Nintendo Wii Popularity

stutters

Hi folks!

I have a brand new, never-been-opened Nintendo Wii for sale. I was shooting for a sell price of $400-$500. Interested? Send me a PM.

I never would have thought that people would still be paying double retail cost just over a year since release date. Nintendo really nailed this one.

My kid's want one for Christmas but I said strait up it's not gonna happen this year. I said that a month ago. I prolly get one but I'm gonna wait till summer (son's bday). Seems people just buy them only to resell them. Nice plan though, if I see 10 in a store I'm gonna grab 'em all!

Hi folks!

I have a brand new, never-been-opened Nintendo Wii for sale. I was shooting for a sell price of $400-$500. Interested? Send me a PM.

I never would have thought that people would still be paying double retail cost just over a year since release date. Nintendo really nailed this one.

I see it the other way, Nintendo really messed this one up. If they had more consoles out there, instead of someone buying one for 250 and selling it for 500 they could have two people buying 1 console each for 250 each. Nintendo never sees the other 250 dollars right now.

Hi folks!

I see it the other way, Nintendo really messed this one up. If they had more consoles out there, instead of someone buying one for 250 and selling it for 500 they could have two people buying 1 console each for 250 each. Nintendo never sees the other 250 dollars right now.

Not counting the software and accessories they're not selling to people who simply can't find a Wii to use them with.

Hi folks!

Not counting the software and accessories they're not selling to people who simply can't find a Wii to use them with.

Both valid theories, but have you seen their stock price since the Wii was released?

Lower release amounts keeps the demand high - if they had released enough for everyone when it came out it would not be such a hot item and still wanted by so many folks. I think this is the best move Nintendo has done to move to the forefront of the console marketplace - they have pretty much destroyed the 360 and PS3 in terms of desirability, hotness and just plain fun. I still get a chuckle out of the folks who paid $3,000+ on Ebay the first couple weeks for the PS3 when it came out.

Lower release amounts keeps the demand high - if they had released enough for everyone when it came out it would not be such a hot item and still wanted by so many folks. I think this is the best move Nintendo has done to move to the forefront of the console marketplace - they have pretty much destroyed the 360 and PS3 in terms of desirability, hotness and just plain fun. I still get a chuckle out of the folks who paid $3,000+ on Ebay the first couple weeks for the PS3 when it came out.

It wouldn't be wanted by so many people because they would already have them and Nintendo would be making even more money than they are now.

Just to continue hijacking Unclean's thread, they do have an item that's still selling like you wouldn't believe. I personally think the DS has more to do with Nintendo's current high than the "elusive" Wii.

We have a Wii, I think it's fantastic and it's great fun for all the family, don't get me wrong I'm certainly not knocking it, but I can't believe from a financial standpoint for Nintendo that it's had anywhere near the impact the DS has had for them.

In fairness, they have the handheld market wrapped up pretty well.

I think from the numbers I've seen recently Nintendo actually shipped over 600,000 DS during the Thanksgiving week, over 40,000,000 since they were released in 2004. Admitedly the 6,000,000+ Wiis is impressive as well, but I couldn't get my head around the total number of DSs sold in the US when I first read it, particularly when you think about the games and accessories market as well.

Someone explain to me what's so awesome about the DS. I mean, I've seen them and played with them and they are entertaining...but what makes it so amazing? Everyone who I know who has one is in love with it...but they can't really tell me why.

Someone explain to me what's so awesome about the DS. I mean, I've seen them and played with them and they are entertaining...but what makes it so amazing? Everyone who I know who has one is in love with it...but they can't really tell me why.

For me, it's all about the versatility. There are a lot of games for it, it's pretty easy to transport, and it's one of those things you can pick up and play for 15 or 30 minutes and then put away again. Plus it comes in handy for portable entertainment, if you want to Zelda on-the-go. :)

There are a lot of other things it can do that I haven't really explored yet, like web browsing, wireless gaming, emulators, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=018

$5 Million Wii. :biglaugha: I hope no one pays this woman $5mill for that Wii. She can't spell for crap, plus she insults "rich people."

My favorite part of this bid is in the Q&A section:

Q: Hi, I just wanted to let you know that it is very generous of you to include the shipping!!!

A: Thank you, but of course the real generous ones would be the buyer/bidders willing to do this and share their wealth and goodwill. Peace to you you and yours! mrs_big_dog

Edited by YoMamma

I agree that the Wii has alot of popularity. But alot of what you are seeing now is simply because Nintendo did not produce enough to meet the demand. Console makers do not make their money on the systems, they make em on the games and accessories. The more folks they can get with these things the more money they make. If they had enough to sell to everyone that wanted em, they could still sell em at the price they wanted. I mean, how many people out there say to themselves "I do not know for sure if I want this... but I can't get one anywhere! I must have one now!" At this point you really have to want one for Nintendo to make a sale. All those that are on the fence are not buying em (and not getting all the controllers and games either).

Say what you want about how great the Wii is (personally I think it is only a good kid/party system) but it is a total botch job by Nintendo on the distribution.

Maybe a botch job but they designed the system that has has sold more units than anyone else. And demand is still very strong. I wish I could botch it up like that.

Design wise not a botch. Perhaps qualified as a botch compared to what they could be making if eveyone that kinda wanted, wanted, or really wanted them could write them a check.

I agree that the Wii has alot of popularity. But alot of what you are seeing now is simply because Nintendo did not produce enough to meet the demand. Console makers do not make their money on the systems, they make em on the games and accessories. The more folks they can get with these things the more money they make. If they had enough to sell to everyone that wanted em, they could still sell em at the price they wanted. I mean, how many people out there say to themselves "I do not know for sure if I want this... but I can't get one anywhere! I must have one now!" At this point you really have to want one for Nintendo to make a sale. All those that are on the fence are not buying em (and not getting all the controllers and games either).

Say what you want about how great the Wii is (personally I think it is only a good kid/party system) but it is a total botch job by Nintendo on the distribution.

I personally they didn't botch the delivery...I believe this was done on purpose to prolong the hype about it. They only put out so many consoles on the market and naturally they were all sold out. People who didn't get one right away just talked about getting one all the time and would hit the stores looking for them. The more they couldnt' find it, the more they wanted it! and sometimes this would spread to friends because they would see everyone trying to get this magic white box and they're like...well if everyone wants one it must be good. Trust me i fell for it. I got my wii 1 month after release cuz i happened to catch a UPS truck on delivery to a future shop store. But after playing it, it just didnt interest me anymore. Now it sits in my basement used once in a while, heck i play more guitar hero on my ps2 than i play my wii all together....and these days i dont really play ps2..so that tells you how much i play my wii.

Nintendo is smart they hooked me into buying this cuz of all the hype....all you who dont have the console yet are acting just like i did before i had mine. So back to your comment farmer, it was a strategic play on nintendo's part and it worked brilliantly.