Help Build a $10k machine

Playaa

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farmers are VERY bad for MMORPGS.

i wouldn't blame the farmers. i'd blame the people that buy them off ebay. they make the market. any game where this is possible though is just ridiculous.

(edited)

i wouldn't blame the farmers. i'd blame the people that buy them off ebay. they make the market. any game where this is possible though is just ridiculous.

Thats like blaming the people who buy drugs(illegal ones) instead of the drug dealer... Then we should blame the game Company for making items cost 100 times more than you have when you reach the required level to wear them. :spin2: I played lineage 2 for 2 years. By the time I had enough cash to get my D grade top gear, I was almost ready for my C stuff. And that cost almost 4 times more than the D did. Also, you're pretty quick to jump the gun on people who actually buy online cash. Depending on the game you're playing farmers don't just sell online currency for these games. Farmers will steal, lie, and cheat you out of items. A lot of times the GMs won't do anything to help you. They'll just tell you that "theres no log" or "we don't reimburse items". Now, Farmers take up HUGH amounts of space in MMORPGs. In lineage 2, I could walk from a starter town, and see around... 30-50 Farmers all the way to say... Aden. Thats about a 4 or 5 hour walk without a strider. And if you enter a farmers area, you'll probably end up getting killed if the botter is watching. And some botter progs can set to auto kill you. Now, in lineage 2 there is a penalty for killing other players. Its called the Karma system. But since most botters use more than one account, this protects them. 1-4 players vs 1 guy with 10 bots. And a lot of botters will stick together. You might end up with 20-30 botters mad at you for messing with a farmer. Trust me, Farmers are the BIGGEST reason why I don't mess with MMOs anymore. The GMs won't do anything because farmers pay a lot more than I would to play. So don't blame the people who buy the stuff. Blame the Farmers and the game company for supporting them.

Edited by Xoul

+100

the farmers are terrible because they're ruining the atmosphere and the spirit of the game for those who actually want to play. the companies aren't good because they don't do enough to ban the farmers. the people that pay real money to farmers for in-game stuff are the biggest morons ever. the whole thing sucks. is that what you want, xoul? :)

Thats like blaming the people who buy drugs(illegal ones) instead of the drug dealer...

what's wrong with that?

What came first, drug users or drug dealers? I know everyone has their opinion. But its not someones fault if you're forced. And the WHOLE point I was making was that farmers FORCE players to quit, or to buy their currency. If I went by your logic, eventually when I broke it down... we would just blame everyone who ever played the game. Because its their fault it was popular. There are two ways to look at it, 1. People wouldn't buy it if it wasn't made available. 2. People wouldn't sell it if people wouldn't buy it. It really is a double edged sword. I personally look at it like this. Do you punish people who buy it who greatly out number those who sell it. Or those who sell it whose numbers are quite fewer. In my opinion the game I use to play lineage 2 died when farmers took over. There was way too many for a lot of players. Some of the biggest reasons why the game failed was because of the outrageous prices the company had set. I'm sure there are people who still play it, but someone would have to be buying currency just to keep up. My self, I was forced to buy and resell rare items. And that took up more time than actually leveling my character up. Who wants to spend 90% of game play bartering? Certain games it might not have as bad as an affect on. But when farmers start controlling a large portion of the game, I think its time for something to happen. The farmers need to boot. But, in the case of lineage 2, NCsoft cares more about their money than they do about their players.

NCsoft cares more about their money than they do about their players.

Pretty sure that's what every company does. Even if they "seem" to care more about their customers, it's just so that they can keep your business...

I say we punish everyone, even if they're innocent. Dont want to be discriminatory!

Thats like blaming the people who buy drugs(illegal ones) instead of the drug dealer...

what's wrong with that?

What came first, drug users or drug dealers? I know everyone has their opinion. But its not someones fault if you're forced. And the WHOLE point I was making was that farmers FORCE players to quit, or to buy their currency.

users came first. the dealers started when they saw the market.

ya, it sucks that there are fun games ruined by people like that but you'll get things that ruin the game in ANY multiplayer game. looking at cheating in cs. it's arguably just as bad at ruining the game for people.

when you talk about cheating you can't blame the makers, the users CHOOSE whether to use cheats. same as CHOOSING to buy from farmers in mmorpgs.

(edited)

Hey Cujo... what do you think microsoft would do if someone wrote a hack for windows, and they caught the guy? Would they blame the people who use the hack, or the guy who wrote it. W/e. I don't feel like arguing about your opinion anymore Cujo. The whole POINT of my post in this thread was selling currency is wrong. Regardless of WHO buys it. A cop wouldn't run out and shoot a 12 year old after he purchased illegal drugs, and let the dealer walk free. I never said those who BOUGHT it shouldn't be punished(online currency). Both sides are VERY wrong, but the one who sells it should be punished more than the person buying it. Seller-IP perm ban. Buyer-Account ban(aloud account repurchase) or simply all characters deleted. And DarkArchon... seriously? Think about it... how many people quit because of farmers vs farmers in the game. More people quit because of farmers than there are farmers. When I played lineage 2... there were ALWAYS people 1-35 and then they quit. That was it. The top level is 78 now I believe. So if... 6000 people quit because of 200 farmers, did they really make a profit? NCsoft didn't recognize that farmers were a problem until a year or so ago and they did a mass ban. If you don't agree with my opinions cujo, you don't have to. The way I look at it is, wrong is wrong. No matter how you twist it.

Edited by Xoul

i know this thread has gone WAY off topic but what's wrong with a simple, good hearted debate? i'm not trying to say you're wrong i'm just arguing my points and poking holes in yours. it's not a personal attack in any way. i was quite enjoying the debate actually...

i still don't feel the farmers have any responsibility in this as they would not exist if there was no market. if farming is so easy why don't the people that buy from the farmers just do it themselves?

personally, i think the 12yr old's parents should be shot but that's another debate altogether.

(edited)
i know this thread has gone WAY off topic but what's wrong with a simple, good hearted debate? i'm not trying to say you're wrong i'm just arguing my points and poking holes in yours. it's not a personal attack in any way. i was quite enjoying the debate actually...

i still don't feel the farmers have any responsibility in this as they would not exist if there was no market. if farming is so easy why don't the people that buy from the farmers just do it themselves?

personally, i think the 12yr old's parents should be shot but that's another debate altogether.

I didn't see were you poked holes in mine... I was just keeping it simple, and you were forcing me to explain it further. Then jumping off topic when I used an simile to show what I was getting at. Next time I'll just simply say "It violates the EULA so its wrong, and anything that EVER violates the EULA is also wrong" And if you don't agree with that, maybe you should ask the people who wrote the EULA why its a violation of their EULA.

7. OFFICIAL SERVICE

NC Interactive has designed Lineage II for official play only as offered through the Service by NC Interactive at the Web Site and not through any other means. You further agree not to access, create or provide any other means through which Lineage II may be played by others, as through server emulators. You agree not to use any hardware or software, including but not limited to third party tools, or any other method of support which may in any way influence or advantage your use of the Service which is not authorized by NC Interactive, including but not limited to the use of ‘bots’ and/or any other method by which the Service may be played automatically without human input. You acknowledge that you do not have the right to create, publish, distribute, create derivative works from or use any software programs, utilities, applications, emulators or tools derived from or created for Lineage II, except that you may use the Software to the extent expressly permitted by this Agreement. You may not take any action which imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. You may not sell or auction any Lineage II accounts, characters, items, currency or copyrighted material for real-world money or items or services of any value, nor may you assist others in doing so.

FULL EULA

Edited by Xoul

(edited)

if you read dell's eula it states they can sell you used parts in their "new" systems. isn't that wrong? but it says they can do it in the eula so that makes it right i guess.

you probably couldn't even count how many times you've violated the windows eula.

never since the beginning have i ever stated whether farming is right or wrong. my WHOLE argument is that there would be NO FARMING if people didn't buy in. whether it's right or wrong doesn't even matter.

Edited by Cujo

I imagine this is how Les Miserables would have turned out if Victor Hugo were an MMO player:

JVJ24601: "D00d! i cant have 1337 stuffz if i dont pay teh farmz0rs for gold! yer game is brkoen i had no choise."

Admin: "Tough, buying gold is against the EULA. I don't care if the game is unplayable, you still broke the law. Let them buy cake."

Thenard: "oh my pwnt lolol!"

Enjolras: "I'm starting a blog to whine about this game! It's like a revolution, only we're still paying to play and instead of bloodshed in the streets there's whining on an ineffectual public forum with effectively no barrier to entry! They'll HAVE to give us what we want! Can you hear the people mope?"

M4R|V5: "Man, this game still sucks and I'm still paying for it. So many people typed up whiny posts but nothing changed! When will it all end? What will be the cost to players everywhere? *Mope*"

Edited by appalachian_fox

(edited)
if you read dell's eula it states they can sell you used parts in their "new" systems. isn't that wrong? but it says they can do it in the eula so that makes it right i guess.

you probably couldn't even count how many times you've violated the windows eula.

never since the beginning have i ever stated whether farming is right or wrong. my WHOLE argument is that there would be NO FARMING if people didn't buy in. whether it's right or wrong doesn't even matter.

Whatever Cujo, now you're not making sense. You stated that "blame the people who buy it." blame them for what if nothing wrong was done? Please Cujo, go back CAREFULLY and reread what you've typed if you'd like to make what you mean clear. Implying that something wrong was done is the same as stating it. You even go as far to say that selling it isn't wrong. Cujo:"i wouldn't blame the farmers." That, by definition is saying that they did nothing wrong. Also, could you share with us where it states in the dell eula where it says this? I read the entire thing and I failed to find it. Maybe you're reading a different eula than I am? Heres the one I read Dell terms of sales I don't know, but it seems to me that you're slightly more inept when it comes to debating something than I.

blame (blm)

tr.v. blamed, blam·ing, blames

1. To hold responsible.

2. To find fault with; censure.

3. To place responsibility for (something): blamed the crisis on poor planning.

n.

1. The state of being responsible for a fault or error; culpability.

2. Censure; condemnation.

Idiom:

to blame

1. Deserving censure; at fault.

2. Being the cause or source of something: A freak storm was to blame for the power outage.

thanks http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

Edited by Xoul

alright, the instant that someone feels the need to quote a dictionary definition in a combative tone, it's time to close this thread. I think we're all in agreement that this guy is an idiot anyway, that's the only real point that needs to be made here.