Would you or wouldn't you?

Magruter

Here's the story, one of my wife's old bosses moved to a different company in Milwaukee and wanted to bring her along, after a couple of interviews they made her a job offer. Basically we gave them a high ball offer to what are looking for they matched it. Basically she would end up making $14,000 more a year, they offered a small relocation bonus. Taking this job would require a move, me finding a new job, finding a new house... It seems like every hour i'm changing my mind to go or to stay. The people next store to us just put their condo up for sale for what we paid for ours, it's the exact same thing! That has me worried. I just needed to get some of my thoughts down, thanks for listening

Here's the story, one of my wife's old bosses moved to a different company in Milwaukee and wanted to bring her along, after a couple of interviews they made her a job offer. Basically we gave them a high ball offer to what are looking for they matched it. Basically she would end up making $14,000 more a year, they offered a small relocation bonus. Taking this job would require a move, me finding a new job, finding a new house... It seems like every hour i'm changing my mind to go or to stay. The people next store to us just put their condo up for sale for what we paid for ours, it's the exact same thing! That has me worried. I just needed to get some of my thoughts down, thanks for listening

m2 is in milwaukee.. that'd be reason enough for me to stay put...

Really though.. There are probably more factors that you're not thinking about yet since the decision is still relatively new.. An increase of 14k is alot of money to some people, and not alot to others. I guess it depends on what kind of % increase it is... and whether or not you guys are willing to flip your life upside down and make a new start.. Also.. It's definitely a buyers market right now.. and i think will be even more so for the next 12-18 months..

Give yourself some more time and i'm sure you'll figure out what is right.

Edited by mohawk

If you don't go you will always second guess your decision. Change is good, it cleanses the soul. If it were me I would would jump at the oportunity. As Teddy Roosevelt said, "It is better to have dared to be great and fail, then never to have dared at all." Heh :) Besides, like I said, if you don't go you will always wonder what could have been.

On the other hand moving to Milwaukee could be a sign of the apocalypse, and giant scorpians will rise out of the ground and eat you. But thats seems unlikely.

So to answer your question, yes, I would go. Giant scorpians and all heh :lol2:

Shaftiel

P.S. One point of caution, if you are dependant apon two incomes, be very sure that jobs in your field and at the pay required are available in the new local before moving. Important safety tip right there! :)

I understand your pain, I am doing the same thing. We are looking at moving to Vancouver and face the same questions as you. I always say that it is not money that should drive you but quality of life. Do you love where u are or is it just safe? Do you feel you are running in circles and maybe time for a change or fresh start? Kids...will they hate leaving their school, friends,etc? What is the housing market at the destination? Will the cost put to much strain on you and your family to more or will it bring all of you together?

Like I said I have been asking the same questions to myself. :-)

Just think about it, but dont stay because you are scared and do not sgo because you are excited.

Good journey, and cheers.

Can you perform your job remotely?
No, working on a job transfer.. ..Have a meeting with 2 of my bosses this afternoon to discuss our options.
If you can't sell your house, can you rent it until you can?
I could rent it, but if something were to go wrong i'd have to drive the 1.5 hours for repairs.
How easy is it for you to find a job in your field in that area?
I was unemployed for 6 months while i was in the area 2 yrs back, i lost 4 or 5 jobs to internal hires.
Can you live in two locations until you find a replacement job and/or your house is sold?
Might be able too, my family and her family is in the area, instead of a 1.5 hour drive. It would only be 30 mins... But then again when i brought up that idea, it sounded like i was trying to get rid of her... ...I should have let her come up with it.Not scared about change, but i know my wife is. It's just all the specifics that lead up to the change, that worry me. Selling the house is number 1.. Personally i know i would never regret the decision if i didn't go. I have great friends here, love the fishing in the area, and Madison is a great town. I would honestly miss it. I've lived in the milwaukee area for 6 years, traffic sucks, fishing is ok, and i have good friends. But most importantly out family is down there, if/when we decide to have kids... It would be nice to be close to both our parents.
Give yourself some more time and i'm sure you'll figure out what is right.
That's the bad thing, that want to know by tomorrow... Oh and another thing, my wife is pretty much laid off at the end of year from her current job.

What are some other questions that you would ask yourself?

Can you live comfortably on her income while you find another job for 2-3 months?

Look into short term leases in milwaukee, like 2-6 month rentals. I know a decent place in Hales Corners that does this. Do that while trying to sell your house and you live in it during the week for a month while you try and look for a job?

I have a pantry we dont use, you can throw a single bed in there for ya lol

My wife and I have just moved to Frisco, TX from Cincinnati with my work (not for a new job).

Quality of life was a major motivation for our move and on the whole it is better, the cost of living is lower the people we've met have all been very friendly etc. One of the core things about the meeting new folks is that we live fairly closely "Headquarters Drive" in Dallas, and there are a lot of transitional families who are new to the area etc. so that has made it easier.

My wife was able to move with her work, but...... they made a position for her, she now doesn't like who she is working with, doesn't like the new job etc. so she will soon be packing it in and looking for a new job after 15 years with the same company and that has made the move a lot tougher for her than it could have been.

We have our house on the market in Cincinnati, and it's costing about (including taxes, insurance, having someone cut the grass, gas etc. etc.) $700 a month with it sat empty, it's a nice house in a nice subdivision, but there are 90 houses in the same price range in the same school district for sale, so there's no shortage of choice for buyers. (And that $700 doesn't include the additional mortgage payments I'm having to make while I'm running two homes).

I did receive a raise with the move and the company paid for all my relocation expenses + a lump sum relocation bonus, so we are not out of pocket from the move and on the whole our quality of life (primarily non financial) has improved a great deal.

With the additional cost of currently running two homes we aren't financially any better off than we were in Cinci, but our quality of life is better, I'm enjoying my work more, my wife loves the area (but not her job), the kids have settled in great and are enjoying themselves and we're the happiest we've been.

So while a lot of the above doesn't appear positive, we would definitely do it again, change is good.

In short I agree with DNA entirely, I had the option of not moving, we're not financially better off (at the moment, although career wise I am), but from a life standpoint, the move was really 100% positive and has only brought good things to our family.

The financial piece is only a small part of the bigger picture.

Oh and I know the "wife reluctant to change" piece, I've had that also, a lot of being the "rock" had to happen throughout the move. Some initial visits to Dallas, time spent together looking for houses on the internet etc. all the little things you can do together can help the move.

Edited by Leveller

Honestly?? 1.5 hour drive? You're moving from one side of Toronto to the other...many people's commute into the city is longer than that.

15k a year plus bonuses sounds like a good price if it means you get to play all the CS you want during the week :mwink:

Can you live comfortably on her income while you find another job for 2-3 months?

Possible, but more than likely she would commute, with living one day a week at her parents house. That way I can continue to work.

Look into short term leases in milwaukee, like 2-6 month rentals. I know a decent place in Hales Corners that does this. Do that while trying to sell your house and you live in it during the week for a month while you try and look for a job?

No need for short term lease, we'd move in with one our parents for a couple of months.

I have a pantry we dont use, you can throw a single bed in there for ya lol

Thanks but no, I'm just surprised you didn't say you can have the pantry and your wife can have my bed :P

All joking aside, it sounds like you have a pretty good support system if you make the move and it really doesn't look like it would be all that strenuous on either of you for a moderate period of time.

Important question is tho Magrubber, are there any good fishin holes nearby?

Mags my pal- it is just 1.5 hours, not several states away :wavey: . I would go for it, unless your quality of living and enjoying your surrounding would decrease (like someone else said). Perhaps you have already givin them a yes or no, but I agree that change is good, unless it is bad change, then it's bad, or if it's incorrect change, then it's just wrong. :unsure:

all the best, -teh_orange

I learned a lesson, thankfully at a young age. Im 25 now and own a townhouse. Do not buy a place until you are settled in and know for sure you aren't moving for a while. I think Im going to move back into my one bedroom apartment. At least I didn't have to buy

-hardwood floors to replace the nasty carpet

-a new roof

-Air Condiditon - replace compressor

-buy a new stove

-redo the fireplace

-soon replace all the carpet upstairs

the list goes on and on..sigh... I wish I was 16 again living in my parents basement. Do you have any idea how many playstation games I could have??

Ron,

Where's your old house? i'm looking for one and want to stay in cincinnati! :)

I got out of my parents as soon as i could.. yeah i didn't save as much but i learned the responsibility and money management a whole lot quicker!

Edited by Windex

Ron,

Where's your old house? i'm looking for one and want to stay in cincinnati! :)

I got out of my parents as soon as i could.. yeah i didn't save as much but i learned the responsibility and money management a whole lot quicker!

Just dropped you an email.

I missed all this... Mag's, what was the decision? You guys making the move? I have no new input, everyone else brought up everything that I would have said.

I would tend to agree, change is good...

I agree, moving from Sacramento CA to Fayetteville AR was one of the best things I ever did even though it REALLY didn't seem like it at the time.

Mag...you'll have to sit down and weight out your options. It's a significant change that requires lots of thought. What field are you in? is there a possibility your current employer has a company down there they could recommend? or maybe they have an office over there?. A $14,000 raise is quite significant. In the end...do what's best for the both of you, not what's best for one of you.