portion of the app manually or B) have a broken installation.

You forgot D) All of the above

Too many things installed? That's probably it...having 2 sound cards, 2 video cards, 3 mice, 2 keyboards, a midi keyboard, 3 major Post-Production suites, Photoshop, Office, Steam, 10+games, Skype, MSN, AIM, Trillian, 2 webcams, MS wireless connection device, plus 100+ audio plug-ins...might explain it... :shrug03:

I've needed to clean up my HDs for over a year, but I have over 300 gigs of stuff I just can't delete and really don't have the time to back up to DVD or HDDVD for that matter...I'll probably just have to find a 500gig HD somewhere.

ya they're dirt cheap right now. you could come to my house. i currently have ~700gb free hdd space in my system plus another 200gb on a network storage device and i also have a 400gb drive sitting on a table in my room.