Nintendo Wii Popularity

stutters

I'm one of those people that would actually consider picking up a Wii if I ever saw one on a store shelf, even though I've never had the "I need to have it NOW" itch. However, I will never - ever - pay gray market prices like that, no matter how badly I want something. People that buy brand new systems with the pure intention of turning around and exploiting those that actually want them so they can PLAY them make me ill. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it's true. Play the "free economy" card all you want, but people that pay much (if anything) over retail for that stuff are stupid. I can understand a $40 "finder's fee" or something since being persistent and showing up to stores early is part of the game, but I believe there wouldn't be as much trouble to find Wiis if people weren't going in and buying 6 of them themselves and trying to make double what they payed. This isn't meant to be a personal attack on Unclean and all other GCers (no matter if they may be buyers or sellers in the gray market). I was just shocked and slightly dismayed to see the "for sale" post with an asking price up to 100% inflated from the retail price. I'm hoping the people in this community wouldn't go for that.

I'm sure you will get that kind of money on E-Bay (people spend it like that all the time there), but I can't personally condone the tactics. There are plenty of other ways to make money out there, folks.

Again, sorry if this offended anyone, that wasn't my intention. I just needed to get that out.

/rant

Peace to all and apologies to those who may have been offended. :peace:

Ty for the post, boilersax -- it's good to hear the other side.

How do you feel about the people that profit from flipping houses? Or making money in the stock market? They also profit from buying low and selling high.

I understand what you're getting at, but those aren't retail products that already have a set price attached to it from a manufacturer. Flipping houses isn't something easily done, unless you fix them up and make them better than they were before, or you wait until the market goes up and the value increases naturally - which is no different than everyone else who buys and sells a house (and lives in them). The home owner can try to set a price, but the surrounding market is how the selling price will be determined. Playing the stock market is also buy low, sell high (same as the principles for the housing market) but who is anyone to say what the ideal buying/selling prices for stocks are? The companies are the ones that are affected, and as long as the company is solid, Joe Smith buying and selling his stock isn't going to affect it much.

In this case, Nintendo already has a set price that every retailer with the systems is using. Nintendo isn't really losing out on the console sales (although they are missing the accessories and game sales initially), it's the people that actually want the systems that are losing out simply because they had bad timing with trying to get one at the store. It's not the worst form of exploitation by any means, but I still don't think it's right. I could even understand someone buying a Wii a couple of months ago, trying it out for themselves, and if they found it wasn't for them, selling it for regular retail price. However, that's only a "mark-up" of $40-50 or so for a gently used product. Similar to a finder's fee, that's understandable to me. $100+ over retail price is not though.

In reality, at least in my opinion, you cannot compare the stock market and housing markets to retail markets. They are all governed by supply and demand, but in the retail market it's the manufacturer's job to set a price and maximize profits. I realize Nintendo COULD be selling these systems for more than they are, but I don't believe it should be the role of the consumers to then artificially inflate the price to take advantage of what Nintendo technically isn't. The scooping up and subsequent mark-up of the console prices just isn't fair to the fellow consumer. Unfortunately, there are too many people that are WILLING to pay these marked up prices, which is what is encouraging the whole thing in the first place. I know the supply/demand curve and how pricing is affected by it, but I just feel that the limited supply wouldn't be quite as much of a problem if there wasn't a gray market for these things and the people that actually wanted the systems were the ones getting them.

I realize that you didn't create the market, but just because others are doing it doesn't make it right, at least in my opinion. I know you will get your asking price on Ebay though, so good luck with the sale.

All of this will even out once they start manufacturing enough of these things I suppose.

Ok enough seriousness, I don't know if any of that made sense, but I'm done now. I will now return you to your regularly scheduled random funny comments and lolcats.

Alright... I see what you're getting at. The bottom line for you is that inflated "finders fees" are unfair to consumers, since they are being sold for an amount higher than the price set by the manufacturer.

Consumers don't have to pay extra, though. They can wait in lines or figure out other ways to purchase them from stores. Or not purchase them. Is that "unfair" to consumers? No one is forcing them to buy one right now. They could buy one later when there isn't as high of a demand.

The way I see it, marked-up Wiis appeal to the lazy and those that require instant gratification. For everyone else, they'll just have to go through the same methods to get one as everyone else... waiting in lines, going to stores at odd hours, etc.

I'm glad Nintendo is kicking so much arse. They deserve it. Over the years they've been the company that's always seemed to care most about its customers, and they've ALWAYS built a quality system.

The ps2 and the ps3 both have issues in reliability and Sony taking away the reverse compatibility of the ps3 so they can sell more ps2s is complete crap. You'd never see Nintendo make a move like that.

The XBOX was a real solid system, but the 360 has had serious issues because the first two production lines of the system had an inherent defect. (mine is currently at a repair shop) True, MS extended the warranty to cover it, but still, that's never happened with Nintendo.

All-in-all, 3 cheers for Nintendo! :spin2:

P.S. I love my Wii...and Rayman Raving Rabbits is hillarious

I'm glad Nintendo is kicking so much arse. They deserve it. Over the years they've been the company that's always seemed to care most about its customers, and they've ALWAYS built a quality system.

The ps2 and the ps3 both have issues in reliability and Sony taking away the reverse compatibility of the ps3 so they can sell more ps2s is complete crap. You'd never see Nintendo make a move like that.

The XBOX was a real solid system, but the 360 has had serious issues because the first two production lines of the system had an inherent defect. (mine is currently at a repair shop) True, MS extended the warranty to cover it, but still, that's never happened with Nintendo.

All-in-all, 3 cheers for Nintendo! :spin2:

P.S. I love my Wii...and Rayman Raving Rabbits is hillarious

Just to point out, Nintendo has never graced the edge of technology, they have always held back on account of stability (minus the NES, which is probably the most unreliable system behind the PS1 and PS2 in my experience, especially considering that it lacks any moving parts)

But seriously, the Wii is just a GameCube with a new controller and online. It's considered a toy instead of a games console by most people who buy it (see its attachment rate compared to the 360).

Nintendo is a very smart company. Don't think for one second that this supply "shortage" wasn't planned. Right now, in competition between Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo needs the buzz to keep going if they are going to stay in the "fight". If everyone who wanted a Wii got one then Nintendo would have to face the issue with its lack luster games library (SMG, SMBB, Metroid and Zelda are the only games most gamers can tolerate sober and alone). To combat this they ensure a slow adoption rate to keep the Wii as the one thing everyone wants as opposed to the one thing everyone already has. I really feel the Wii is just a place holder for Nintendo so they can keep out of the majority of this "next-gen console war" until they have technology they are willing to put in a console that can actually be characterized as "next-gen". It makes sense in Nintendo's world, get everyone hooked on the Wii hype (don't over saturate the market, keep people hungry for it) then the second the big two players begin to slow down, announce your new console. I wouldn't be surprised at all to be reading about Nintendo's next console this time next year slated for the 2009 holiday season.

Just my two cents.

If everyone who wanted a Wii got one then Nintendo would have to face the issue with its lack luster games library (SMG, SMBB, Metroid and Zelda are the only games most gamers can tolerate sober and alone).

I'm having trouble playing super mario galaxy as is. It's so . . . flowery. And normally I'm not bothered by games that aren't all buff men, excessive violence and crudeness like everything seems to be imitating these days, but I literally have a limit with this game where I have to put it down after awhile because I'm tired of listening to Mario's almost erotic exclamations of joy (especially after beating a stage). Zelda was pretty good, but also didn't have that enthrallment factor that keeps me sitting in front of the screen for hours.

I actually don't understand the hype about the Wii or the DS. I only want to play Elite Beat Angels, every other game I've seen released for it doesn't look good to me. The Wii's controller is a hassle to me 'cause I like to sit like a slug when I play games. I also have the shakes really bad, so motion sensing really sucks for me. It takes me forever to aim with the wiimote. The Wii is definitely good and deserves to be in the lead right now, but the fact that it always manages to get on the news and is heavily hyped is undeserving. It's really not THAT great. You can get into a Halo 3 match or MotorStorm race just as much if you let it. Actually, playing MotorStorm online in first person or close-up camera with motion sensing controls is a rush (You'll definitely lose though.)

Edited by Saris

I really feel the Wii is just a place holder for Nintendo so they can keep out of the majority of this "next-gen console war" until they have technology they are willing to put in a console that can actually be characterized as "next-gen".

I think you're very wrong. Ever since the Playstation came out and blew the N64 away in graphics, I think Nintendo realized that they don't want to compete for the "next-gen" market. It's a pointless game because there will always be a new "next-gen" console coming out. I think that Nintendo realizes that they have the market cornered on casual gamers and families. Considering our culture has moved away from shunning video games and gamers...I'd say they are doing an excellent job for themselves ignoring what is going to be the future fringe (gamers that want the latest, hottest title on the best system) and they are building a customer base around what will be the mainstream (the "youth" and the "family" groups). Not only is it a good plan for the future, it's a good plan now because, while we generalize "gamers" as one category, the truth is that people who want a Wii are rarely the same people who want a PS3 or XBox360. I'd say Nintendo has the market cornered exactly where they want it.

Plus the Wii is not exactly killing the competition.

http://nexgenwars.com/

I feel that these numbers show that the Wii IS killing the competition.

360: November 22, 2005 - Release Date

Units sold: 12,731,842

WII: November 19, 2006 - Release Date

Unites sold: 13,177,809

PS3: November 11, 2006 - Release Date

Units sold: 5,453,833

Not only has the Wii outsold the competition, but the XBOX360 has a surplus of units sitting on the shelves, plus a year's head start on the "race." The Wii still is in high demand to the point that I still have not seen one on store shelves since release date over a year ago, plus it was released a year after the 360.

Also, I'm not sure if you knew this, but the only month that the 360 outsold the Wii since its release date was the month that Halo 3 came out (Sept).

The PS3 isn't even worth mentioning.

Here's how I see it:

Wii - not truly next gen and has a gimmick, makes a profit on every system and relies mainly on first party titles to drive their product. appeals to the casual gamer and creating new gamers.

360 - has good support for developers and is easy to program for. has a great online infrastructure which makes people want to play titles on their system. fail rate for the system is horrid.

PS3 - has horrid support for developers and is difficult to program for. their online infrastructure won't be solid until home comes out. sony is losing software exclusivity since the 360 came out but once developers figure out how to program for it, software sales will grow. has the best overall features for a next gen system.

Nintendo is a very smart company. Don't think for one second that this supply "shortage" wasn't planned. Right now, in competition between Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo needs the buzz to keep going if they are going to stay in the "fight". If everyone who wanted a Wii got one then Nintendo would have to face the issue with its lack luster games library (SMG, SMBB, Metroid and Zelda are the only games most gamers can tolerate sober and alone).

The reason I bought a Wii was for Zelda....Ocarina of time and Twilight Princess are my favorite games to ever be created. There storyline captured me when I was what..7? And it still gets me every time I play now...Super smash bros. Original was absolutely kick #@!. I'm looking forward to brawl. These 2 games made me buy this console, Do I regret it? A bit...

A) Online, I bought a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector made for the DS but Wii compatible...Worst 40 some bucks ever..Installation was an absolute *****. Firewall problems and it not reading my Wii was a heart attack waiting too happen...Once I got it working, It will work for 40 minutes and time out...Friends have the same problem..what if I time out during a SSBB match!?

B) SSBM sucked....I'm kind of scared....Hopefully Brawl will recapture the crispness in moves that the first game had and rely heavily on spikes...Melee made it an edge camping button mashing lamefest....

C) With games like Assassins creed coming out, and halo 3...I think I'd much rather spend my time online yelling at kids on live then I would with timing out every 40 minutes trying to download an old nes game...

Maybe once money gets flowing I will buy a 360. I personally will never buy a Playstation...1..2..3...10...I cant get my head around how much the 3rd one costs...The lack of games really depresses me...

Edited by Dr.cLaShiZ

Well said Playaa -

The Wii did exactly what they planned - they captured the casuals and families. Having kids in elementary school I do not know one child that is not yammering at their parents for a Wii and a DS. Will Nintendo capture the hard core gamers? Nope - but that is not the intent. It is a gamer for people who do not play video games as their commercials stated. I know many families with a Wii and many, many more who are anxious to get one. This is the market to keep them going. The hard-core gaming market is covered and , in my opinion, not as large an area for sales as what the Wii has opened up.

Heck - look at the Wii being used in retirement homes, physical rehab facilities and other places of business. My wife's company took one to a sales conference and had every vendor at their booth playing the Wii at one point or another. You would never get that with the 360 or PS3. Plus the games are more tailored to the family and kids and MUCH more friendly. Compare Mario Galaxies with Assassins Creed and see which one you would let your kids play...

Most folks on here lean to the hard-core side of gaming so I can understand why the Wii would not appeal to many....low blood/gore/action. But the number posted above from nexgen show how easily the Wii is killing the competition.

Edited by soul .gc

It is either funny or sad... but i have mature or aged to the point I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer anymore. I don't spend 10 hours a week playing games and when I do it's a strategy game or *gasp* solitaire. And I find that the Wii appeals to me greatly. It is a system that I would like for my kids. Something I can see us playing as an entire family. And that is important to me.

And I am going to line my pockets by selling the one stashed in my closet. And you will neither stop me or make me feel bad. :P

Wii = Mac of the console world.

In what respect? Not in terms of market share or demographics.

Mac has less than 10% of the PC market and appeals to the higher-income demographics.

Wii has the majority of the gaming market and appeals to the lower-income demographics.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/841/841406p1.html

Videogame software sales tracker NPD Group released November data and, unsurprisingly, Nintendo's DS handheld and Wii home console held the number-one and two spots respectively. More than 1.5 million gamers picked up the DS in November and about 981,000 players picked up a Wii, according to NPD data. Microsoft's Xbox 360 console pulled in another 770,000 gamers; PlayStation Portable 567,000; PlayStation 2 496,000 and PlayStation 3 466,000.